They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Avoiding Transition Anomalies

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Avoiding Transition Anomalies

Postby John Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:43 pm

I've read the excellent explanation in the Muvipix Guide to PEL 14 of why some transitions have anomalies etc and how to adjust the clip to correct the problem.

However, I would like to avoid these anomalies occurring in the first place so can anyone advise on what I need to do to prepare clips to allow say a 1 sec transition at both ends.

This would be in a series of clips of various lengths from 4 secs to 10 secs.

John

Highly recommended - Muvipix Guide to PEL 14
[1] Sony RX100 M6 (PAL)
[2] Panasonic HC-X920 (PAL)
Software:
Elements 2018
Sonicfire Pro 6.0
Intel i5 3.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
C: 500Gb SSD, 2 x 1Tb internal SATA drives, 3 x 2Tb Back Up Drives
16 Gb Ram
Radeon Pro WX3100
Based in Canterbury, UK
John Walker
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Avoiding Transition Anomolies

Postby momoffduty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:53 pm

If I am understanding correctly, the anomalies are when frames are repeated to accommodate a transition. It starts with shooting capturing a second or two at the beginning and ending of a clip. This is Heads and tails of a clip. When trimming the clips in the trim monitor, leave room for the transition with extra frames. You can always adjust in the Timeline. Dip to Black transition requires less frames than dissolves.

When shooting a scene I keep shooting a few seconds more for the transition later. If you stop shooting right a the moment you would want to end, then there isn't any extra frames. Some options I have used when I accidently stopped too soon: Freeze frame the end frame and use the still for the transition OR split the clip at the very end, say 5 or 10 frames, and slow the speed. It isn't ideal, but gets by.

Hopefully this is what you were referencing. :-D

Welcome to Muvipix! :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi John,

I don't know if you are a subscriber but I have a tutorial on transitions that my be very helpful for you, it is shown using version 7 but should still apply.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

For the cross dissolve there are a number of options available that may help you. The position of the transition is very important as well as the Alignment; End at Cut, Start at Cut, Center at Cut or Custom Start. These settings are available by looking at the transition properties, right click on the transition and select properties. Sliding the transition a little to the left or right, or making the transition longer or shorter will have a big impact on how it looks and what frames are shown and/or duplicated.

I will be updating the tutorial in the near future using version 14 :)

What Cheryl has stated above is also very important, let the camera roll a few seconds extra at the beginning and the end. That way you will always have enough footage for the transition to take place effectively. Adding a freeze frame of the last frame in the clip, as Cheryl brings up, is a good trick as well. When it comes to transitions it is necessary to have multiple options and resources available :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John Walker » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 am

Thanks Cheryl and Chuck

Your replies answer my query perfectly. :TU:

For many years I used Casablanca systems and there was never any need to allow for transitions. The only time a transition would be a problem was when a clip was too short overall coupled with a transition time that was too long so this was all new to me.

I now know what to do for the future when shooting.

Regards
John
[1] Sony RX100 M6 (PAL)
[2] Panasonic HC-X920 (PAL)
Software:
Elements 2018
Sonicfire Pro 6.0
Intel i5 3.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H
C: 500Gb SSD, 2 x 1Tb internal SATA drives, 3 x 2Tb Back Up Drives
16 Gb Ram
Radeon Pro WX3100
Based in Canterbury, UK
John Walker
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:40 am

Removing a few frames can also help, so your current footage is not necessarily a problem. Shortening the transition, re-positioning it, or cutting a few frames off of the clip should solve most problems.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14