They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can I create a file folder in PrE 13?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Can I create a file folder in PrE 13?

Postby StevenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:22 pm

I have just exported 108 still photos from LR5 to a file in Finder. I then imported the 108 photos into the Project Assets in PrE 13. I realize I did not import the folder I made, just the 108 photos. Is there a way to create a folder in PrE 13, so I can "close up" the photos when I am not using them? They take up a lot of space when Project Assets is open. I know I can delete the photos and re-import with the folder, but that is a bit of a pain, and the photos, I think, may degrade slightly each time they are imported.
Thanks.
Steve
MacBook Pro. OSX Yosemite, Version 10.10.2. Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 8 GB. Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 512 MB.
StevenG

Re: Can I create a file folder in PrE 13?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:26 pm

Certainly, Steve. There are a couple of ways to do it, in fact.

The easiest way is just to right-click on an area in the Project Assets panel where there are no media clips and select the New Folder option -- then just drag the photos you want to add into that folder. You can even create sub-folders within folders.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Don't forget to rename the folder to make it more meaningful. Folders really help to organize the assets in your project. Once you have more than one folder, having an appropriate name really helps.

Photos don't degrade when you import them into a project no matter how many times you import them. Importing just adds a link to where the photo resides on your computer. The photo itself is not copied into the project file. When Premiere Elements needs to actually use the photo, it uses the link to load it from the location on your computer.
Bob

Postby StevenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Don't forget to rename the folder to make it more meaningful.

Steve Grisetti wrote:Importing just adds a link to where the photo resides on your computer. The photo itself is not copied into the project file. When Premiere Elements needs to actually use the photo, it uses the link to load it from the location on your computer.

Thanks guys. Really Helpful! :)
If I rename the folder, will PrE 13 be able to find it, or will the link be broken?
Steve
MacBook Pro. OSX Yosemite, Version 10.10.2. Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7. Memory 8 GB. Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 512 MB.
StevenG

Postby Peru » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 pm

If you mean the folder in the Project Assets Panel, you won't need to relink.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm

But, if you mean the folder on your computer's hard drive, renaming that will break the link.
Bob

Postby StevenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:38 pm

OK guys.
So, If I export photos from LR to Folder "A", which I will keep in Finder on my MacBook, then import Folder "A" into Project Assets in PRE 13, then rename Folder "A" to Folder "B", (IN PRE 13, NOT IN FINDER) and even create a few sub folders "c" and "d", (IN PRE 13) PRE will still locate the imported photos, which are in Folder "A", on my hard drive. So, when I next open my project in PRE 13, all of the photos I imported as Folder "A" will show up in the project assets, under Folder "B" and sub folders "c" and "d".
Is that correct? (If you can follow that convoluted thinking!).
Steve
StevenG

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:16 pm

That's correct.
Bob

Postby StevenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Super!
Thanks.
StevenG

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm

A little extra info:

The folders you create in Project Assets are logical folders that exist only in the project. They're not physical folders that exist on a drive somewhere. When you import a folder, you will get a logical folder of the same name and contents as the physical folder. But, it's still a logical folder and you can rename it and move the contents around without affecting the physical folder. PrE will store the actual physical location of assets in the project file so it can access them when needed. This gives you a lot of freedom to organize the project assets in a way that makes sense for the project. This is especially important for large/complex projects.
Bob

Postby StevenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks Bob. A very clear and comprehensive response, as usual.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
StevenG

Return to PRE Version 13