They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Different video sources

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Different video sources

Postby shellhen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:51 am

Hello,

I have your book but I can't find the information I need. I am a total newbie and I am trying to edit video from 2 different sources. I read that Premiere Elements sets the project settings from the first video added to the timeline. However both are different, one was recorded on an iphone at 1080p/30fps and the other on a dslr camera at 720p/60fps. I had to convert the iphone video to MP4 as the audio was out of sync part way through, this seems to have fixed that issue. The other file from the camera is a MOV file. What settings would be best for this project?

Thanks for your help!
shellhen
New User
New User

Re: Different video sources

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 am

You should be able to combine the two in the same project.

But if you converted your iPhone video, you may be opening a new can of worms. How did you convert the video and what did you convert the video to? And, if you've converted the 1080p video, why not convert it to 720p60 so that it's got the same specs as your DSLR video?

The video converter I prefer and recommend the most is Handbrake. It's free and it's fairly simple to use. It can also be used to convert videos with variable frame rates to constant frame rates, resolving the most common cause of out of sync issues.

But before we get into what you should do, we need to know what you did do -- and maybe undo it. We don't want to go adding unnecessary variables to this equation.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby shellhen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your quick reply, yes I used Handbrake to convert it and it was to make it constant rate instead of variable rate. It was because I had searched for an answer to the problem of the audio and video not being in sync and I think it was a post on the Adobe forum that explained about using Handbrake to solve the problem. I didn't realise I could change other things to0, if I lower the 1080p one will I lose any quality? I am needing to zoom in on the video quite a bit so I am losing some resolution quality by doing that.
shellhen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:31 am

Yes, you'll lose resolution when you downsample from 1080p to 720p -- but you're mixing with 720p anyway, so there's going to be compromise somewhere.

I recommend you use Handbrake to convert your original iPhone video to 1280x720 video at 60 fps and constant frame rate.

You should then have no trouble combining this video with your DSLR 1280x720 video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby shellhen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks thats great. Should I do anything in the project settings or just let Adobe set it automatically?
shellhen
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 pm

The program should set up automatically.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15