They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

best source for recovering lost output

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

best source for recovering lost output

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:52 pm

A few months ago i lost my hard drive which contained several PRE12 projects. I wanted to upload my zipline video to vimeo - but the output files were gone. I had originally put it on youtube and was able to download the mp4 version from there. Is that good enough to upload to vimeo - (i know there are different presets for each site)?

ALTERNATIVELY...Before the crash i had burned avchd disks of many of my projects. i put the trip compilation disk in my computer and opened it - 3 avchd (m2ts) files (main menu, scene menu, and the actual video). i was surprised - thought it would look more like the contents of a regular DVD disk (lots of compressed files). I began a new PRE13 project using the full-length avchd (m2ts) clip saved from the disk and isolated just the zipline portion. I created a avchd file using the vimeo HD preset and, also, a new youtube HD preset avchd file. The output files are mp4 but each was much larger than the mp4 version i grabbed from youtube. I'm guessing that when it goes to youtube (and probably vimeo) my files get further compressed.

I'm guessing that the best recovery method for my missing output file is the avchd file from the disk, right?

I'm glad i discovered this because it looks like i can easily recreate my original avchd-quality projects by using the avchd file on the disks and i can burn additional disks as needed! Is that true?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks for any input!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: best source for recovering lost output

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 pm

When a file is uploaded to YT it is processed. The same way with Vimeo. But, on Vimeo if you have a Plus Account the original upload file is kept indefinitely. If you have a regular account the original file is available for 30 days. This may have changed since I last looked. For YT I do not know if they keep the original file. Probably not since it takes up space and you are uploading for free.

When you created the discs of your projects did you use Premiere Elements? Or did you copy the files in windows to create a Data DVD?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: best source for recovering lost output

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Cheryl! i checked youtube and looks like it only allows download of the mp4...good thing I have the avchd file from the burned disc!

I used Premiere Elements 12 when i burned the disc and did it as a avchd disc; not as a folder or image. With my new computer I'm using PRE13 and I also have Imgburn installed.

I'm using the avchd file from the original burned disc in a new project and created the avchd file with the vimeo preset for my upload.

Thanks for your help!

Looks like i have other problems now using PRE13 to burn a new avchd disc, but I'll probably post that in a new thread...
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 13