They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Teething Problems

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Teething Problems

Postby markyruss » Mon May 29, 2017 9:14 am

Hi,
I'm new to PRE15 after several years using iMovie, and bought a new gaming laptop especially so I could improve my holiday video creating.
I've got my first clips from my sony camcorder that need a little adjusting - over-exposed, some sharpening.
After I correct the exposure, render the clips and play back, the scenes seem to have blurry smudges on them.
Any clues what I'm doing wrong?
Thank you
i7-7700HQ running Windows 10 Home 16Gb DDR IV, 128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD
markyruss
New User
New User

Re: Teething Problems

Postby sidd finch » Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am

The more info you can provide the easier it will be to help. Camera settings, project settings, rendering settings. Welcome to Muvipix.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Mon May 29, 2017 10:57 am

sidd finch wrote:The more info you can provide the easier it will be to help. Camera settings, project settings, rendering settings.
Sidd

...and screen shots:
Ron wrote:When posting a reply, scroll down to the "Upload Attachment" option and add the file from your computer:
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Exactly. What model of camcorder is your footage coming from and what is the format and resolution of the video?

Have you ensured that the program set up its project settings to match your footage?

How did you correct the exposure?

Can you post a link to a YouTube video sample of what these blurry smudges look like?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby markyruss » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh sorry guys, even new to online forums, didn't have my settings to notify me of a reply or in fact know how to see replies.... sigh.. got it now.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm using a SONY - HDR-CX625 camcorder. Set to Image Size: 1920 x 1080, Frame Rate: 50.

The Project settings are Frame Size: 1920 x 1080. Display Format: 50fps Timecode.

Timeline render quality is set to Draft quality, High speed.

Before.JPG

After.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markyruss
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Regarding Exposure:

If you are using the Intelligent Auto function, try turning it off -- especially if it says it is detecting backlighting in this type of scene.

You can also use exposure compensation to tweak the exposure up or down in camera. in this camera, exposure compensation is called AE Shift and it is located in the manual adjustments section. Exposure is still auto, this setting merely tweaks the exposure to be lighter or darker.

Regarding smudges:

Are you talking about the lighter area on the left that goes along the tree and flower bed? It's in both the original and processed image. That, to me, looks more like a reflection or something on a window pane -- Are you shooting through a glass window? I suppose it could also be something dangling in front of the lens or on the lens surface. Or, are you talking about some other areas in the image.
Bob

Postby markyruss » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks Bob.
The smudging I see is on the brick definition on the building. That area above and slightly left of the bird bath for example loses all brick definition to me.
I'm not using any auto correction function in the software, but the camcorder was certainly set to auto. (Next time I'll go for more manual control but this was a holiday trip to India so hoping to work with this footage as is, and correct in the software.)
markyruss
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks, I saw that but I wasn't sure that was what you were referring to.

What you are seeing is a smearing due to loss of data in the image. Typically, this happens when you over compress exported video or reduce resolution. You aren't changing the frame size. If this smearing is happening in your preview monitor in Premiere Elements, it's likely to be the use of Draft mode which reduces resolution in the monitor panel (but not in the exported video). If it's happening in your exported video, try selecting a higher bit rate for the export.
Bob

Postby markyruss » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for your advice Bob. I'll change away from draft mode then, as I still want to ensure I get the best image correction using the software.
markyruss
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 15