They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving Your Old VHS Analog Tapes In Digital Format

MUsic / VIdeo / PIX related, plugins, filters, must have tools.

Saving Your Old VHS Analog Tapes In Digital Format

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:19 pm

I copied this from a post on the Adobe forum, thanks Ken, this is very good advice.

I asked Ken if a good JVC VCR with Digipure will help to capture my VHS tapes with better quality and without dropping frames, particularly the SR-V101US model. Here is Ken's response...

'Hi Chuck. The HR-S9911U was the last JVC consumer model with DigiPure circuitry which includes the line-TBC, and it was discontinued for sale at the end of 2005. The SR-V101 is supposed to be a "pro-sumer" version, which could justify the higher price ($400 list, I think). According to some of the posts on VideoHelp the mechanism's pedigree is in doubt. J&R has it now for $279.99 which is pretty reasonable and gets you a new warranty. I suspect that the innards are quite the same.

I don't use my 7800 for anything other than acquiring video for archival purposes - just to preserve the machine as long as possible. Analog is definitly going away, so whatever you decide to do, I recommend preserving your analog equipment.

The units with DigiPure will work wonders for most old tapes, but if you want to acquire video from poor condition tapes, poor program material, EP/SLP tape speed or 2nd genertion VHS copies you may at times be disappointed. Then, the full-frame TBC is the only solution. -- Ken'

In addition to a good quality VCR a digital convert is highly recommended. There are a few worthwhile brands but the most highly recommended are the ADS Pyro A/V Link and several of the Canopus brands

http://shopping.chuckengels.com/

Thanks again Ken :)
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Tools