They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Deleting a finished project from hard drive

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Deleting a finished project from hard drive

Postby Carol Noblitt » Wed May 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Hooray! After working on my first project in PRE 15, it's finally finished. It's not perfect, but thanks to all the support and assistance from you guys, I edited and restored 13 years of 8mm movie film. It took almost an entire year, but the final version is adequate considering the 50-year old 8mm films suffered the wrath of Hurricane Katrina and were submerged under salt water for almost three days before being rescued.

Now, here's my question. What files/folders can I safely delete from my pc?

I burned the final version to a flash drive, but I would like to keep the finished project on my pc in the event I want to do additional editing to this project as I continue to use PRE and become more proficient and comfortable with the app.

Since the original source was 8mm files with no audio, I supplemented the films with scanned still pictures, music, narration, and a lot of storytelling using colored mattes and text to introduce each film, e.g., where, when, who, what, etc.

Can the scanned pictures, music, narration, auto-save files, re-save files, copy files and anything else I failed to mention be safely deleted without compromising the final version of the project? As stated above, I would like to retain the finished project files on my pc if I decide to do additional editing in the project files at a later date.

Simply stated, what can I delete/not delete to free up space on my pc but retain the final version of the project in tact?

As always, your guidance and expertise will be appreciated.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Re: Deleting a finished project from hard drive

Postby Peru » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

You need to keep all of your media files (video, photos, etc.) if you wish to edit the project in the future.
Only the preview files can be deleted, as they will be recreated if needed.

You can delete the autosave files and old project files if you will not be using them.
Peru

Postby Peru » Wed May 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:43 pm

Peru, you and your colleagues have been very helpful and I appreciate your assistance very much.

I visited the link you provided in your last post regarding archiving projects. Based on the information provided, I successfully archived to a flash drive the project on which I was working. However, there is one item on which I need clarification.

QUESTION: Can I now safely delete from my hard drive EVERYTHING related to that project (all video, photos, text, music, narration etc.) with the knowledge that all these project assets were safely archived and can be fully restored from the archive source at a later date?

Again, thank you, and I await your response.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Note the difference between Archive Project and Copy Project.

The archived project only has trimmed pieces of the media used in your project. You will not be able to retrieve the parts trimmed off. Unused media is also not saved.

The copied project keeps all of the media.

I always keep the original media copied to a drive and two backups (one on site and one off site). I keep copies of my projects on a different drive and two different backups. I use external hard drives for long term storage, as flash drives have a higher failure rate.

Please also see Schofield's Second Law of Computing:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/follow-sc ... disasters/
Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Question for Peru on archiving:

In attempting to archive a project (using the copy option), I keep getting a message that the path name is too long.

How do I change the path name? I made an earnest effort to do it myself but to no avail. I tried resaving but that seems to just add to the length of the path name.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am

Are you saving it to an internal or external drive?
If an external drive, is it formatted to NTFS?
Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:15 am

Peru, I'm trying to archive the project to an external drive with plenty of unused space available. I also tried to first transfer the project to a flash drive, then rename the project with a very short name (Folder 2), then reopened it in PRE. Once it was back in PRE with the new short name from the flash drive, I still got the same error message when attempting to archive to the external drive...path name is too long.

I checked the properties of the external drive, and it states: File System: NTFS

The irony of this is, because the project is very lengthy (2 hours), I broke it into five parts. I successfully archived four parts with no problem.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:14 pm

What is your operating system and exactly what is the wording of the error?
Does the file name have any unusual characters in it?
Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Operating system is Windows 7.

Project Archiver Error

"There was a problem copying or trimming the following file due to the file path being too long: E:\Noblitt Home Movies 1965-1978\Copied_Folder 4 - Part 4 - May 1970 thru Dec.1972\Copied_Folder 2 - Part 2 - Mar.19, 1967 thru Jan. 1969_007\Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files\Folder 2 - Part 2 - Mar.19, 1967 thru Jan. 1969.PRV\Rendered - 51d7cb3-abac-457e-8985-b84bdb9ca4ac.avi.
Please consider a shorter project name or destination path."

How in the world do I shorten the project name? It seems every thing I try just makes the project name get longer.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 am

The problem is the length of the path not the filename. Windows will only accommodate a path length of 260 characters.

In Windows the maximum length for a path is defined as 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive letter, colon, backslash, name components separated by backslashes, and a terminating null character.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:38 am

Delete the preview files and try again.
Peru

Return to PRE Version 15