They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Video Capture Issue

Specific to Premiere Elements version 15

Video Capture Issue

Postby AVITRY » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:40 am

Hi guys. Well I finished up a few avi files I had and I was hoping to begin capturing video on my new computer build with PE 15. It's still an older motherboard. an ASRock Z68 extreme 4 Gen 3 with an i7 2600 and 16 gigs of DDR3 and I purchased a dedicated video card GTX 750 ti.

Anyway, I don't think it's hardware related, I think it's Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit issue.

I can't capture video from VHS through the Canopus 300 into either PE 15 or WinDV.

Canopus 300 comes with only software for controlling the picture, called ( of course) Picture Controller. When I open picture controller the VHS tape video show on my TV (which I have attached with component out from the Canopus. When I click on a button saying "video preview" within the Canopus Picture Controller software, a small preview window opens and I then can also see the video in that preview.

As expected with this small preview window open, I also am able to hear vhs audio, since the output to my TV is component, there is no audio to the TV. So .... all that seems to work fine.

Now the new PE 15 doesn't have that nice choice button "CAPTURE" F5 ( LOL ) like Vers. 3 had. and I can't get it to recgonize the Canopus.

I downloaded WinDV and I can't get that to capture or recognize either. Unless that is ..... strangely enough, If I open the Picture Controller software, then close it. Then open the WinDV, I can get video within the winDV program, but no audio.

I plug the Canopus into my older i5 running windows XP and PE3 works fine, both audio and video. But strangely again, WinDV isn't recognizing the canopus. < sigh> where's that black cloud ... ahh there it is, right over my head. I tried Windows Movie Maker software and I can view video, both on TV and on preview in Movie Maker, but no audio. I can capture.

Any ideas guys? I didn't see any special drivers. I mean it's a firewire device.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Video Capture isse

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:55 am

Is your ADVC connected via a FireWire IEEE-1394 connection? That's the only way you'll get a connection to WinDV from your digitizer.

Windows 7 meantime, had a problematic IEEE-1394 driver. This may be resolved by going to your Device Manager and setting the IEEE-1394 driver to Legacy.

Beyond that, the only thing that would seem suspect is that GTX graphics card. In the past two weeks, nVidia has released drivers that have notoriously "broken" a lot of software. Some people have reported that the drivers released in the last day or so have fixed the problem -- but others have had to roll back to pre-October 15 drivers.

But hopefully merely setting the FireWire driver to Legacy will solve your problems.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Video Capture Issue

Postby AVITRY » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:46 pm

I did set the driver to legacy and that didn't work. Then I had a brain storm. I had an old PCI firewire card. I first went into the bios and disabled the motherboard 1394 pinout, I installed the PCI card and rebooted.

This is great. The computer wouldn't even post. The opening screen comes on to access the bios hit delete or F2, but keyboard had no response. (same keyboard I had just disabled the motherboard 1394 port, so while I know some keyboards prevent access to bios, this keyboard had just been used for the bios.

I shut the system down, took the PCI card out and it booted fine, access bios fine .... go figure.

Last thing so far. I just ordered a PCI-E 1394 card with Texas Inst. chip, I'll see, but I'm lost.

I'll ck Nvidia drivers next. (but it did work with picture controller preview) ( gotta love the pci card locking up the computer. Maybe it was NG, it was in a sealed box that I hadn't used at all and bought years ago. Or .. my luck, maybe that pci slot is ng. I'll try another also.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:20 pm

Well, update .... I guess I'm officially in trouble. I just got in the pci-e 1394 card with the texas inst. chipset set. No good. I tried the video card. took it out and ran the igpu ... no difference.

In some of the progams I try now ... I get it to show video ok sometimes, and then it gets very dark after 3 or 4 seconds. video still showing but so dark you can hardly see it. This is the same result using pci-e 1394 or motherboard built in 1394.

I have tried 3 different firewire cables also.

Some capture programs won't even see the 300

Now I even get sporadic errors when I try to open picture controller.

this is happening on two different computers one is XP Pro and the other win. 7

I have an older DV camcorder, Panasonic GS200 so I hooked that up, just to rule out a bad Canopus 300.

PE 15 doesn't see this camcorder either. Which was a curve ball. Nothing wrong with the camcorder.

I get no supported device has been detected. Same as the 300. But I do get that bing bong when I plug in the 300 or the gs200.

Win DV does see the gs200 and only video, no audio

DVCapture (another free ware) gets both video and audio from the gs200 no problem at all.

If I go way back on the XP machine PE3 sees the 300 but once again, the video is fine for 3 or 4 seconds then it gets very dark.

If I wasn't getting issues on PE15 from the gs200, I'd assume it was a bad 300, but I don't understand why PE15 can't even see the gs200.

