They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Zoom and "Shift" type transition

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Re: Zoom and "Shift" type transition

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Create a keyframe point representing that 100% Scale then, a few seconds later, create a keyframe point representing 0% Scale or whatever you need.

Though if at 100% your video is filling your video frame, there is no way not to see its edges as it scales down in size.

That's why I think the video in the sample you referred to created the zoom out effect with camera movement rather than a zoom effect.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:56 pm

If it is already at 100% and fills the screen, you can't zoom out without black around the edges.
You need to start out with an image that is larger than the screen when at 100%.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am

You might try enlarging the image to 125% then zoom back to 100%. Otherwise you will get black edges.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby RonS.522 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 pm

First of all thanks for all the great input; it is very informative and given me a different perspective.
I am really open to the idea of the movement as part of the zoom effect in one or more of these "zoom or movement transitions" that are displayed in the clip. I have seen some of the original clips and and a couple were shot with a racing drone, so the speed would enhance the camera movement. However some of the other clips are shot with a "conventional phantom or mavic" moving more slowly. I have to say that the idea of creating whip or similar movement transitions with a drone seems like it would take video planning, editing and piloting to levels if not beyond my capabilities at least beyond my patience. I know there a lot of YouTube videos using some very unique zoom transitions and other videos showing the use of mirroring or some other effects to get there. All this makes me realize I need to continue to improve my basic editing skills (and video planning) to get as close as possible.
RonS.522
New User
New User

Postby RonS.522 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 pm

I have continued to work on my editing skills and have seen quite a few YouTube tutorials that mention the Zoom Transition made famous by Sam Kolder. These tutorials all use Premiere Pro with adjustment layers, mirroring and some other steps to get an amazing transition that really adds a lot to a video. Steve are you or anyone else familiar with this transition? Is it possible to replicate in Elements and if not what is the closest thing?
RonS.522
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:05 pm

I think we're right back to the same question to started this discussion, Ron.

The answer is yes, you can create a zoom with keyframes. But, as Sidd says, if you're zooming back, you need to have enough resolution to allow you to zoom out and not show the edges of your video. And that would be true no matter what program you were using to edit and create the transition.

I don't know what more to say on the subject.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE Version 15