They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Delete and Close Gap failure

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Delete and Close Gap failure

Postby abgtc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:40 am

Bob & Steve: Thanks so much for your help with my fade problem. And I'm now using the Applied Effects for text position, which is wonderful.

But a problem has arisen; I imported a new clip, what appears to be a standard mp4 like all the others I've been working with, and Delete and Close Gap doesn't work. Specifically, the option is grayed out. And Shift-Delete doesn't work either.

The problem was there as soon as I imported the clip -- I didn't change any settings -- and I checked to confirm that Delete and Close Gap still works fine with all my other clips.

Is it just an unfortunate idiosyncracy that Delete and Close Gap doesn't work with all clips?
abgtc

Re: Delete and Close Gap failure

Postby abgtc » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:49 am

Never mind: I noticed that I'd mistakenly imported the clip into Video/Audio 2 rather than 1; in 1 it works fine.
abgtc

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

abgtc wrote:Never mind: I noticed that I'd mistakenly imported the clip into Video/Audio 2 rather than 1; in 1 it works fine.

Welcome to the "self help" portion of the forum. :-D
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:25 am

There is a way to "Delete and Close Gap" for clips on other tracks besides track 1. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about when you select an empty space and then right-click and select "Delete and Close Gap."

1. Move the CTI so it is over the clip in question.
2. Right-click in the Preview window, then select "Select..." from the pop up menu, then select the clip in question from the pop up menu. The clip should become highlighted on the timeline if it isn't already.
3. Immediately select Edit from the main menu, then select "Delete and Close Gap," or press the Backspace key. Do not try to right-click on the actual clip on the timeline, because the option will be greyed out in the pop up menu and become greyed out in the Edit menu.

If after step 2 you change the focus to some other window -- such as the timeline -- from the preview window, the option to "Delete and Close Gap" will be disabled in the Edit menu.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 15