They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Time duration of transition with text

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Time duration of transition with text

Postby Carol Noblitt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Is there a way to extend the time duration a transition containing typed text is on the screen? The default time does not allow sufficient time for the viewer to read the text in its entirety. I tried using Time Stretch and increasing the duration, but it doesn't extend the length of time the text is on the screen. It only adds to the duration of the transition during which there is no text.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Re: Time duration of transition with text

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi Carol, Is this a Title that you created? If not what did you use to get the text on the screen? If it is a title is it a rolling title or did you use animated text? Depending on what you used to add the text will depend on how you lengthen the time the text is visible on screen.

Once I know what kind of text object it is I will create a short video showing you how to extend the length.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Carol Noblitt » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you for your response, Chuck.

Let me preface my answer by briefly describing my video project. I am attempting to salvage a series of old super 8mm home movie films that went underwater in 2005 during Hurricane Katrina. Because the films were the old plastic type, a commercial photography service washed the films and transfer them to a dvd. Nevertheless, the original films had already sustained some damage before they were transferred to a dvd because they remained under salt water for three days.

Using Premiere Elements 15 (my first attempt at video editing), I have now finished editing the footage on the dvd, meticulously cutting and removing bad frames and sometimes totally discarding large sections of the films. The result is a fairly decent end product. However, because the source of the original films were super 8mm, the films contain no audio.

To compensate for the absence of audio, and for posterity, I intend to insert a transition between each film clip with text briefly describing the upcoming clip, e.g., dates, birthday party, new baby, vacation, sporting event, etc. I did consider narration, but opted instead for transitions with typed text.

Now, to answer your original question. The transition I am attempting to use is the Default Text (first block under "ADD"). I dragged it to the timeline and in the monitor typed a couple of sentences introducing the upcoming clip. However, when played, the text does not remain on the screen a sufficient length of time to allow the viewer to read it. I also tried the rolling text with a similar result...it rolls too fast. I've tried several methods to extend the duration of the text on the screen. Nothing works. What am I doing wrong?

The only thing I have not tried is Project Assets/Right click blank box/New Item/Black Box (or Color Matte). Would this be a better transition method between clips?

Your help and advice are sincerely appreciated as I am a total novice at video editing. This project has been quite challenging for me.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Carol,

Sounds like a wonderful project and from what I can tell you are doing a great job.

You are not using a transition, it is a Title, the default Text Title. Therefore you have no transitions between your clips at all, which isn't a problem really. You may want to add a transition between the title and the clip however.

to lengthen the time the title text is view-able on screen you simply need to grab the end of the title on the timeline and drag it to make it longer.

Have you watched all of Steve's Basic Training tutorials available here for free? I think those would be a huge help to you. http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 6&btn.y=10

Also Steve's book on Premiere Elements can't be beat and would teach you a lot.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Carol Noblitt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Thank you, Chuck, for your help. Your posts have been very helpful. I now understand the difference between a transition and a title/text and how each works differently. Yes, I have Steve's manual, have studied it, and use it continuously for reference. I have also watched the tutorials many times.

I understand your directions to grab the ends of the title box and stretch them to extend the duration of the title box. Using this method, It works for me exactly as you stated. However, the problem I have is this. While the duration of the title box itself will extend when I grab the ends, the text I typed within the title box will not stretch with the box. Instead. when I stretch the title box, the text will appear for a few seconds, then disappear and I'm left with an empty title box on the screen for whatever length of time I extended the box. Is there a way to extend the duration of the text so it stretches with the title box? I have tried both the default text and the rolling text, and neither will remain on the screen a sufficient period of time to allow the viewer to read the text.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Carol,

Watch this tutorial that Steve created, it is free and should answer your questions. If you have additional questions just post them here and we will be happy to do whatever we can to help :)

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 4&btn.y=11

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15