They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Problem with my DVD's.

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Problem with my DVD's.

Postby Photochief » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi to all,
I am having a problem with the DVD’s I am making. I found a lot of older programs on PBS that my wife and I wanted to view so I downloaded a copy of the videos. Since it is hard for both of us to view on my computer’s small screen I created DVD+RW discs using Photoshop Premiere 14 so I can play on my normal large screen TV. My problem is the video will stop momentarily to a single view while the audio continues to play on. After a short time they will sync up again and play normally for a while before doing the same thing again. This will happen several times during a 1 hour program. While we don’t miss much of the program, it is annoying.
My question is what is the recommended way to make the best quality disc for one time viewing with the ‘Export & Share’ function in Photoshop Premiere 14? I have been making a 4.7 GB ISO file then using ImgBurn to make the DVD. Is this 'stopping of the video' a function of Downloading, or burning of the DVD where this is most likely to happen? Is there a better way to get better quality? Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Re: Problem with my DVD's.

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:29 pm

The first thing that I notice is that you said you're using DVD+RW discs. Some players have trouble properly reading the RWs, which record differently than a regular write-once DVD. Before you get too far into the troubleshooting process, try burning to a good quality Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden +R or -R and see if it does the same thing.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm with Dave. DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs are very different media, and some disc players don't play well with DVD-RWs.

If the DVD-RW plays fine in your computer but jams up in your disc player/TV, then that's what's going on.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:44 am

Just to add my twopennyworth.

I can understand using RW DVDs as, once you have watched the TV programme, you can re-use the DVD. In my case I only use RW media to check performance of menus etc. using a TV and DVD player on a DVD before the final burn; and, as recommended above, I also use only Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for the "final product".
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:11 am

Completely off-subject, you may also want to consider Google Chromecast for $35 (or Apple TV or Amazon Firestick). It plugs into the back of your TV (assuming you've got an HDMI port on your TV) and enables you to stream video from your computer or phone to your TV over wi-fi. Then you can dispense with DVDs completely.

Not only can you stream movies, YouTube and Netflix but, if you store any other video on your computer as an MP4, you'll be able to stream it to your TV without bothering that old 20th century technology.

Just a thought.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:45 am

Hi to all,
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. For the same reasons that John mentioned I use DVD+RW’s for the cost factor, we seldom either save the video or watch it multiple times. After watching the video I erase it and the disc is then available to record the next program. Almost all of my discs are DVD+RW. I only have problems when using the Premier Elements programs (13 & 14). When I record a program off the air directly to one of the DVD+RW discs I rarely have any problems and never have I experienced the interruptions and sync problem which I get when processing through Premiere Elements. That is why I am requesting recommendations for the best procedure to transfer and burn a video processed in Premiere Elements to a DVD. I have Steve's book and I am trying to learn the program but it is a lot for this 80 year old mind to comprehend and I am obviously not producing the best the program has to offer, but I want to get better.
Thanks again guys. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Photochief » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:04 am

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your suggestion. I already stream shows from my computer. We have both a Roku unit and the PlayOn & PlayLater systems installed on a wireless network attached to our master TV in the Entertainment room and it works well. But, we also have TV’s and DVD players available in several other rooms of a large house and a disc allows us to watch wherever we want. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:37 pm

I still say it's unrelated to the software. It's the DVD-RWs that are troubling your disc players.

I know it doesn't make sense to record DVD-Rs just so you can watch them once -- but it may be the only solution to this issue.

FWIW, you can get a stack of 100 DVD-Rs for about $15 at Amazon. That's about 15 cents a disc.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:53 pm

Have you tried a different brand of RW?
Peru

Postby Photochief » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I tried making a copy on a Memorex DVD+R disc (only brand I had available) and I must admit it did lessen the problem. About 4 to 5 times during a 53 minute video the picture went to a still image for 1 second or so with no break in the audio. It just created an effect where you are aware something happened and wasn't normal but didn't totally distract from the video and then continued with the audio and video in snych. It was a musical show so I could have noticed if the audio was also affected. All of my blank discs are Memorex and perhaps that brand is not completely compatible with Premiere Elements. I had a chance a few years ago to purchase Memorex products at a good price so I bought a large stock and have always used that brand with no problems. Anyway thanks for the advice. I am mainly interested if I am doing the duplicating process correctly.
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Memorex is a notoriously clunky brand of discs. But they usually work. Most of the time.

If you're still having problems on your disc player though and you're not having problems when you play the disc on your computer, then it could be that your disc player just doesn't like home-burned DVDs. Most players can, but some players are still kind of picky.

The least likely cause of your playback is that it's related to the way Premiere Elements makes discs. At least assuming that the disc plays fine in your computer. Which it does, right?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:00 am

A further thought - burn at the lowest rate that you can, 4x or even 2x. It all helps. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Photochief » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi to all,
Thank you for the responses.
The reason I use Memorex is I had a chance a few years ago to purchase Memorex products at a great price so I stocked up and still have plenty to use for my video work. I have over 300 DVD+RW discs that I use for time shifting TV shows and get good results. I have seldom had any problems using them. If something doesn't work it's most likely because I screwed it up and not the disc or one of my several video recorders.
I have tried playing the discs I made on my computer using Premiere Elements in several different DVD and Blu-Ray players with equal results, video frames freezing for a second or two.
Please don't think I am down on Premiere Elements, I really like the program, and find it not that difficult to use. I am just trying to find out what is the best way to get maximum quality once I click on the 'Export & Share' option. There are so many options and I am looking to set up a master procedure for me to make discs I can play and enjoy, Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm

That's very strange that you're seeing a stop at exactly the same spot when you play the disc on your computer. I have to tell you, I'm completely stumped!

There's nothing that Premiere Elements would do during it's transcoding that would cause this. And I assume you played the timeline of your project to make sure that that stop is not in the project itself.

Premiere Elements uses the Main Concept encoder for creating DVDs -- the most widely used MPEG encoder in the world.

If your movie was long enough that you were using a dual-layer disc, it's possible that you're seeing the disc hang as it changes layers. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I'd sure like to get my hands on your DVD. Is it possible for you to post the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents (or even the ISO) to a site like Google Drive and then share it with me so I can download it to my machine? That would be a sure way to ensure that it's not a mechanical or media issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14