They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio out of sync with video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Audio out of sync with video

Postby sjf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Using PRE 15 on Mac. Have been editing home videos which were originally VHS or Hi8 before digitizing to VOB. Then use Wondershare Video Converter to download to computer. Have tried converting to both mov and mp4 (the latter seems to give better picture quality despite using a Mac) but audio is out of sync with both formats. Lots of suggestions on Internet and prior post at Muvipix suggested using Handbrake. Are there any new recommendations for solving this problem? Is Handbrake self-explanatory? Would upgrading to Adobe 2020 alleviate this issue (their website does not mention support for mp4)?
sjf

Re: Audio out of sync with video

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

Handbrake remains the go to software for these kind of issues

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sjf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks for your input, Sidd. After an early glitch where output was m4v rather than mp4, and the former was not read by Quicktime or PRE15, I went to Handbrake preferences and made default setting mp4. This new conversion, with source from DVD which I did not pre-convert with Wondershare, now had synced audio and video. However, the picture is HORRIBLE, very blurry. Any other suggestions? Do I need to change another setting? Initially used fast 1080p even though source material is old 4x3 VHS and Hi8 which was digitized into VOB format. Or, should I use Wondershare to convert to mp4, and then run thru Handbrake for constant frame rate? I'm wondering if changing the frame rate from variable to constant adversely effected picture quality.
sjf

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 pm

variable frame rate can cause havoc with video editors.

Looks like Wondershare might be able to convert to constant frame rate. I found this:

https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/ ... -rate.html

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sjf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks again. I was able to improve picture quality by changing RF from 45 to 18. I'll compare this to Wondershare after I change frame rate in that app.
sjf

Postby sjf » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:44 am

It looks like video quality of Handbrake is a smidge better than Wondershare. R18 video quality slightly better than either R20 or R15. Thanks again for guidance, Sidd. Muvipix is always a tremendous help.
sjf

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Glad you got to where you needed to go. We are always happy to help here.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to PRE Version 15