They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Importing still photo into Premiere Elements 15

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Importing still photo into Premiere Elements 15

Postby Carol Noblitt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:03 am

When I import a still image onto the video timeline (an 8x10 portrait), the monitor above the timeline crops the image, e.g., lopes off the head, lower portion of the image, etc. Is the monitor image a true representation of the final video once I burn it to a DVD? I downsampled the still image to 1000x750 pixels and unchecked the Default Scale to Frame Size prior to importing the still image.

Secondly, in addition to downsampling the pixel dimensions, do I also need to reduce the still image (under Document Size) to a smaller size, say from 8x10 to 5x7?
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Re: Importing still photo into Premiere Elements 15

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:07 am

Hello Carol.

I do not use Elements so I have based my answer on PPro - I hope that Elements works in the same way. If I have mislead you I am sure someone else will leap in. :-D

At the bottom of the monitor window there should be a drop down list. Adjusting this to the value 'Fit' should correctly display the timeline image in the monitor window.

In PPro there is also another drop down labelled (by default?) 'Full'. This may be missing from Elements but what it does is to adjust the playback resolution.

Resizing to 1000 x 750 should be all that you need to do. Video dimensions are always in pixels so the document size is somewhat irrelevant.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:08 am

You can change the magnification of the preview monitor window in Elements, but the default setting is "fit". If you haven't changed the magnification, you should see the timeline in the monitor as it will appear in the final dvd.

John missed your statement that you unchecked Scale to Frame Size. When you do that, you turn off automatic scaling and you will need to do so manually. A DVD is standard definition which is 480 pixels high. You down sized your portrait to 1000x750 pixels. That is larger than the standard definition frame size so part of the image will be cropped off. To get the full image to show, you will need to either manually scale down the image or check the Scale to Frame Size Option and let Premiere Elements do the scaling.

1000x750 is a guideline for still images that will be panned and scanned in your video. Since it is bigger than the standard definition frame size, it provides some room for you to pan the image and/or zoom into the image. If you are going to zoom into the image, it is critical to uncheck Scale to Frame Size as Scale to Frame Size pre-scales the image and any manual zooming after that will degrade the image. If you are not going to be panning or zooming the image, you can down size your still image to the exact frame size in pixels.

Another thing to keep in mind is that only the pixel dimensions of the still image matter in a video project.
Bob

Postby Carol Noblitt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Thank you, John and Bob, for your input. Your responses were very helpful.

The reason I unchecked Default Scale to Frame Size is I intend to pan an 8x10 portrait. So, am I understanding your responses correctly?

If I intend to pan an 8x10 still image, to prevent cropping in the finished DVD, I first need to manually reduce the physical size of the original image to the approximate size of the video clips (640x480). I also change the pixel dimensions to 1000x750.

This is how I do it. First, in Elements 15, I go to Image/Resize/Image Size/Document Size and manually reduce the width and height of the original image to a smaller size. Next, I change the Pixel Dimensions to 1000x750. I then go to PRE 15 and uncheck Default Scale to Frame Size. I do all this before importing the image into PRE 15. These steps will prevent any cropping or degrading of the image in the finished DVD caused by panning/zooming. I assume if the full still image (original image resized and pixels resampled) is displayed uncropped in the monitor screen, then I have made the correct image size adjustments and it will not be cropped in the finished DVD.

Conversely, If I do not intend to pan/zoom the still image, before importing the image into PRE 15, I only reduce the pixel dimensions to 1000x750 and leave the Default Scale to Frame Size in PRE 15 checked. PRE 15 will automatically fit the image size to the video size.
Carol Noblitt
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I think there is still some confusion. Before I address that, could you give me a few more details.

You say you have an 8x10 still image. Is the orientation of the photo horizontal (i.e. 10" wide by 8" tall) or vertical (i.e. 8" wide by 10" tall)? What are the pixel dimensions of the photo before you downsize it?

DVD projects can be wide screen or full screen. Wide screen projects have the same aspect ratio as modern flat screen TVs (16:9). Full screen projects have the same aspect ratio as the older CRT tube TVs (4:3). Which type of project are you using? I get the impression that you are using a full screen project. Is that correct?

Finally, for now, how are you intending to pan the image?

Thank you!
Bob

Return to PRE Version 15