They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Underwater Videos

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Underwater Videos

Postby Keys Marty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:02 pm

I shoot almost exclusively underwater videos. Any hints, tips, ideas, techniques or suggestions? All my videos are "cloudy," especially the distant backgrounds. I used Photoshop for years on my PC, but six months ago I switched to a mac, and I bought PSE-15. I am now working with Premier Elements 15 trial. Both Elements are a big learning curve. All help is appreciated.
Thank You,
Marty
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Re: Underwater Videos

Postby Chris B » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm

I talk about some of the effects I used to clean up my diving videos here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14082

The effects are done in Vegas - but I'm sure they should be achievable in most packages.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Have you tried the Haze Removal effect?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Keys Marty » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Shortly after posting my request for help, a workman in my home tipped over and cracked my mac. It is now at the Apple Store. I have to "borrow" my wife's computer, and all my notes are in the Apple Store, as well as my PSE-15 and my Premier Elements 15 trial.

Steve, I tried the haze reduction as soon as you suggested it. It is helpful, but not miraculous. Thank you.

Chris B., I followed your link, and, I, too, am impressed with your Mauritius video. Your before-and-after is exactly what I am looking for. I am retired, but my career was as a TV lighting director, but not a video engineer, and I really don't understand what you did with Vegas. I know nothing of gamma, but I learned some in Steve's PSE-15 Basic Training, and I will try to find it in Premier. Do you know where in Premier I can adjust gamma?

I assume you added red to your video, and I assume, when I get my computer back (it could be weeks) I can figure out adding red. Thank you for your help; you are my role model. I plan on purchasing Premier, and I will probably have more questions for you then.

Thank You,
Marty
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Postby Chris B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:55 am

It's been a while since I used elements. (I have version 8....). I'm sure someone with a more recent copy can tell you where things are these days. I had a quick play and there dosen't seem to be an equivalent effect - however using a combination of "gamma" and "image control" I have made something similar. This will vary for each clip so you'll just have to play with the sliders until it looks good.

Here's a after/before (in that order) taken from the elements preview window:
beforeafter elements.jpg

And here are the settings that I used:
elements settings.png

I have a physical red filter for the camera. This makes much more of a difference that I was expecting and I'm not able to correct unfiltered footage to look the same. Visibility underwater is considerably less than in air and you'll generally be best getting close to the subject if at all possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Keys Marty » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 am

Thank you for your help. I love your before-and-after. I am eager to get my computer back, and see what I can do with your guidance.
Marty
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:51 am

Can you post a screen capture of what you're working with, Marty?

The software can definitely cut through haze -- but it can't work miracles, of course. If things are too murky, there's no way to make it look crystal clear.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Is there any way you can add underwater lighting? That might help.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Keys Marty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 am

Yours is an intelligent question, but, in reality, the answer is somewhat counter-intuitive. I have been shooting underwater photos a long time, and it is my personal experience that lighting increases backscatter, the primary problem. Unless you can get inches away from your subject, lighting (and I was a lighting director for over 40 years) does more harm than good.

Photoshop works wonders on underwater still photos, and I am sure Elements is just as good. Often "adjust all levels" is miraculous. I am trying to learn how to get Premier to work like the original Photoshop. I am sure it can be done; there is just a learning curve.
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 am

Once again, if you can do a screen capture of what your original video looks like, I'm sure we'll better be able to recommend the proper adjustments and effects to clean it up.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 am

You can always try to dive in clearer water.... lol :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:59 pm

This diver photographer/video is outstanding.

aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Keys Marty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:14 pm

How do I do a screen capture of a video? Can I email you an original (entire) video?
Marty
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:44 pm

In Premiere Elements you can export a frame from your video:
Export & Share > Image > Use JPEG High quality at the same dimensions as your video. Then you can post the image and that should give everyone a good idea of what the video looks like. At least it would be a good start.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Keys Marty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:45 pm

It is so frustrating, although, I am sure, in time, it will be second nature to me, as was the original Photoshop. I couldn't capture a screen shot. I went to a project, I clicked on Export & Share, I clicked on Image, I accepted the Frame default and the Format default, jpeg, and I made the file name Capture. Then I pressed Enter, because there was no OK or Save button. I put Capture in the mac Finder search bar, but I couldn't find the file.

I hope you can help me.

Also, the videos I chose to use with Premier Elements 15 are no longer in my Movies. I hope I have not lost the originals.

Thank You For Your Help,
Marty
Keys Marty
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 15