They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

pan and zoom freezes PRE

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

pan and zoom freezes PRE

Postby sjf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:26 am

Have taken photo of newspaper cartoon w/ iPhone - then down sized to 1000x750 - have tried saving as .psd and .jpeg. Nevertheless, after successful preview, when I click done, Adobe freezes and I have to force quit. Any suggestions?
sjf

Re: pan and zoom freezes PRE

Postby sidd finch » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:27 pm

Did you press the spacebar and render yet?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sjf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm still in the pan and zoom app when I press done - so I can't render from there, can I?
sjf

Postby sjf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 pm

I have rendered before applying pan and zoom effect to no avail.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:01 pm

What happens if you create a manual motion path in the Applied Effects panel?

Also, assuming you're on Windows 10, what is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free space is left on your hard drive?

Is it also safe to assume from your post that this feature used to work but has recently started freezing?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

I had to pull out Steve's book to figure out how to create a motion path which is new to me. I unchecked Default Scale to Frame Size and then entire photo was not visible in monitor (so now how do I fix this?). Nevertheless, I was able to create a motion path without freezing.
I am using a Mac with High Sierra with 3.8Ghz Intel Corei5 processor, 8GB RAM and 564GB free space on hard drive
Up until now, pan and zoom had been working without a hitch.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:13 am

Yes, when you uncheck Scale to Frame Size, the photo will be a little larger than your video frame. That's what you want! That gives you the extra pixels you need to create the motion path.

When you use the Pan & Zoom tool, are you using it at its default settings -- with its automatic face-to-face frames -- are have you cleared those frames and created your own beginning and end points? My tutorial shows you how to reset this ugly face-to-face frames feature:

Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:29 am

So I have unchecked scale to frame size and picture is cut off on monitor - but will entire picture show in finished video?

Also, have unchecked face to face frames, though there are none in the cartoon I am using - nevertheless , after successful preview, Adobe still freezes when I hit done, and then I force quit to close.

Have also rebooted computer.

Any other suggestions, or should I just rely on keyframe motion path?
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:35 pm

If it were me, I'd just manually keyframe my motion paths. It's my preferred way anyway, and I think there are a number of limitations with the Pan & Zoom tool.

I still don't know why the tool is freezing your computer. But if it's the only issue you're having, it might be worth just avoiding it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:00 pm

f it were me, I'd just manually keyframe my motion paths. It's my preferred way anyway,

I second that. And if you have a keyframe motion path you like you can just copy paste attributes to any reaming clips to have a consistent look.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:52 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:If it were me, I'd just manually keyframe my motion paths. It's my preferred way anywa...

+1
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sjf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks, Steve and Sidd.. I will do as you all say.But, could you please explain in greater detail, or direct me to a source, to explain what "scale to frame size ' is all about. And when left unchecked, the photo now goes off monitor - but will entire photo still show on finished product?
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:13 pm

When you have Scale to Frame Size checked any media (video or photos) will be shrunk or enlarged to fill the video frame.

When it is left unchecked, the media you add will come at its actual size. Why is why, say, a 1000x750 photo put into a 720x480 project is larger than the video frame.

Actual size is the preferred size for creating pans and zooms because the fact that it is larger than your video frame means that you have some room to pan and zoom around it. You can see this scaling in Applied Effects when the Motion properties are open. It's never a good idea to zoom into a photo or a video more than 100%-115% or your picture will start to look blurry. Make sense?

But if your photo is scaled to frame size, the program treats it as if it were a 720x480 picture (at least in your 720x480 project). You're already at 100%. Pan and zoom in at all and you're over-rezzing the photo, which means it will appear blurry when you output your movie.

A rule of thumb, when you're keyframing a 1000x750 photo in a 720x480 project, is that scaling your photo to about 65-70% will fit it into your frame.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm pretty dense, here. In fact I am using a 720x480 project so my pic of 1000x750 is too large. - so I understand that part of the explanation. But I already downsized the pic to 1000x750 - why shouldn't I just downsize further to whatever it takes to fit the video frame?

What do you mean that I can "see the scaling" in Applied Effects? - I see that slider bar of course, and if I reduce photo from the original 100% to 65%, it now fill the monitor panel.

Finally, your last statement re the rule of thumb - does that mean I can scale the photo down in the Applied Effects so it fits the frame, or is this just the same thing as checking the Scale to Frame Size? Again, I'm wondering if the photo is larger than the video frame, will the entire photo show up in finished product?

Thanks for your patience - I'm even aggravating myself!
sjf

Postby sjf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:29 pm

Ah - I just found Steve's video on "Basic Motion Path Keyframing" - I think it's sunk in now. Thanks for everything, guys!
sjf

Next

Return to PRE Version 15