They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transferring Big Files

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Transferring Big Files

Postby rusty » Thu May 27, 2010 3:22 pm

I've just about finished the 6 month long marathon of making my daughter's grad video. Only 20 minutes long with video, slide shows, etc. but fiddly (including poring over boxs of old still photos and scanning them, pounding through my digital photos, and then resizing everything, looking at the old video and picking out just the right clips, etc. - you all know the drill). I had a ball, the product is great and boy, do I ever know how to keyframe now! I'll post the opening 2 minute sequence that includes the K - 12 morph in the next day or so.

Anyway, part of it was getting about 35 different people to send me several seconds of video congratulations that I have edited together. Most people have a digital still camera that takes video, so that was fine, but the resulting files were between 12 and 65 MB's which is too large for many ISP's. Luckily I discovered: http://www.transferbigfiles.com and it is fantastic. For free, people could upload a file (up to 1 GB) to the site which sent me an e-mail with a link to the file that I just downloaded in a few seconds. Even my dad was able to send me a clip of my 99 year old grandmother with no difficulty. About half a dozen people from across the country and as far away as New Zealand used it.

They also offer a reasonable subscription for more advanced functionality, but for getting the odd large file moved without access to your own ftp site, this seems to work like a charm.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Transferring Big Files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 pm

That's a great find, Rusty! Thanks for the tip.

And I'm glad your big, epic project turned out so satisfying for all involved!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu May 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Russ, looking forward to seeing your hard work. I'm sure your daughter will love it. And thanks for the tip on sending large files. Vimeo is great for transfers too. A basic user has 1 week from upload before the source file is converted and a Plus user no time limit. Private album available too.

I've got a morphing project coming up this Fall and may ask for your expert help. :) Haven't used Fantamorph in a long time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby rusty » Thu May 27, 2010 4:34 pm

I don't know about expert Cheryl...servicable, maybe! Maybe my recollection is more recent. It is a pretty cool program though.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Sounds like a great find. Also Yahoo's IM (instant messenger) lets you IM up to 2GB at a time. Of course each person must have Yahoo IM but it is free. I use this to transfer huge video files all the time.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby rusty » Thu May 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm glad your big, epic project turned out so satisfying for all involved!

Steve, I have to say that I referred to your Premiere Elements 7 book numerous times...I still have the DVD authoring/menuing to do before "delivery" on convocation day next Friday so I expect I'll have your DVDAS book by my side throughout that too. Thank you for these great resources. I have your Premiere Elements Tips and Tricks too and can't wait to do a bit more experimenting.

It has been a little over a year and a half since I bought my Quad core computer and PE7/PSE7 - at that time, I didn't know .avi from .m2ts, AVCHD from HD, or any of the software from Audacity to ImgBurn, Fantamorph to WinDV, let alone how to capture video, resize a photo, or edit the simplest project. Nor did I know about external SATA drives, keeping the OS and programs only on the system drive, printable DVD's, backing up properly or cloning a hard drive (to name just a couple!). I started with a single 1 TB drive and now have a 1 TB and a 1.5 TB internal drive, an external 1.5 SATA drive and an external 2TB USB back-up drive, two 23 inch monitors, a scanner and a photo/DVD printer. My office looks like a production studio - okay, it IS a production studio! It is mind boggling what one can learn in a relatively short time when one sets one's mind to it and I have learned the most, and gained the most inspiration, from Muvipix. It is the best $69 I ever spent, period. I now have a creative hobby that I love that didn't exist for me all that long ago. What a community. Thanks!!
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Those words mean more to us than you can know, Rusty!

Muvipix has always been a labor of love for us, and it's wonderful to hear that it's helping people.

Thank you so much for your wonderful success story! And do let us know if you have any questions at all.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks Rusty, you made my day :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tools