They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Export Quality

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Export Quality

Postby davecvis@aol.com » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm

I can't seem to get export quality to equal the quality of the video in Premiere 15. I've tried all formats and several resolutions, including 720 x 480 and 640 x 480. I am working with standard NTSC video. Per the sample screen shots below, note the export frame is grainy around the letters and contrast/brightness do not match the Premiere frame. Am I expecting too much for this to be a perfect match? Thanks.

PREL 720 x 480.JPG

MP4 720 x 480 export.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecvis@aol.com
New User
New User

Re: Export Quality

Postby davecvis@aol.com » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Afterthought . . . could this be a difference in viewers? Premiere 15 vs Windows viewer?
davecvis@aol.com
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Looks like interlacing to me.

Is your original video interlaced? Is your project set up for interlaced video?

What more do you know about the original video other than that it's standard NTSC?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby davecvis@aol.com » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 am

Here's how the video was created. Old 16mm film was scanned frame by frame into a sequence of .BMP files (~ 1k bytes each). Those files (several thousand) were imported into a new Premiere project. Those files were then exported, MP4 format selected, no change to the Quality slider (middle setting). The BMP files were then deleted in the Project, the video then imported into the project as my clip . . . . which now I see is MPEG. I had thought NTSC per the project settings, note screenshots below. The clip was then edited. It looks very good in Premiere. I have not changed project settings per your book it is rather automatic anyway. ?? Results all use default settings. Maybe my process is flawed?

Project Settings.JPG

Properties.JPG

Output Settings.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecvis@aol.com
New User
New User

Postby davecvis@aol.com » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction re. interlacing. I changed the process a little and was able to export the video perfectly. Started a new project and for Project Settings, Available Presets, selected HDV, 720p 30, and checked "Force selected project settings." For Export, selected Devices/TV HD 720 (instead of Devices/Computer/SD 480) . . . even though this will not be viewed on a "TV" it worked perfectly on computer video playback. Export is identical to the video being viewed in Premiere now. Thanks!
davecvis@aol.com
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Great news, Dave!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15