They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where did it go?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Where did it go?

Postby sadddletree » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I am trying to burn a DVD. Burning directly gets it 98% and then it says the data ? isn't right for this disc. (Regular discs.) So I am trying to burn to a folder as per instructions from the book. It says it is done, but the folder I tried to put it in is empty. I did it twice. Where did it go or what am I doing wrong?\

Publish and share - Disc - Folder 4.7 GB - named the file, chose the folder - NTSC widescreen Dolby DVD and then hit burn.
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where did it go?

Postby sadddletree » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:16 pm

I tried the ISO option. It took less than a second to say it was done as well, but it also disappeared somewhere into the netherworld of the computer...
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sadddletree » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:40 pm

We have also tried to publish to computer
AVCHD - mp4-NTSC - DV widescreen then burned that to a disc. It looks terrible on the computer and, of course, can't be viewed on our TV.

This video is only 7 minutes long.

Project settings:
1920 x 1080
30fps Drop-frame timecode
20 20
10 10
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm

First, go to the program's preferences (under the Edit menu on a PC) and, on the General page, UNCHECK the option to use graphic acceleration. This feature only applies to Intel graphics and it can bug up other outputs.

If that doesn't fix it, make sure the folder you're saving your disc files or ISO to is empty. Sometimes the ISO or folder won't create in a directory folder that already has files in it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 pm

That worked!! So how are normal people supposed to know these things? I don't know how we could do this without your help.

Now - how do you burn a disc from a Folder?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:11 am

That's why we created Muvipix! For the stuff not covered in the regular documentation.

Here's our tutorial on how to burn a folder of file to a disc using ImgBurn.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 8&btn.y=10

Note that some aggressive antivirus programs are labeling ImgBurn as having malware potential. But, if you follow the installation instructions in the the tutorial, you'll have no problems.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:52 pm

Thanks!! It looks like what I have been working on will look OK on a TV, so now I can go ahead and work on the longer HD sections. I didn't want to do that until I was sure it was going to look OK.

Is there an easy way to test what the final product will look like in the Elements program?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:27 pm

When you say you want to "test what the final product will look l ike", what phase are you in?

You can certainly render and play the timeline -- but if you're reducing the resolution (say, you're outputting a DVD from a hi-def project) what you see playing the timeline won't look like finished DVD.

You can output your finished video and play it in VLC Media Player (my favorite media player). VLC Media Player will even play DVD and BluRay disc files, if you output your finished disc files to a folder on your drive.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:56 pm

This short one is almost done. Just have to add the promo for the longer ones on the end. But I was using this one to check out how the one hour video would look. Eventually we will put this short one up on Youtube as our promo to sell the longer ones.

The finished product when burned on a disc looked good. It is a high def video and it looks OK, at least on a small screen TV. But the resolution on the timeline isn't great (probably to do with setting somewhere to make it more manageable with less time lag). And when we made it into an mp4 file, it looked horrible - very pixilated, far worse than the timeline. Again, probably something to do with settings.
So if we were going to publish and share this video to play on a computer, what settings would you suggest in the publish and share tab?

Also, this is now a new Windows 10 computer and trying to look at anything on VLC brings up a whole screen with multiple videos we have not clicked on, and I can't find the one that I have just tried to open. Have they just "updated" too? (Note: "Update" is computerese for "lets see how many people we can confuse and make mad today!"
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:23 am

Re-download VLC Media Player. It will work on Windows 10.

I'm not sure why your output MP4 looked horrible. I guess it depends on what settings you selected for your output. You should get excellent results is you use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube HD option. You can play this video on your computer or upload it to YouTube with excellent results.

As for how your video looks on your timeline -- well, you're just looking at a preview there. It's not designed to be your final output. However, if you right-click on the Monitor panel and set your preview quality to the highest and then render your timeline, it should look virtually the same as your output. Have you done these things?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Going with the YouTube HD option, it looks good.

For something that will eventually be burned to a DVD, what settings would you suggest for this camera?

I found the Automatic and Highest options under Playback Options, but changing which is clicked seems to make no difference to the screen, and there is nothing to render. Might this be because our Timeline Render Quality is set to Draft?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:05 pm

If you're shooting 1920x1080 and you have your Premiere Elements Project Settings set up to match your video specs, you'll get the best results.

As long as you're shooting in 1920x1080, you won't see a lot of difference between the camera's high-quality and highest-quality settings.

And, yes, if you're looking to improve the look of your preview playback on the timeline, setting your render quality higher will help. But remember that this is only a preview. The settings you use for your preview render quality have absolutely nothing to do with your final output.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:18 pm

How can you tell what the project settings are and can you change them once you have worked on the video?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Your project settings are listed under the Edit menu. Look for Project Settings/General.

Your project settings are based on the first video clip you add to your timeline. They can be changed pretty much only be replaced the first clip on the Video 1 track.

However, the program sometimes has trouble decoding MOV files and often the only way to set your Project Settings for a project that uses MOV files is to do it manually -- and that you can only do when you first start your project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Thank you. Discs look good now. Menu isn't working, but I'll ask about that in another topic.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 13