They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Videos taken with iPhone show incorrect date/time taken

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Postby HammerKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 am

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, so appreciate your patience.

I've just bought PSE15, setup my catalog & thought everything was going swimmingly well. However, that was until I discovered a problem with PRE15 not showing the correct date & time all videos were taken (iPhone videos only).

The result is the same irrespective of whether I:
a) use the PRE import function & select the file from file structure on Macbook
b) export video from Mac Photos to folder created in PRE Organizer
c) export video from Mac Photos using the 'unmodified original exporting IPTC as XMP'
d) export to Onedrive & then import into PRE
e) export using iExplorer (a 3rd party app I used to see what date/time it was reading (the correct one) purely for file export testing purposes

Apples default file format is .MOV (PRE friendly), but PRE puts a date/time taken stamp on it which is either:
1) the date of file transfer/import/export (DATE CREATED)
2) a day or 2 days later (DATE MODIFIED) yet the file has never been modified

Obviously I don't know why this is happening & I have raised a case with Adobe PRE support team (today), who now have all the evidence they need to escalate to their engineering team, but I am currently still baffled.

Does anyone here have experience of this issue & how to overcome it? I really don't want to spend hours/days that I don't have manually adjusting the date/time of every video.

Thanks for reading
:tx:

mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 on MacBook Pro (Apple M1 Max)
Elements Organizer 22 version 20.0
HammerKing
New User
New User

Re: Videos taken with iPhone showing incorrect date/time sta

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:13 am

Just to confirm:

You're not outputting video from Premiere Elements, right? This is raw footage from your phone? And you get the same results when you use the Organizer's Import button to import the video directly from your phone, right?

Because, of course, if you are saving a photo from Photoshop Elements or outputting a video from a Premiere Elements project, it becomes a new still or clip and will take on the date it was saved.

But if your footage is coming directly from your camcorder or phone, the Organizer should show it with the date it was recorded.

At least that's the case on Windows 10. I'll check to ensure that's the case on my Mac later.

Meantime, anybody else experiencing something similar to Neil?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HammerKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for quick reply. I can confirm I have not edited the footage taken on the iPhone. I take photos/video on my iPhone which are all synchronised with my MacBook & iPad via iCloud. When I look at my videos on my MacBook or iPad within the default MAC Photos app, the correct date/time are shown.

I have attached a couple of screenshots so that you can see what is shown within Photos vs. PRE 15 Organizer

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.07.23.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 13.33.25.jpg

All further thoughts & input appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 am

Can you check the files on your phone directly from your computer before importing them and see what date stamp they have on your phone.

I have a PC so I can use the file explorer to go directly to the phone and look at the file attributes.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby HammerKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks Sidd; I know what you mean. I knew how to do that when I had a PC, but moved to Apple MacBook about 2 years ago & not sure how to do that. Within the photos app on the iPhone itself, the date & time are correct & consistent across all devices (MacBook, iPhone & iPad).
I'll have to google & see if its possible to do that.
Kind regards
Neil

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

I did some experimenting, moving and opening and closing video and still photos on my Mac, and I couldn't duplicate your experience, Neil. Granted, I'm using El Capitan rather than Sierra (which definitely COULD be a factor), but the dates I see for my videos and photos are indeed the dates that were time stamped by the camcorder and the phone. (I'm using and Android phone, but I would think that an iPhone and Mac would have even more integration of data.)

I'll continue to experiment and see if I see something.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HammerKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks Steve. I think that's the key; to find someone on your muvipix community that is using an iPhone & understand what user experience is. I'm also hoping that Adobe team will revert with something useful relating to the case I raised earlier today.

I have a hunch, but it might be completely off the mark. I'm guessing the date taken for most people is the same as date created for all unmodified files. However, I think what might be happening is that synchronisation to the iCloud could be creating a new creation date. The date taken is obviously still held within the file, but maybe PRE doesn't look for this?

