They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"Generic Text" DVD Menue

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

"Generic Text" DVD Menue

Postby BUAROD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 am

Hi,
just starting with Adobe PRE15 I am looking for a DVD menue which has 5 - 6 lines of text in the scene menue, only.
I allready tried the muvipix "Generic Text" DVD Menue. It is fine in relation to the design, however, the main program
every time crashes when trying to convert a file for bluray - export. My settings: HD 1920x1080 25fps PAL.
I am not familar with PSD - files and I do not have a tool to make modifications in PSD - files.
Thank you very much for your help!
BUAROD
New User
New User

Re: "Generic Text" DVD Menue

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

I don't know why the Generic Text menu is crashing your computer, BUAROD. But it is the only way I know of to create a text only scene menu in Premiere Elements.

The only other option is to use a dedicated disc authoring program to create your DVD. We're big fans of DVD Architect here at Muvipix.com -- and Magix is selling it for under $100 (although it's FREE if you buy their $79 Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14!).
http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/dvd-architect/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BUAROD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:13 am

Hi Steve,
to get a feedback so quick was very surprising for me, thank you very much!
I have some experience with Pinnacle Studio and was used to create the DVD menues myself.
Now testing PRE15 (with HD material) I am missing this flexibility as there are only 3 HD templates
offered from Adobe ... and none of them does really fit to my video.
Finally I was happy to find the "Generic Text" DVD Menue template at muvipix.
However, these documents were released in 2008! Corresponding to PRE Version 4 ?!

As this template seemed to be the only option, I did the following:
1. file download of "generictxtdvdV4.zip" (592,53 kB) from muvipix download area and de-zip
2. creating a new folder C:\ ....\ProgFiles\Adobe Premiere Elements 15\DVD Templates\Common\Slideshows\Generic Text
(this path is generated during installation of PRE15 and "Pan and Zoom" template is the only folder inside "Slideshows")
3. storing "generic text_hd_mm.psd" and "generic text_hd_sm.psd" to folder "Generic Text"
4. creating 2 files "de_DE_generic text_pal_s_prv_mm.png" and "de_DE_generic text_pal_s_prv_sm.png" as preview pictures
(if these pictures are not present, PRE15 comes with an error message)
5. exchanging the proper operating "Pan and Zoom" DVD menue with the "Generic Text" template in my HD - test video
6. adopting background pictures and text size, color, style and positions
7. first problem: changes in 6. were permanently accepted only, when storing complete project with new name
("regular" storing had the effect that some changes were gone after re-starting PRE15)
8. main problem: PRE15 was not able to convert project for bluray - export (HD 1920x1080 25fps PAL); program stopped with error message
9. after changing back to original "Pan and Zoom" DVD menue: export did work without problems again.

It would be very helpfull for me to know, if someone in the forum was able to integrate the "Generic Text" DVD menue in PRE 15 succesfully.
If yes, may be you can tell me, how to do so! However I am afraid, the PSD files have to be adopted to PRE15 ...
BUAROD
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:44 am

Here are the updated instructions for using the template with version 15, Buarod. You'll find them as a "sticky" posting at the top of this forum.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15591
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BUAROD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Steve,
Thank you very much again for your quick response!
However, I am sorry to say, that your updated information (viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15591) do not help to manage my problem(s) with the muvipix "Generic Text" DVD menue.

When searching on my PC, where PRE15 is storing the menue templates, I found, that there are t w o locations: the "regular" one, you are talking about, which are downloaded
at the moment, you select them. There you also can find the DOWNLOADED.TXT file!
But when searching the HD "Pan and Zoom" menue, I found this installed in the path, which is created when PRE15 is installed. In my case it was:
C:\ ....\ProgFiles\Adobe Premiere Elements 15\DVD Templates\Common\Slideshows\Pan and zoom
When opening this folder you find beside the PSD-files (2 files for HD main and HD scene menue) a lot of PNG files, used as pre-views in the menue-selection-screen.
There is no DOWNLOADED.TXT file!
Beside "Pan and Zoom" I created the new folder "Generic Text" where I stored the 2 downloaded HD muvipix files.
PRE15 recognizes the new folder and tried to indicate the new menue but failed! Attached screenshot shows the reaction.
After generating 2 PNG files as pre-view pictures, PRE15 accepted the new added menue (second screenshot). I added 2 files to have pre-views in German.
However, there are still some problems with the PSD-files: after changing the backgrounds and text sizes, styles and positions, these changes were not reliably stored!
Finally a fatal error appears when converting the video for BluRay export ... I have to restart the PC to activate PRE15 again.
Steve, it would be great, if you could do a test with the "Generic Text" files in "generictxtdvdV4.zip" (592,53 kB) and confirm, that it works according to viewtopic.php?f=111&t=15591!
Thank you very much again for your cooperation!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BUAROD
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:07 pm

I've done some investigating, and I know what the problem is.

Apparently, in newer versions of Premiere Elements, the menu templates must not only have template PSDs but must also have thumbnail illustrations. I'll update the template and post a workable template soon.

In the meantime, have you considered my suggestion that you output your finished movie from Premiere Elements and then use a dedicated DVD authoring program to create your DVD menus?

Premiere Elements disc authoring system is just too limited. A dedicated DVD authoring program would likely do what you want to do very easily. I know it would be a cinch in DVD Architect!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Attached is the revised Text Only template. Just unzip the file and drop the folder into the DVD Templates directory for Premiere Elements and it should work fine.

I'll also ask Ron to replace the template in our library with this new template.

Let me know if you have any problems, Buarod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BUAROD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am

Hi Steve,
Thank you very much again for your quick support!
I have done some testing today and ... in general the new files work! That`s great!
Additional comments I have send by mail!
Regards
Buarod
BUAROD
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 15