They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Why does PRE 13 keep crashing either on startup or later

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Re: Why does PRE 13 keep crashing either on startup or later

Postby Judy Payne » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Chuck,
I have an Ispiron Model 5720. I have 6 GM of RAM and I think I was told I would only get ONE? more GB if I bought more RAM. The drivers are up to date and those DELL folks have gone over it a lot and it is very clean. A long time ago, you said you suspected the graphic adaptor. I don't know what that is, That is not the same as the graphic card or video card, correct? I have watched the task manager. I boot the computer without an internet connection, In the Task Manager I "End Task" on Malwarebites which is the only one my DELL buddies tell me I can turn off. I proceed to load PE13. I have never seen it go over 58% of the CPU--according to the Task Manager. When it freezes, I usually get a message that the program has quit and I will be told if a solution is found. Other times, it is just locked up tight. I have waited probably even an hour and it doesn't come back to life. I will say that it does seem to last longer if I go directly to the program and open it rather than using the Shortcut icon or, heaven forbid, go from the organizer (with something selected) to the editor by using the button at the bottom of the organizer. Oh, and it doesn't seem to matter about the size of the clip. I have been able to work quite awhile on a clip that is over an hour long, whereas I can put in a 30-second clip and have it crash quickly. FYI: I just finished listening to your entire 14 episodes of the MUVIPIX Tour. Very good. Thank you. I will be sending you my annual Premium Subscription shortly.
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Judy Payne wrote:Chuck,
I can find out all sorts of info about me system (as mentioned above) but I can't figure out how to find the model number of my Inspiron.

I'm not Chuck, but...
Have a look here:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN298441

And Welcome to Muvipix from me, too. \:D/
Peru

Postby Judy Payne » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 am

Chuck,
I have a DELL model 5720. I think I was told I would only get ONE? more GB if I bought more RAM. The drivers are up to date and those DELL folks have gone over it a lot and it is very clean. A long time ago, you said you suspected the graphic adaptor. I don't know what that is, That is not the same as the graphic card or video card, correct? I have watched the task manager. I boot the computer without an internet connection, In the Task Manager I "End Task" on Malwarebites which is the only one my DELL buddies tell me I can turn off. I proceed to load PE13. I have never seen it go over 58% of the CPU--according to the Task Manager. When it freezes, I usually get a message that the program has quit and I will be told if a solution is found. Other times, it is just locked up tight. I have waited probably even an hour and it doesn't come back to life. I will say that it does seem to last longer if I go directly to the program and open it rather than using the Shortcut icon or, heaven forbid, go from the organizer (with something selected) to the editor by using the button at the bottom of the organizer. Oh, and it doesn't seem to matter about the size of the clip. I have been able to work quite awhile on a clip that is over an hour long, whereas I can put in a 30-second clip and have it crash quickly. FYI: I just finished listening to your entire 14 episodes of the MUVIPIX Tour. Very good. Thank you. I will be sending you my annual Premium Subscription shortly.
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:41 am

Sorry Judy, been working in Miami the past 2 weeks sometimes takes me away from Muvipix. Over 120 hours in the past two weeks and I am worn out, but back home now.

It is really hard to say what the problem might be at this point but be sure to check the link that Peru Bob posted above, could be something there that will help. The other thing I would recommend is to install the trial version of Premiere Elements 14, just to see if the problem goes away with that version. Glad to have you as part of the community :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:The other thing I would recommend is to install the trial version of Premiere Elements 14, just to see if the problem goes away with that version.

Good call! :-D

Judy, you can install PrElv14 and it will appear in a different directory - in other words it can co-exist with PrElv13 without a problem.

Just a word of warning though. If you open a PrElv13 project in PrElv14 and save it from PrElv14 it is unlikely that you will be able to re-open that in PrElv13.

Backwards compatibility is not guaranteed. So better to either start a "test" project in v14 or make a copy of a v13 project and use that in v14.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Judy Payne » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:06 pm

First, the very helpful link that Peru sent to me was just to show me how to find out DELL Model number and it worked.
Second, when I had a DELL Vista, I had PE Version 7 and it worked beautifully. When I got this DELL Windows 8 (now 8.1), I bought PE Version 11 and it did exactly what this one is doing. The freezing issue is why I then bought PE 13 only to have exactly the same issue. (The Photoshop and Organizer work perfectly and PE still stinks.) I also had it reinstalled. Nada. Consequently, I am willing to try PE14, but I don't hold out much hope that things will improve. Sorry, I am usually a very positive person.
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:05 am

They have made many improvements in the software in version 14, it just might fix your problem :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Judy Payne » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:They have made many improvements in the software in version 14, it just might fix your problem :)

Ok, so on your advice, I am ready to try a trial version 14. So, I have been all over Adobe links and I cannot find a link to download a trial version of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements 14. Do you happen to have that link memorized and you could send it to me? ::wav::
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Peru

Postby Judy Payne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:51 am

I hope this is going back to Peru. Sorry I must not have sent my reply to Chuck properly. I thought I hit the Quote button on his comment to me--but it went to you. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Second, I did use your link above to download a trial of PE 14. I am ready to scream and cry! It freezes just as badly as Versions 11 and 13. I tried to load it about 8 times. I would reboot in between efforts. Sometimes I got a message that the program had quit the minute the Edit screen came up. Other times I was able to load a clip and mess with it awhile and then I got the dreaded message.My drivers are up to date. I shut off everything I can in the task manager. Do you have any words of advice and can you send this on to Chuck--if he won't see this?
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Judy, don't worry we all see everything posted :)

Sorry that version 14 didn't solve your problem :( Going to go back and re-read the first couple of posts to refresh my memory on your system setup, hardware and configuration. There has to be something on your system, hardware or driver, that Premiere Elements does not like. My guess is still something to do with your graphics card but could be related to audio or something else. Could also be bad RAM as most programs do not utilize as much RAM as Premiere Elements does. Due to the high RAM usage bad RAM will not often show issues with most programs but will become very evident when running Premiere Elements.

If some of the moderators, along with myself, could please review the first few comments in this topic and add anything that you think might have been missed :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:43 pm

Judy,

Do you use CCleaner or some other program as maintenance?
What antivirus do you use?
Do you have a defrag program or any other programs running in the background?
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:19 pm

This one is a bit of a long shot.

I can definitely empathise with your frustration on this one, Judy, but just one question. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed?

I have every confidence that the "muvipixers" will nail this one even though, so far, we haven't had a great deal of success. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Judy Payne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:39 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:This one is a bit of a long shot.

I can definitely empathise with your frustration on this one, Judy, but just one question. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed?

I have every confidence that the "muvipixers" will nail this one even though, so far, we haven't had a great deal of success. :(

Yes, I have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Thanks for the reassurance that there IS a solution.
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Judy Payne » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Peru wrote:Judy,

Do you use CCleaner or some other program as maintenance?
What antivirus do you use?
Do you have a defrag program or any other programs running in the background?

I have a maintenence contract with DELL and they have spend HOURS and HOURS with my computer. Everything is in tip top shape, clean as a whistle, everything is up to date. They are at a loss and I have had supervisors with 10 years of DELL and Windows experience working on my PC. Yes, I have CCleaner and Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I don't think defragging is going on in the background, but tell me what to look for in the task manager and I will End Task and try that. I turn off Malwarebytes and the internet connection.

Today, I thought it might be something to do with the Organizer so I disabledthat. PS14 trial version loaded much faster, but alas, it still gave me the message that it had stopped working. :conf:
Judy Payne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 13