They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

lighting effects

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

lighting effects

Postby obbrock » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Greetings
I have been playing around with the lighting effects in premiere elements 14, but would like a better sense of how the different features work. Are there learning resources for this? I haven't managed to find any yet by searching for this topic.

OBBrock
obbrock
New User
New User

Re: lighting effects

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:26 pm

I would suggest that you purchase a copy of Steve's book: The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 14

https://www.amazon.com/Muvipix-com-Guid ... e+grisetti

Steve does a great job of walking you through the program and its features.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks for the plug, Sidd.

Can you be more specific about the lighting effects you'd like to know more about, OBB? What effect are you trying to create?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:10 pm

The Lighting Effect is in both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro and work very much the same in each. You may be able to find more tutorials for Pro than Elements. The main properties to be concerned with are those dealing with the Lights themselves and the ambient lighting. The other properties are specialized and not used much. As Steve says, if we know what you are trying to achieve and more specifics on what you have questions about we can help you better.

In the meantime, for starters, take a look at this Premiere Pro tutorial.
Bob

Postby obbrock » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:47 am

Thanks Sidd, Bob, and Steve

The book sounds like a good resource. I have been using effects such as the spotlight and the ambient light, and they have been helpful. But I find my use of them is clumsy and very much trial and error. I am hoping that there is a video that would go through all the lighting effects and explain things such as the major and minor radius, angle, etc for the lights and also things like surface material and bump. Basically, I am trying to improve some videos that were underexposed in the foreground, with strong backlighting, Ideally, I'd like to dim the backlight and brighten the people in the foreground. But I'd like to know what the potential for all the lighting effects is and I learn best by watching how it is done.
obbrock
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 am

Well, I show you some specific uses for the Lighting Effect in our "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Premiere Elements 14" book.

But I don't know of a general tutorial. I even looked through what I could find on YouTube and there's not a lot of value there.

Though as we've said, if you've got a specific question or you have a specific effect you're trying to achieve, we're glad to help you out. Otherwise, it might be best to just get in there and experiment.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Here's another Premiere Pro tutorial on the Lighting Effect that may help you. This one does talk about relighting the scene similar to what you are doing. Again, the effect works the same way in Premiere Elements.

At some point, you are going to have to simply play with the controls to see what they do. I don't know of any tutorial that goes into detail on all of them. Sorry.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 14