They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Wondered if this would be enough

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Wondered if this would be enough

Postby Wildcat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm

I learned several things from the simple Introduction post so I thought I'd start asking questions on here and leave the introductions to that subject.

I got the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and the Premiere Elements 15 and bought a new PC for use with the programs. I wondered if this would be enough to run the programs and if I need to add anything or change anything on it.

HP Envy
Windows 10
27" monitor
Intel core i7-7700u
16 GB memory
2 TB 7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive
DVD - writer
HP 7 in 1 media card reader
Intel HD graphics 630

I have no idea if that DVD -writer will burn BluRay DVD's or not and have thought about getting a plug and play BluRay burner later.

My Muvipix Guide to Premier Elements 15 came in today so now between the book and this forum I can start learning. Might take me a couple weeks before I can start working with video editing and then the questions really start.
Wildcat
New User
New User

Re: Wondered if this would be enough

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Wildcat! I saw your other thread. You've definitely come to the right place. I'm older than you, still consider myself a beginner, and have forgotten more than I've learned so I keep having to come back to figure out how to do things I should already know. Used to know. Lots of patience and kind people here.

I'm no computer expert. Is an HP Envy a laptop? Do you plan on taking it with you to Europe? How long will you be there? You will need a way to transfer your images from the camera's card to something else. We spent a week in the Bahamas. The day before we left I received a portable hard drive to store my images. Cards were smaller back then but the card I took with me was a pretty large one. Arrive in Freeport and the portable hard drive malfunctioned. I filled my card quickly and then had to look for a camera store. The only card they had was very small but VERY expensive. I had to forget RAW files and shoot only jpegs. Not a total disaster, but really disappointing. (I wasn't shooting video then.)

Considering 4k files, they are HUGE. Yesterday I shot 75GB of 4k files in a relatively short period of time. I've filled a 3TB drive, a 4TB drive and now I'm working on an 8TB drive. I delete a lot. At the price of 128GB sdxc cards... well, you'll have to have a way to transfer files from your card to something else.

Now that we're not in the other thread, I've forgotten which camera you said you have, but it shoots 4k, right? Think about one of the places you plan to visit in Europe. Consider how much time you might be filming at any one location. Maybe half an hour? That would make a rather large file. Perhaps you can try shooting some 4k now, say 5 - 10 minutes and see if your computer can handle it.

If you are planning on taking your laptop, I've heard that European plugs and receptacles are different. Be sure to take the right kind with you. And make sure your airline of choice will allow laptops on the plane. Oh, and I (again I'm not an expert) think your CPU number looks pretty fast but I would max out the RAM with the best you can.

You may want to consider shooting High Def for most of your footage and save 4k for scenes that are truly special. Or shoot 4k, figure out a way to save it to a disc. There are some that can save 4k footage, and then for now edit in High Def, saving the 4k for future editing when you have a more powerful computer and 4k televisions are the norm. I have a BluRay burner that is supposed to be able to record 4k, and discs to write them to. I'll drag everything out and let you know what they are. The burner was not particularly expensive. The discs are.

again, welcome!

:::muvipix:::
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Wildcat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 am

Thanks Paz.

I've pretty much put the 4K plans on hold and will be shooting AVCHD and hope to put some edited videos on DVD's to show the family after I get back.

The HP Envy is a desktop so I will be doing all the editing here at home. My camera is Panasonic Lumix FX-300.

Last night I read a couple dozen pages of the Muvipix book before falling asleep. I plan to read it all and then go back and read it again then keep it right beside my desktop as my Premiere Elements 15's go to book.

I hope that desktop is enough to get started on my editing and learn from it.
Wildcat
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:05 am

I can't find a listing for an i7 7700u on these benchmark reports -- but most i7 7700 processor would give you plenty of power for high-def video editing.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

In my books, I recommend a score of 5000 or higher for high-def editing and an 8000 or higher for 4k.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wildcat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 am

I found this. Looks like it will be more than enough for what I hope to do.

http://ftp.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... Hz&id=2905

One thing I've learned in just a couple days on here, I KNOW I'm in the right forum for the info on video editing. Get the right answers fast so now I feel better. Thanks guys!!
Wildcat
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:42 am

Paz_Pazzaz wrote:...Do you plan on taking it with you to Europe? ... Think about one of the places you plan to visit in Europe...

There are a variety of different plugs used throughout Europe. I think that France, Belgium, Germany, Italy (and possibly other countries) share some common plugs. The ones in the UK are completely different. Your best bet will be to carry a "universal adaptor" of which there are many brands.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chris B » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 am

The ones in the UK are the best in the world.
- Fixed it for you ;)

But seriously as well as the plugs being different the voltage in UK/Europe is 220-240 volts at 50Hz as compared to the US 120 volts at 60Hz - this shouldn't be a problem for modern electronics which will probably be designed to cope but it's worth checking before something expensive goes "pop".
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to PRE Version 15