They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to save clips of video separately

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

How to save clips of video separately

Postby sjf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 pm

New user on PRE 15 on a Mac - I have imported video to Organizer and have split that video into 3 separate clips with Editor, one for each of 3 kids. Can I save each clip to a separate project, or do I have to choose a specific clip, keep that clip but delete the other 2 clips, and then repeat process for each additional clip?
And then I would like each individual clip, with its own individual name, to appear in Organizer.
sjf

Re: How to save clips of video separately

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 pm

It depends on what you mean when you say you split the video into 3 separate clips.

How did you split the clips? Are these 3 clips three different video files or just one video file divided into three sub-clips?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 pm

This is one video clip divided into 3 sub-clips.

BTW, your book has been extremely helpful. Thanks for your response.
sjf

Postby sjf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Oops - I mean one video FILE divided into 3 sub=clips.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm

The easiest way is to place each sub-clip, one at a time, on the timeline then use Export & Share/Device/Computer to output a 1920x1080 MP4 of each.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am

Sorry but I'm confused. There is one video file on timeline that was split into 3 sub-clips - I would like to save each sub-clip, each with a different name. So if I pick one of the sub-clips to work on now, then what do I do with the other sub-clips to be used for future projects? I did not see that I could export just a particular sub-clip - it seems that all sub-clips currently on timeline are exported at same time.

Also, I am working with standard definition video that is in .mov format since I'm working on Mac. I could convert to different format if video quality would be improved. For export purposes, if I keep current specs, I believe your book your book states that I would output as SD 720x480 MOV-DV - or should I use the specs in your prior response?

Finally, do you offer either an in-depth online class (besides the 8 part basic training videos) or one-on-one tutorials? - I have a very large, and very time-consuming project that I would like to work on.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Before you go converting files, what is the resolution of the original video file and what is its format? Let's not add steps before we know what we're dealing with.

You didn't say that you'd broken your video into sub-clips on the timeline. I'd assumed that you'd broken the video into sub-clips in the Project Assets panel, which is what is usually implied when you say "sub-clip".

But that said, I now realize you have three clips on your timeline and you want to know how to output each as a separate video, right?

Once we know what the original video's resolution and format is, I'll tell you what to do next.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:01 pm

I hope this makes sense with my limited understanding: I started with VHS and Hi8 tapes that were converted several years ago to DVD - these are VOB format - Adobe did not recognize these DVDs for import - I had called Adobe and Apple without help, though in a forum question to you, I believe you stated that Adobe should be able to recognize these files - anyway, out of desperation since I was unable to import, I purchased Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate - this rips DVD to hard drive and I can choose whatever format and resolution I want - I just chose rip with "original resolution" which looks to be VOB 704x528, and chose to convert to MOV (because I'm on a Mac) at same resolution - HOWEVER, I've only loaded 2 out of 100 DVDs so am at very beginning of project and if there is a better way to do this, then now is the time to change.

Anyway, I loaded a DVD to hard drive and then imported that DVD into PRE15 Organizer per your book - from there sent to the timeline where I started with one very long video - which I then split into 3 separate clips. I hope to label each of these clips for each for each of my 3 children, and then create an individual movie for each child - but each DVD that I will load to hard drive contains multiple segments of each kid - so I will always have to split the long videos - ultimately, I would like to have each long video file split appropriately with loads of clips for each child, hopefully all recognized by Organizer under their individual name, and then start working on one child's movie at a time.

As far as original resolution, Adobe says the following: Display Format: 30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode
Title Safe Area: 20% horizontal 20% vertical
Action Safe Area: 10% horizontal 10% vertical
Capture: Quick Time (QTKit)

Would LOVE a paid tutorial over phone if you all offer this!!!
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Do you know what the Work Area Bar is? Set the Work Area Bar over one of your clips and then go to Export & Share/Device/Computer and select the option to output a 720x480 MOV-DV. Make sure to check the option on this panel to Share Work Area Bar Only. This will output only the clip that is under the Work Area Bar.

Then move the Work Area Bar so that it is over the second clip and so on.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sjf » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:15 pm

That worked!

Since the quality of the video is not great to begin with, I hope that all of the rendering before ouput back to hard drive won't degrade further. Even though I tell Organizer exactly where to look for video that is output back to hard drive, the spinning wheel on MAC seems to go on for quite a while.

But in any event, this solution works, and of course was mentioned in your book. Thanks so much for your help.
sjf

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Glad we helped you to a solution, sjf!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15