They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to find an Adobe support person

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

How to find an Adobe support person

Postby mikecox » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm

I have a 3-minute slideshow consisting of 7, 2500px, 300ppi images and a short video clip.

I was able to stabilize the video clip and add some keyframe animations but now it's gone jittery again so I stabilized it again and it's no longer working. I'm guessing that more about the preview issue causing play to constantly hang up, even after Rendering, which takes about 5 min!

Even after rendering is complete there is an orange bar over 1/3 of the project and it does not start running automatically when the render is complete. I'm wondering if there is something going on in the background so I left it for 10 minutes but the bar remains and it did not start. When I started it the CTI moved across the first image and the soundtrack played but the Monitor remained black for 5 seconds.

A title was supposed to glide into the scene but it stepped it, jumping instead of gliding, it looked like a 1920 movie, only worse! I hit Stop and when I restarted it nothing happened for 5 seconds then the title began stepping into the scene like before. Oh, and I just noticed, the bar is all green now, but that hasn't smoothed things out.

So I gave up and exported the project. When I played it it ran perfectly, except for the video, which, somehow, lost the stabilization I added. I plan to Load it on its own, stabilize it again, add my key-frames, then save is as an AVI file and import it into the project to replace the clip that is there.

I've been in touch with Surface Book forum users and one member said. like you, that he isn't having a problem with PrE. But he is a "novice" that just edited a lecture.

I posted a question on the Adobe forum but have not yet received a response.

I wonder if there is a way to get an Adobe expert to talk with me about this. Do you have any idea how I might get in touch with someone at Adobe who might be willing to get in the weeds with me on this, maybe log into my computer so he can watch what is happening?

I recently read a tutorial on re-installing Windows and wonder if that might address the problem, but before I take that on I'd like to talk with an expert from Adobe.

The other option is to simply abandon PrE and switch to PowerDirector, which I bought several years ago and spent a little time exploring.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to find an Adobe support person

Postby Peru » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Try updating or rolling back your video driver directly from the card manufacturer's site.
Peru

Postby mikecox » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Peru wrote:Try updating or rolling back your video driver directly from the card manufacturer's site.
On Monday I checked the Device Manager's Display adapter for an updated driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GPU graphics card. The result was "the best driver software for your device is already installed" so I thought I could do no more. But there is a "roll back" option. I tried that and it appeared to help, at first! The first title glided all the way in but by the time the next image appeared and the second title started to move the jerking started again.

I will go to the NVIDIA website, as you suggest, and see if I get better results, or to see if I can find some answers, as this does seem to be a video card issue?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:29 pm

mikecox wrote:
Peru wrote: as this does seem to be a video card issue?

It's very possible.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Mike, can you start a new project with just the images and short video clip but no effects or transitions of any kind? Would like to see if playback is still a problem. Also, what is the pixel size and source of the video clip? What are your project settings? Finally, is the video project, the photos and video all on the primary hard drive of your Surface Book or is anything on an external drive?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Also, what if you create a project with just the photos and another project with just the video, do you have issues rendering or viewing either of those?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Also, what if you create a project with just the photos and another project with just the video, do you have issues rendering or viewing either of those?

I did create a project with just the video clip. That went pretty well.

The reason I did that is because when I was in the project in question I tried to stabilize that clip and, it worked, initially, but then, somewhere along the way it reverted and I was never able to stabilize it again. That's when I pulled the clip and put it in its own project, stabilized it, added my keyframes, exported it as a MOV file and added it back to my original project.

I've been experimenting with the right and left sliders on the timeline; not sure what they're called, that narrow the working area of the timeline, and allow you to export a small section of the timeline or restrict the amount of the timeline that gets rendered. I'm not impressed by the results but it does seem to help.

I am more and more convinced that this is a Graphics card issue but I've talked with other Surface Book users who aren't having this problem, but I have no idea how complicated the projects they are working on are.

But if that is the issue there is no solution! I may have to abandon PrE and switch to PowerDirector, although if it's my graphics card that may not solve the problem either.

I am checking out my options on the NVIDIA website and trying to get in touch with Adobe because I should not be having this kind of difficutly and I need to figure out why.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Take a look at this and see if it helps

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microso ... screte-gpu

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Take a look at this and see if it helps

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microso ... screte-gpu
tr

Hmmm, I posted a response to this post, wonder why it's not here?

