They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exporting unfinishing movie, picture quality and latest PRE

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Exporting unfinishing movie, picture quality and latest PRE

Postby sjf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:26 pm

Still using PRE15 but desperately need to update to newest MAC OS and then of course update Adobe. Have many hours put into unfinished editing job with many more hours to go. Would hate to scrap what I have already done and start all over. Original imported source material is VHS tape digitized to standard DVD. If i export this unfinished project to standard DVD, update MAC OS and Adobe and then reload project, will I lose any picture quality which is already not great to begin with? Or should I export to BluRay DVD or compatible USB drive - would doing that enhance picture quality? Or are there any other suggestions that I haven't thought? of?
sjf

Re: Exporting unfinishing movie, picture quality and latest

Postby sidd finch » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 pm

Do you have the ability to copy the files to an external hard drive? That way you do not have to take the time making a DVD.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:11 pm

It was also save you converted to another video format (DVD) just to convert to another video format (editable video).

And while technically your video should look pretty good after converting to DVD, it's important to note that DVDs are a STANDARD DEFINITION video format. So if you are editing a high-def video project, converting it to DVD will dump about 3/4 of its resolution.

Yet another reason to use Sidd's advice.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:49 pm

Great advice re external hard drive. Thanks guys!
sjf

Postby sjf » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 pm

uh oh. Basic question from novice. When Sidd says copy file to hard drive, is that the same thing as EXPORTING to hard drive? If so, I export to devices, then choose computer, and then select the appropriate hard drive, right? Or is there another way to copy the file without exporting?
Also, what's the difference, if any, of copying/exporting to USB vs external hard drive?
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 am

Since you are going to be using a newer version of Premiere Elements on your new computer, you should output your finished projects using Export & Share/Devices/Computer 1920x1080 mp4. You can Export & Share either to your hard drive, and then move the files over to your portable drive, or you can Export & Share directly to your portable drive.

You can also just use Mac Finder to copy your media or finished files to your portable drive. Just know that you won't be able to continue editing your version 15 projects in version 2021. Not without potential problems. So finish your version 15 projects on your old computer, use Export & Share to output the finished movies as mp4s, then copy those mp4s to your portable drive so you can move them to your new computer.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am

Understood above and thank you for response. I will not be able to finish editing projects before updating MAC OS and Adobe. But wondering, since I have empty external drive, and older MAC with older OS compatible with PRE15, is there a way that I can COPY ALL Adobe files in their unfinished state, and then reload into PRE 15 on older MAC? If so, where specifically do I find a folder with all of these files? I assume I look in Finder but do not see a specific named folder.
And them I'm hoping that I have mirror image of unedited projects placed on this older computer and can then continue to edit as time allows. Hope this makes sense.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You want to copy your project files and media from your old computer to a hard drive and then copy them BACK TO your old computer?

If you're asking if you can continue to edit your projects with all of your project files and media on your external drive, yes, you can do that. I'm not sure what the advantage will be.

Or am I misunderstanding the question completely?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm

My newer MAC needs to have its OS updated, which is not compatible with PRE15. So for video projects residing on this newer computer, where editing is not yet finished, I wonder if I could transfer those projects to an older MAC computer which is using an older OS which is compatible with PRE15. I have done back up of these files to an external hard drive. Was initially wondering how to transfer those files to older computer. I have now done that with help of Apple, but transferred files will not open. Apple suggests calling Adobe (oy!). But are you saying I can edit files that sit on hard drive without downloading to old computer? Or, could I input these unfinished projects, maintaining their current state, directly into PRE15 on old computer?
sjf

Postby Peru » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Is Premiere Elements 15 installed on the old computer?
Peru

Postby sjf » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:49 pm

yes
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:52 am

No, that should work. If you've got Premiere Elements 15 for Mac installed on your computer, you should be able to move any project files and accompanying media to this computer and your projects will open.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 am

Too many glitches in trying to move unfinished video project to older computer. So intended to go back to Steve's recommendation above, to export at 1920x1080 mp4. In trying to do this, file size is 40 GB and will take several hours to render and export. And I have a few other even larger unfinished video projects that need same treatment.
All of these projects were originally filmed on VHS and then transferred to standard DVD, and then imported to PRE15 - and I would like to maintain as much picture quality as possible which is not very good to begin with, but certainly do not want further degradation - in view of how large exported file will be at 1920x1080, and knowing that source material was on VHS/standard DVD, is there any advantage to exporting at these higher specs? I will do so if that helps with picture quality - but if not, would I lose anything by exporting as 720x480? Or should I use something in-between these parameters?
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm

You would lose about 3/4 of your resolution if you output your video as 720x480. Not a very good value considering how little savings you get on file size.

Most newer Macs come with SSD drives. Good, in terms of performance -- but unfortunately usually also smallish (like 250 gig). With such a small hard drive, I'd keep all my MP4s on an external.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:53 pm

Two last questions, Steve, and then I'll drop this. And thank you for your patience with me.
1.Since source material was VHS and transferred to standard DVD before input to PRE15, are you saying that if I export unfinished editing project as 1920x1080 that I will enhance picture quality from its baseline?
2. You are correct about small internal hard drive on MAC which will keep me from downloading very large file at 1920x1080 into PRE15 residing there. If I keep MP4s on external, in order to be able to edit, do I need to install PRE15 on external as well?
sjf

Next

Return to PRE Version 15