As I said, just a hunch, but unless any other contributors can tell me if there's a workaround or not, then I guess I just need to wait for Adobe to come back to me.

All input so far is very much appreciated

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Couldn't speculate.

But meantime, if you'd like to Dropbox one of your problem videos to me, you can share it with my first name at Muvipix dot com. Then I can really see if I get the same results.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HammerKing » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Couldn't speculate.

But meantime, if you'd like to Dropbox one of your problem videos to me, you can share it with my first name at Muvipix dot com. Then I can really see if I get the same results.

Thanks Steve. Will do this tomorrow.

Kind regards

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerKing
New User
New User

Re: Videos taken with iPhone show incorrect date/time taken

Postby HammerKing » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 am

Files shared Steve.

Kind regards

Neil

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks, Neil. I've received the files -- unfortunately, I wasn't able to learn much from them.

Are these files directly from your phone? Never opened or saved by another program?

Everything bit of metadata indicates that they originated on April 20 and 21.

How did you get the files from your phone to your computer? Once they're on your computer, does Finder still indicate the April 8 date? I'm just trying to get a feel for when the metadata switches them to the current date.

As I've said, whenever I get video from my phone or camcorder, this video retains the original date metadata until I open and then save the file in my editor.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HammerKing » Fri May 12, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay in replying; I was on holiday for a couple of weeks & just catching up now.

I shoot the clips on my iPhone & then they appear within iOS & Mac Photos across all devices (MacBook Pro & iPad) after syncing automatically via iCloud. This is pretty much an immediate process & I can confirm that date/time/location information is consistent across all devices within the iOS & Mac Photos apps.

I'm then working on MacBook & as soon as the clips are exported out of Apple Photos (to finder or Elements Catalog folder) or Imported from MacPhotos to Elements Catalog Folder, that's when the date taken & other metadata seems to get lost.

Any further thoughts appreciated

Kind regards

Neil

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 12, 2017 7:16 am

You say you're exporting the photos out of Mac Photos -- and that these photos are not the original photos from the device but rather copies from the an iPhone cloud sync?

I don't know if exporting from Mac Photos is making the difference or what. It could be that this hybrid Mac cloud file sharing is messing with the metadata.

What happens if you attach the phone to your computer and, in the Elements Organizer, you select the option to download the photos from your phone to your computer -- importing it into the Organizer in the process.

As I said, I've not experienced what you're describing and I can't duplicate it with my phone. However, I don't have an iPhone and I'm not using Mac Photo to access the files, and that's the only variable I can think of.

Beyond that, I'm stumped.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HammerKing » Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 am

Hi Steve,

I've made some (small) progress. The correct date/time the video was taken is contained within the file! See the attachment below which details date/time/geo location information - all there as it should be.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 11.24.42.png

I found several apps in the Apple App store, but the best one I found to be 'MediaInfo' (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mediain ... 0098?mt=12)

This interrogates the file data in a similar way to the 'inspector' within Apples preview, when you open a photo.

After further dialogue with Apple, they acknowledge that this information should be far more easily accessible to the consumer, while Adobe have promised to come back to me today with a further update.

In terms of the question you ask relating to attaching the iPhone to the computer & importing from PRE Organizer, I appear to have completely overlooked this & IT DOES SHOW the correct date/time a clip was taken( :exc: ). However, from 2500 photos & 500 video's on my phone (approximately), it only reads 1570. Is this an import limitation? Secondly, an additional problem would then be that I'm optimizing the iPhone's storage by keeping lower resolution images & video clips on the phone, vs. the full resolution files on the MacBook and my phone wouldn't be able to take the full library of images & videos at full resolution due to capacity issues.

Any thoughts on import issues from phone would be welcome.

Thanks & regards

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HammerKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 am

Sorry, Neil. I've got to throw in the towel on this one.

As I said, I can't duplicate your experience -- and, even if I could, it would be an Adobe or an Apple issue, and I don't know what to do about it if it is.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 15