Anyway, I tried changing the default settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel but that didn't improve things, then I downloaded and installed the DeForce Experience, but that appears to only work on games, it didn't change the behavior of the preview in PrE. So I left "feedback". I don't know if they will see, or respond, to it. I'll wait a few days then try to contact directly, on their website.

In the meantime, I'm going to try and hook up with someone from Adobe, they should be able to figure out what's going in.

Thanks for this!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi Mike, Did you see this post ?

Chuck Engels wrote:Mike, can you start a new project with just the images and short video clip but no effects or transitions of any kind? Would like to see if playback is still a problem. Also, what is the pixel size and source of the video clip? What are your project settings? Finally, is the video project, the photos and video all on the primary hard drive of your Surface Book or is anything on an external drive?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Hi Mike, Did you see this post ?
No

Chuck Engels wrote:Mike, can you start a new project with just the images and short video clip but no effects or transitions of any kind? Would like to see if playback is still a problem.
I will try this but I'm guessing it will run fine without the transitions or the animated text.

But we are dealing with a very short, 3-minute, project here with less the 10 still images with a default transition between them, and a couple of lines of animated text! But there is a lot of pan and zoom going on, but I'm creating my own custom pan and zoom using keyframes.

But If PrE, or my very adequate system, can't handle that then something is seriously wrong. You don't build a program crammed with bells and whistles then tell users to avoid using too many of them. It's like having a car with a speedometer that reads 120 and being told not to expect more than 90.

But my car seems to be the only one that can't do 120!

Also, what is the pixel size and source of the video clip? What are your project settings? Finally, is the video project, the photos and video all on the primary hard drive of your Surface Book or is anything on an external drive?
my images are 2500 px x 300 ppi, but Steve said that shouldn't matter. I am using default settings. all my Assets are on my internal SSD.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 am

What is the pixel size and source of the video clip? Are you using the Surface book with or without the keyboard/dock?

I have created many slideshows combining photos of similar size as well as video, all of them much longer than 3 minutes. I have created a lot of pan and zoom on the photos and I do not have this problem. I also know there are many other people that do this without issues as well. It's not that the program doesn't work but it can have issues with certain drivers, hardware, etc. There seems to be a lot of issues I have seen online related to the Surface Book and video in general. Most sites reference various games but that would also affect video editing applications as well.

It is very possible that this issue has something to do with your Surface Book. Might be worth contacting Microsoft and see if they can troubleshoot. Sure would love to solve this one and get you up and running smoothly :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:What is the pixel size and source of the video clip? Are you using the Surface book with or without the keyboard/dock?

I have created many slideshows combining photos of similar size as well as video, all of them much longer than 3 minutes. I have created a lot of pan and zoom on the photos and I do not have this problem. I also know there are many other people that do this without issues as well. It's not that the program doesn't work but it can have issues with certain drivers, hardware, etc. There seems to be a lot of issues I have seen online related to the Surface Book and video in general. Most sites reference various games but that would also affect video editing applications as well.

It is very possible that this issue has something to do with your Surface Book. Might be worth contacting Microsoft and see if they can troubleshoot. Sure would love to solve this one and get you up and running smoothly :)

Thanks. It looks like I am not dealing with program issues, that's a relief to know! I never really believed it was, otherwise, there would be a great hue and cry from a lot more people! I"m not getting much help from the SB forum, but the comments I've gotten seem to point to the graphics card. I am going to go to the NVIDIA website and see if I can find some answers there, as well as MS.

Sharing your experience with slideshows was very helpful, it takes PrE out of the equation, so I can focus my attention on another possibility, so, in a way, you really have solved the problem. :tup:

Thanks!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 am

I've been experimenting with Premiere Elements and I may have discovered something that may help, Mike.

Go to C\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Peak Files (you'll need to enable Show All Files in your Explorer/Folder Options to see these files) and delete the .pek files for your video clips. This will force the program to recreate them when you next re-open your project.

Let the program complete the task. You can watch the progress in the lower right of the program. Be patient. Don't interrupt the process.

I've had a couple of projects in which clips wouldn't play, and recreating the peak files usually fixes it. (It might be wise to also go to the program's preferences and clear the Media Cache too.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Awesome troubleshooting Steve :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 14