They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting vob to ?

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Converting vob to ?

Postby GerryB » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:22 am

Good morning.
I have been sent two 1.4GB DVds with 40 minutes of a rugby game on each disc. I want to combine these files onto a single disc and then duplicate. No copyright problems to worry about.
I have tried to import them into Prem Pro and Prem El3 and I get about 15 - 20 minutes of video from the largest vob file, it should be about 40m long.
I downloaded the software Steve recommended but found it required a spend of $20 to obtain the MPEG coder file.
Before I spend my money for a rather limited exercise is there another way to take the vob files from the individual discs and build them into a single DVD?
I have Encore CS5, if that helps.
Thanks in advance.
Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Converting vob to ?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:51 am

Does this look like something you want to attempt?

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2469&hilit=combine+vob
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:53 am

Have a look here. Does it help?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 am

VideoRedo Plus has a Combine command for combining VOB files. I'm not sure if the trial version has limitations on this. http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby GerryB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 am

Thank you all for the pointers, I like the DOS prompt approach. It reminds me of the days when I had a BBC Micro - a well known computer to folk on the east side of the pond!

I left out some important details when I posted. The vob files are 8000,000M each and so when they are combined they will exceed the 1G limit that Bob mentions in his article. The other this is that they discs which I have been given are mini discs so the 40 minutes seem to be heavily compreseed as against the standard DVD. Its this the reason why when I import into PrPro I only see 15 min of the file instead of the 40 min that plays when I view the mini disc? Is the import decoder in PrPro not recognising the coder used in the Panasonic VDR-D300 camera that was used to generate the discs? The camera is about 100 miles to the east of me, so getting hold of it is not easy.

Combining the files and then importing into PrPro will not be a problem as I can work with those files.

On a general point. If I combine vob files from different sources how would I then go about building a 'new' DVD with menu from the combined file?

Many thanks in advance,
Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Tools