When PE 15 opens, it goes directly to the editor. I did that in the setup cog. Is there a way to go back to the opening screen? Are there any program settings there for PE15 that might help find AT LEAST the gs200. Makes no sense. thanks all.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:54 pm

You can re-open the Welcome Screen by selecting the option under Premiere Elements' Help menu.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 pm

thanks Steve ... and that getting dark is macrovision I think.... I'm running out of gas, but, as of now, I have video playback without audio using WinDV. I have both Video and Audio using DVcapture ... and every time I power on the canopus 300 I get that windows ding dong, but .. PE 15 just won't recognize any compatable device to allow me to capture through that program. Power Director does also ... giving up for tonight. thank you.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:33 am

Do note that, when you capture with WinDV YOU WILL NOT HEAR SOUND from your video, Joe!

The audio and video will both be captured. You should hear that when you play back the captured file. But you won't hear the video as your capturing it.

So please clarify that when you say you're not getting any audio, that you're judging by the actual captured video. Not the sound you hear as you preview or capture in WinDV -- so we know we're chasing the right issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:16 am

Yes, capture a couple minutes using WinDV that you know has audio and then check for audio during playback of the captured file.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Ahhh ... the Comedy of Errors! And now for the conclusion ... I think.

It all started when I opted for speed (read build an i7 64bit Win. 7 for encoding) over ease of use authoring on the i5 windows XP that had good old DVD Workshop which I (amazingly) knew how to use.

So the quest began....

I purchased all new parts from Newegg 16 gigs of ram, SSD drives, All but the i7 and motherboard which I found on ebay.

Then in keeping with the speed theme, I purchased PE14 at the end of Sept. not knowing 15 was but a week away.

Disgusted I had an old version, one week old, my quest took a tangent and I contacted Adobe to get an upgrade to vers. 15. Nearly a month of suffering with ridiculous chat support, I finally got the upgrade.

The big moment was upon me. I loaded up the software, connected my Canopus 300, and attempted a test video capture.

Low and behold, the canopus didn't work ( AT LEAST THATS WHAT I THOUGHT)

Frantic, I downloaded, WinDV, where I got video but no audio on in the WinDV program. Not only that, but my video went "super dark" after 3 or 4 seconds of capture. OMG, all this time, all this money, already pissed off that I can't use DVD Workshop, now the damned Canopus doesn't work.

I remembered Steve mentioned some issues with Nvidia Graphics card. So I took it out, reverted back to my IGPU and of course lost all the desktop icons along the way ... discombobulated my dual monitor settings... and .... same thing ...

On a lark, I unplug the Canopus from the i7 and stab the firewire into my i5. I launch PE3 and it recognized my canopus.

More wasted time on the internet searching for answers ... reasons ... anything. and I came across a very wise man's post by chance.
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1993077

post # 2 .... REALLY?????? That man we all admire for his depth of knowledge posted that since vers.13 you can no longer capture DV video in PE. Ha hahahahah .... LMAO .... REALLY????

So now I do a search on "no audio in WinDV" and the second part of my comedy of errors unfolds .. seems there's a little glitch in Win DV and lots of people cant get audio. REALLY????? What a co-inkie-dink.

Ah ... but the video going "super dark" why is my canopus doing this? WELL ... seems the third module of the comedy of errors has been solved. MACROVISION copy protection does that!!!! Seems I grabbed an old Marx Bros. VHS to use in my original test.

So I reach for an older version of PE. This rendition was Vers. 11 I install, I open .. and ... I capture a VHS tape ( not the Marx Bros. btw)
No problem.

And now, suffering nearly complete .. that's where I am. No DVD Workshop, way back to version 11 of PE. Which by the way has the "EXPORT" option grayed out ... I'll figure that out sooner or later, but I had to stop to update all you guys nice enough to help.

Even Steve ... LOL Age getting to him, although he looks good for a guy with Alzheimer who forgot about no DV capture in 14 or 15 PE.

<sigh> It's ok ... I forgot about Macrovision after the failed PE capture and the error with audio in WinDV, Murphy's Law got me and I automatically assumed the dark video when put together with the other problems equaled a bad Canopus 300.

Next hurdle I have to learn DVD Architect Studio, and Photoshop, so I can duplicate what I'm sure would be a ridiculously simple menu page that I have to do over and over for these VHS conversion DVDs.

All cause I decided to choose speed over my DVD Workshop .... whew .. .what a quest, what a quest!

The aheader I go ... the behinder I get! That quote probably from another idiot like me. See you all in the PE 11 forum very soon ... I'm sure. LOL.

Here's a funny little update I had to share... just now I grabbed that Marx Bros. VHS, stuck it into vcr, and the Canopus 300, pressed the two little top buttons on the canopus ( undocumented Macrovision Override) and LOL, it plays and captures fine also on PE 11, without darkened video from Macrovision.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:26 pm

What a story! Regarding the grayed-out Export function, I don't have it in front of me but if I recall they moved all the Export stuff to be included in Publish & Share. Never did figure out why they left the Export there, but grayed-out, in the menu.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby AVITRY » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 pm

Now we know Dave ... they left it for me, on this day, the day of exhaustion and confusion. :ha: :pull: :-D
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:15 pm

I would use version 11 to capture and version 15 for editing and everything else, I still use version 10 regularly :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 15