They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Save, Save As, and Auto Save

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Save, Save As, and Auto Save

Postby Carol Noblitt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 am

Somebody please help!

I am really ticked-off. I've been working on this video project for months and have spent the last two days on non-stop editing. In addition to auto save, I manually save my work often. When I reached a good stopping point today I clicked "Save." Then, when I reopened the project later, the work I had done today had not been saved! Instead, it opened where I stopped and saved yesterday!

So, I thought, no problem, I will find at least some of today's work in auto save (it is set to auto save every 15 minutes). Nope. The only one I found in auto save is the project I saved yesterday before doing the additional work on the project today. Where is the additional work I did today?

Three questions:

1. How do I find and access the most recent auto save?
(I found the date and time I saved it today in a folder entitled Encoded Files, but the folder is empty.)

2. Does the Save button save all additional work and overwrite the data from the last save?

3. Or when I have added additional work since the last save, instead of merely saving it, do I need to Save As and
give the project a new name?
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Re: Save, Save As, and Auto Save

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 am

I'm not sure what's going on with your computer, Carol. First thing I'd check is how much free and defragmented space you have on your hard drive. When space gets thin, especially if it's fragmented, saves can get sketchy.

Although project files are pretty small. A few hundred kilobytes. So I can't imagine that you have no space to save them. Although, when space gets limited, all kinds of weirdness can occur.

Second, I'd run Malware Bytes. I do that anyway at least once a month. You may have some sort of malware at work.

But that said, auto saves are found in the same folder as your .prel project files, in a sub folder called Adobe Premiere Elements Auto Saves. An auto save should get you back to within your last ten minutes of work.

But I'd still do some serious investigating. Something very very strange is going on on your system.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 am

Carol Noblitt wrote:Somebody please help!

2. Does the Save button save all additional work and overwrite the data from the last save?

Yes.

3. Or when I have added additional work since the last save, instead of merely saving it, do I need to Save As and
give the project a new name?

I save version copies such as:
Project name v1, Project name v2, etc.
Peru

Postby Carol Noblitt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you, Peru.

For some odd reason, my app did not overwrite and replace yesterday's work with the Save option, nor any of the other manual Saves I did throughout the day. In addition to that, I was unable to locate any of the auto saves resulting in the loss of about eight hours of work.

I did notice, however, that the last recoverable save before my additional 8-hours of work was a Save As and not a Save, where I renamed the project. This prompted my number 3 question about using Save As and not Save to insure that additional work is not lost.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:45 pm

One of the advantages of using Save As rather than Save is that you get a dialog box to confirm that you are saving with Save As, whereas if you click Save you have no confirmation that it was saved. If the mouse malfunctions or slips, you won't know it was not saved when you thought you clicked on Save.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am

I ditto what Peru posted about versions. I name mine the same way "ProjectName_v1". If it is a large project I do several versions over the course of working. This is handy too if you like the edit in v2, but may want to try out a few edits then I save as v3 to make changes. If I don't like my changes then I can easily go back to v2 and continue working.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 15