They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Some questions

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Some questions

Postby sadddletree » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Obviously version 13 is glitching on me in the menus and now other areas as well - freezing at times, etc. But I have been told it is best to finish working on a project in the version in which you started so I have been struggling through with 13. Getting close to the end here, hopefully... So then I will have to upgrade to 15 to put a menu in since this one doesn't work.

Questions - if I install 15 on this computer what does that do to 13? Can I still choose to use either program or does it delete or change 13 in any way? (ie. Do I have to wait to get everything I want done in 13 before I go to 15?)

It has also been suggested that I uninstall 13 before I put in 15 to avoid whatever bugs and "corruption" that is happening with the files in 13 (see Constantly needing to render thread for background if needed) from being transferred to 15. Is this a good idea? Or, might that "corruption" be in the files themselves now and still cause problems in 15? Any guesses?

On another topic - what options are there in 15 to publish and share? Are there any in there that match the camera settings I have posted in the Constantly needing to render thread?

Follow up from that one - We want to publish this both for a DVD format and also so it can be streamed from the internet. What settings should I use for both of these applications? What should I use for the individual sections that I can import into one final product that I can put the menu on? (I know I have asked before but I am still struggling with this - sorry.) And are the options in 15 better for this?
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Some questions

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Lots of questions :)

Best to post each one separately rather than all together, it just gets too confusing.

You can edit your version 13 project in version 15, just be sure to make a copy of the ".prel" file for that project first and open the copy in version 15. That way if something happens you will have the original project file that you can open and edit in version 13 if necessary.

It should not be a problem installing version 15 and having version 13 on your machine too. I have at least 5 different versions on my PC (including versions 14, 15, 13, and 10 as well as Premiere Pro) and have no issues.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:01 pm

It's always difficult when someone asks several questions in one thread because you can give brief answers but it gets way too complicated to try to drill deep into any one answer without a lot of confusion. But, that said, here are the answers to your questions. If you'd like to go deeper into any one of the topics, I'd recommend you start a separate thread for it.

Installing another version of the program does nothing to the old install. You can have several versions of the program on the same computer and they'll all operate independently.

In fact. there's no reason to uninstall 13 after 15 is installed.

Version 15 has essentially the same output options as 13 -- however, the process of choosing an output is designed to be more intuitive.

For a video to show online, use Export & Share/Devices/Computer 1920x1080 in the MP4 format.

To create a DVD, use Export & Share/Disc DVD.

Using Premiere Elements' disc authoring system, you can create a DVD with a main feature and a bonus feature, using a stop marker to separate them. If you want to have several short videos on a single DVD, each with its own main menu link, you'll need to use a third-party disc authoring program.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Thanks for the answers. When I come up with more questions, I'll put them up separately... :)
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 13