They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Import settings after reinstall

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Import settings after reinstall

Postby abgtc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:43 am

I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, then reinstalled Elements 15. But before uninstalling Windows I went to the 15.0 directory and copied all recent files. Then after reinstalling 15, I copied those saved files into the newly-created 15.0 directory, thinking that would restore my various changes to preferences and customizations. Unfortunately, those changes don't appear, and the copied files seem to adversely affect videos, which run in slow motion.

I can, of course, uninstall and reinstall. So my question is, should I do that and just put in all my changes manually, or is there some way to get them from the saved files?
abgtc

Re: Import settings after reinstall

Postby Chris B » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:31 am

I don't have an answer to your question however in future before going for a reinstall you might try an "in place upgrade" that reinstalls Windows without needing to reinstall your apps and files.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... baa2a6190a
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Personally, it wouldn't risk it. Especially if I was having so many problems for so little advantage.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby abgtc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Yeah, that's why I did the clean install. Anyway, I guess I'll have to reinstall Elements then re-do each setting manually.
abgtc

Postby abgtc » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:20 pm

One thing, though; surely some of the files could be copied over and save me some time. I've attached a screenshot of the files I copied. "Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs"; "Effect Presets and Custom Items"; "Favorite Transitions and Custom Items." If those files are used to re-create my modifications whenever the program's opened, wouldn't they work if copied over the defaults?

I could also do it in a more targeted way; for instance, adding them one by one, opening the program after each copy to see if it's working properly.

Just trying to save myself a considerable amount of work, having to re-create all my modifications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abgtc

Return to PRE Version 15