They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Which camera for stills?

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Which camera for stills?

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 am

I need a pocket camera for nothing more than still shots. I need it to have the following features:

1. fits in my hip pocket with ease
2. shoots when I click, not two seconds later, not even a half second later
3. has a very simplified menu
4. will not shoot just because I'm holding it wrong
5. has a good zoom
6. takes good and FAST close-ups
7. shoots in resolution that remains excellent at 512 and 924 bit rates
8. doesn't go through the batteries quickly
9. can be bought at a store

Thanks for your suggestions! I will buy within 24 hours because I have to cover a super-cool gourd festival.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Which camera for stills?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 am

Well, it's hard to name a precise model, since new models are being introduced every month -- especially since we don't know what your budget is. But based on recommendations from my camera guru, Will Crocket, I'd check out:

UNDER $200
Panasonic Lumix 12 megapixel
Casio Exilim

UNDER $300
Canon PowerShot SX series IS

UNDER $500
FujiFilm S series EXR

TOP OF THE HEAP (over $2000)
Nikon D700 DSLR
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:48 am

What a nice selection you've given here, Steve.

I on purpose did not state a price range. Sometimes I think I need two still cameras. I don't shoot video on these, either.

Hmmm...the Canon PowerShot SX series isn't simplified enough for quick use and for the way the features are situated overall. I don't want to have to study a camera real closely in order to use it rapidly. I will not use it often, but I will use it a lot during a year.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am

My daughter loves her Fuji FinePix but it will not fit in your back pocket with ease as you request in #1.
Neither will the D700, as a matter of fact the only one Steve listed that might is the Panasonic.
I don't think you will find a camera that does most of what you want and #1 too ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am

My revised preferences:

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteWhich camera for stills?
by Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 am

I need a pocket camera for nothing more than still shots. I need it to have the following features:

1. fits in my pocket
2. shoots when I click, not two seconds later, not even a half second later
3. has a very simplified menu
4. will not shoot just because I'm holding it wrong
6. takes good and FAST close-ups
7. shoots in resolution that remains excellent at 512 and 924 bit rates
8. doesn't go through the batteries quickly
9. can be bought at a store
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

You just pretty much shot down all our recommendations, Max. Sounds like you're doing great in your search without our help. ;)

Seriously, you're not going to wrong, no matter what you choose. Especially if you stay among the major brands.

Why not just go to a camera store or even a Best Buy and just try some on for size?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:37 pm

One issue with photography is that you almost never can get a good shot without first setting up the camera for its surroundings. Dusk, dawn, sunlight, overcast, ... All need to have the camera set for specific types of light.
Sure you can use auto settings but will never get a really good image without the proper setup. Another consideration is the speed of the subject, fast movement is going to be tough to shoot without the proper settings and camera.

If it has to fit in your pocket that really leaves out a lot of the better cameras and you will lose some of your requirements like 2, 4, and 6. I have an old Kodak 6mp camera that is great but it would fail on #'s 2, 4 and 8 for sure.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Regarding #2, I haven't seen an under $200 camera that is fast.

Even this review of the Panasonic Lumix 12 megapixel says it's slow:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... 67548.html
Peru

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok, then, please tell me if there are any precautions about taking photos with a camcorder. I really like the convenience. My Sony XR550v seems to do okay with still shots that it takes automatically in a way I haven't figured out yet. These are large files (3 to 3.5 megs per still). That makes them very useful in terms of the bit rate of the final product. I also have a good light.

Are there any precautions I might overlook? It's easy to shoot stills with this camcorder.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:54 pm

I don't think that would be a problem at all Matthew, you might have found the best and least expensive solution there is :)

Another thought is that you can always remove a still from your video, I do that all the time.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:03 pm

I am often given special access to get up-close footage and photos, and I often work in very tight spaces. In such cases, I cannot use a regular-sized still camera. That's why the idea of shooting stills with my XR550v camcorder appeals to me. For other situations, we have a real nice camera, but it too is too big for me to carry when I'm also shooting video. That's when it takes two of us.

Chuck, I do take stills out of video when I need to, but I find that a good photo is usually way more useful and way more efficient in the editing...all because the final product is downscaled to a 512 or 924 bit rate. There are so many things that can be done with a good high-resolution still.

Thanks for the information! This has been very educational for me. Sometimes it takes me a while to get around to the question I need to ask (Will the camcorder do the job?) and I always hope I don't frustrate everyone while I'm trying to figure out the question to ask. I will look into the cameras Steve suggested when I am ready to get a good lightweight one that doesn't fit in my pocket.
Matthew Max
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Tools