They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

4K UHD output

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

4K UHD output

Postby russhart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:28 pm

I am currently looking at how to setup my home theater for 4K movies created in PRE15 and from a Panasonic HC-WXF990M camera. What confuses me is the options for 4K output under Devices. There are 2 options, Computer and TV. What is the difference and how do I then play these files through my Home Theatre.

I have a Panasonic 4K TV, a Yamaha 4K receiver and about to upgrade my Oppo BD player to the new UHD model 203.

Can I stream the PRE15 generated MP4 file via JRiver on my PC?

Both the Oppo and Panasonic require HDMI 2 for 4K inputs so what other options do I have where I can playback my PRE15 files using HDMI?

4K media streamers seem only to work with the internet and not a home network.

Looking for some guidance here as this is all new to me.

Thanks
Russ
Win 10 Pro 64bit, GTX-680 i7 3770K, 8Gb DDR3 RAM,
russhart
New User
New User

Re: 4K UHD output

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm not sure we can answer specific questions about your equipment, Russ -- unless on the off chance one of our Muvipixers happens to have some of the same devices.

But as far as Premiere Elements is concerned, the Device/TV option for outputting your movie will produce a 4K movie that you can copy to a thumb driver, plug into your TV's USB port and play using your TV's playback feature.

The Device/Computer option will produce a 4K video you can view on your computer, upload to YouTube -- or stream to your TV using a device like Chromecast.

Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't think there's much difference between the two files. They're both playable 4K MP4s. So you can probably use them interchangeably. I haven't done any tests myself to see if there is a major difference in quality or file size. (The differences are a bit more pronounced when you're comparing the HDTV Device/TV option to the 1920x1080 MP4.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby russhart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Thanks Steve for your quick response.

My understanding is that the 4K MP4 files played via USB in either the TV or UHD player will only output to HD not 4K UHD. The only correct way to play 4K MP4 videos is via the HDMI 2.0 inputs in either the TV or UHD player.

You mention Chromecast, so I will look into that, but I will need a media streamer that connects to my home wifi network. I will also check with JRiver to see if they have the ability to stream 4K MP4 files?

Russ
russhart
New User
New User

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:43 pm

There are 2 options, Computer and TV. What is the difference and how do I then play these files through my Home Theatre.

Russ,

WELCOME TO MUVIPIX!

I suggest you create a file and save both ways on the appropriate disc to see if either, both, or neither will play. Are BluRay discs 4k discs???

My "newish" computer monitor is 4k and my optical drive can both read and write BluRay format.... However, I quickly learned that purchased BluRay movies would not play on my computer while they do play fine on my HD TV. I had to purchase a program for my computer to get BluRay discs to play. I think it was Power DVD from Cyberlink.

Just guessing - your Oppo player would be more likely to play a TV version than a computer version. But that's just a guess. And I know nothing about streaming.

HTH,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:03 pm

You've piqued my curiosity. Since I'm filming in 4k I guess I should have looked into this before... Which disc? A whole new one! And based on the date of this article, it's been out a while.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-b ... t-we-know/

=======================

hmmm..... zero results for "4k writable discs" on Amazon.
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby russhart » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:35 pm

Paz.

Can't currently create UHD disks, no burner and no media, hence my question as I intend streaming these files via my wifi network.

Steve,

I have now bought a Chromecast Ultra which appears to do everything I require. Fingers crossed.
russhart
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am

I don't think you will ever see a burner and player for UHD, just as Blu ray seems to be going away. Everything will be streaming, no discs required :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:30 pm

From the Premiere forun:

There are two choices. First, newer 4K TVs have USB ports that accept thumb/flash drives and even HDDs. The menu system on the TV itself us used to control the playback of both videos and photos. This thumbdrive is the system that looks like it will be the choice for most consumers who produce their own 4K content. Using Premier Elements (or other NLE) you output a 4K MP4 video, put it on a thumb drive, plug it into the TV and play it.

Second, both YouTube and Vimeo have incorporated 4K capabilities. Depending on your internet connection and media player device you can watch your own 4K content that you've previously placed there. Both services have privacy settings if you want to restrict who watches your content.

Just make sure your internet, wifi and router has the bandwidth to stream the content over the internet. The recommendation is an extra 25mbps to stream 4k.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Yay, Sidd!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:34 pm

I use hard drives connected to my smart tv, not a 4k tv just HD. Thumb drives usually do not work as they are not fast enough, the video (even HD video) tends to stop and start, stutter and buffer, pretty bad if the bitrate is higher than the thumb drive can handle. There may be faster thumb drives, that I am not sure of. Generally do not have a problem when connecting a portable hard drive to the tv.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Turns out I was looking under the wrong name. Discs that are specifically for 4K called "UHD" or "BDXL" discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Disc-10 ... bdxl+discs

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BD-RE-Blura ... bdxl+discs

Millenniata says this about their 25GB disc:

"Q: Is this the correct disc for 4k video?"

"A: Yes, consumer 4K video streams are independent of the media used. Blu-ray media is an excellent choice for recording and archiving 4K resolution video."

So... if thumb drives and computer hard drives can store 4k data, perhaps "regular"
BluRay discs can as well. Maybe not as much? Apparently a 1 hour movie requires some 100+ GB of space and the "BDXL" discs provide that in several layers.

There are also BluRay burners that are BDXL compatible. Turns out that this one that I happened to have bought last year, not suspecting I might ever need "BDXL", can handle it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E7B08MS/re ... UTF8&psc=1

And there are several UHD (Ultra High Definition) media players:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-FMPX10-Ultr ... hd+players

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2TwaEutAo ... ug=9012804

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UBD-K850 ... B01A9V6OI6

I haven't deeply explored all these products. Just found them on this rainy day, but I did notice the Oppo player description says this:

"built-in Wi-Fi for streaming video and music from networked storage devices or computers"

Does that mean the Oppo can stream 4k video from the Oppo player to the 4k television within its own wi-fi system, like the GoPro can wi-fi with my phone when out in the boonies where there is no internet?

Paz

(I know this does nothing to answer Russ' original question. If anyone feels I'm going too far off topic, I'll be happy to start a new thread re: 4k stuff.)
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 15