They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transcoding for PE 14

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Transcoding for PE 14

Postby abeck » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:37 pm

Using MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 to convert mp4 from camera, the resulting clip fails to fill the Monitor panel. What am I doing wrong?

add clip to MPEG Stream.jpg

convert to AVI settings.jpg

open in Premier Elem 14.jpg

Art
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
abeck
New User
New User

Re: Transcoding for PE 14

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 pm

This looks like a standard definition clip in a high definition project.

It looks to me that, in transcoding the clip in mpeg streamclip, you converted you high definition MP4 source clip into a standard definition DV/AVI clip. If you look at the clip properties, I think you'll find the frame size is 720x480. Because you specified a frame size of 1920x1080, I'm assuming you didn't intend to convert it to standard definition. Is that correct? NTSC DV is, by definition, standard definition 720x480. Even though you specified a larger frame size in mpeg streamclip, that setting was ignored as DV/AVI doesn't support it. If you want 1920x1080, you'll need to select something other than DV/AVI.

Why are you converting your source material? Premiere Elements 14 certainly supports your source format.
Bob

Postby abeck » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:02 am

Many thanks. Yes using the MP4 worked fine.

Just trying to follow the recommendation that Premier Elements works best with AVI:
"MPEG Streamclip (free at http://www.squared5.com ) - A great tool for easily converting MPEGs and VOB files (DVD video files). To use it, open the file with MPEG Streamclip and then open the AVI/DivX Exporter window from File/Export to AVI.

For Compression select the Apple DV/DVPRO_NTSC (or DV PAL, if appropriate) codec.
For Field Order select Lower Field First.
Change the default sound settings from MPEG Layer 3 to Uncompressed.

If you have widescreen footage click on the Options at the top right. Leave the Scan Mode as is but change the Aspect Ratio from 4:3 to 16:9.
If you would like to save these settings, click on the Presets button at the bottom left then click on the New button to name and save your settings. The next time you run MPEG Streamclip, you can go directly to the Presets button and Load your saved settings.

Click on “Make AVI” and choose a folder and filename for your DV-AVI file."

My version of MPEG Streamclip does not appear to have Apple DV/DVPRO_NTSC as a choice. Codec choices are Apple DV/DVCPRO-NTSC or Apple DVCPRO50-NTSC.
abeck
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:16 am

Early versions of Premiere Elements were designed to work with standard definition tape based camcorders. With those, media was captured to dv avi files. When mpeg support was first added, it was problematic hence the recommendation to convert to dv avi. That's ancient history. Premiere Elements fully supports mp4, there is no need for conversion.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby abeck » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:20 am

Many thanks. Art
abeck
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 14