They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

elements 13: titles and scrolling

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

elements 13: titles and scrolling

Postby nub47t » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks for your time

I just dove into Premier elements. I'm stumped on rolling a couple of short paragraphs into my instructional video. I'm working with a capable Mac, and am familiar with Photoshop Elements.
White lettering on a black background.Rolling footage with spoken narration.Nothing exiting.
When I begin to edit everything slows to a crawl as far as PreE is concerned. A noticeable few seconds from keystroke to letter being displayed on screen kind of slow.

I have a hard time believing that the process is that demanding.

I've got to be missing something

Watched the Lynda.dot com video and the Grisetti title showed up today. That's how I founf you guys. Help
nub47t
New User
New User

Re: elements 13: titles and scrolling

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi nub47t, welcome to Muvipix :meet:

If you could supply us with your computer specs and as much detail about your project as possible that would be very helpful. Premiere Elements does take a bit of power to run and edit, depending on the type of video, how much video, how many effects, etc.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:26 am

Also, can you be more specific about what you're trying to do or even link us to a YouTube video that shows what you're trying to do?

Rolling means text coming from the bottom of the video frame and moving up. Crawling means text moving across the screen from left to right or right to left.

I'm not at all clear on what you mean by "Rolling footage with spoken narration.Nothing exiting."
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nub47t » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:46 pm

IMac 12.2
1 Intel Core i 5, 3.1 GHz
4 cores
4 gb memory

Links to instructional video we are now using

not allowed. too new

Same video is on the web, links at the bottom of the home page

I'm ratcheting up with about the same budget

Our product has changed, and my editing options moved up a notch since this happened. nothing i have on my current project is ready for any kind of public access. Maybe if I could post it here?

Basicly I did some reading (thanks Steve) and am squared away on the procedure, I think.

I hope I'm not dealing with a hardware issue
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby nub47t » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:48 pm

Left out the company name:

Magnolia Underdeck

leave out the space and and let the browser do the hard work
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:00 pm

I think I'm more confused than ever, nub.

Could you please write in complete sentences and explain exactly what it is you're trying to do and what you've tried to do it?

We can certainly help you if we know what your goal is.

Although it also sounds like you've got the issue under control. And, if so, we're glad we could help!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:23 pm

4GB of memory might be a little on the light side.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nub47t » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:10 am

Sorry for the confusion. My shorthand stinks.

Steve's reply asked for links to what I'm trying to do. I'm a new user so I can't post links directly.

If you enter MagnoliaUnderdecks dot com into your browser you will come to our home page where we have links to our video on YouTube toward the bottom of the page.

I'm trying to update this with about the same budget.

I'm following the instructions in chapter 12 in Steve's new book on PRE 13. on how to create a rolling title. (P 138 "Create a quick title")

Once I begin to edit the default title that appears after I enter TEXT > NEW TEXT , PRE13 slows to a crawl.

Chuck suggested that 4 Gigs of memory might be a little light, but "a little light" doesn't seem like a memory deficiency that would bog the program down to that extent.

Apple Care led me through the verify disk, verify permissions, repair permissions, and repair disk exercises using safe (?) mode (command R, I believe, and then I was directed to reboot again holding command, option, P, R, and doing the same verify and repair routines.)

I have a good narration track and have applied simple transitions with no problem. I haven't tried other functions. Manipulating the clips, as to length and ordering them, seems to be working as expected.

I hope I am clearer on the issue. I don't want to frustrate you guys. You are the most accessible resource I have. Adobe Help isn't much.

When I saw Steve's "Lynda.com" video in adobe's help, I figured you were the go to resource.

Thanks
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:16 pm

4 gigs of RAM on a quad core i5 iMac should be plenty of power for creating basic titles over video, nub. So you should definitely not be slowing to crawl when you just add some text. There must be something more in the mix.

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

And what project properties are listed for your Premiere Elements project (under the Edit menu)?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nub47t » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:52 pm

I shot this with a Nikon D7100 DSLR

I found "project settings" under the edit menu.

under "general"
1 Editing mode: DSLR
2 Timebase: 29.97 Frames per second

Under "Video"
3 Frame Size 1920 x 1080
4 Pixel aspect ratio: Square pixels
5 Fields: no fields
6 Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timeode

7 other items refer to title safe areas and audio

Camera records .mov at 1920 x 1080

Items 1 through 5 are greyed out. Only 6 & 7 are allowing choices. I also see options for capture and video render

Capture: QuickTime(qtKit) no other options on dropdown, bit it's live.
Video Render: Maximum bit depth: Unchecked. All other options greyed out. Optomize Stills-Checked
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm

When you place your video on your timeline in Expert view, is there a yellow line above the clips, along the top of the timeline?

(There will definitely be once you add your titles -- but how about when you just add the text to your timeline?)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nub47t » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for your time, Steve. I hope you enjoyed your weekend

I have no yellow line before adding the "text>New Text> default scroll" command.

When the default text shows up there is a thin orange or dull yellow line at the top of the "video 2" timeline that extends only as far as the 05:00 second mark on the time line.

I'm not sure how I can add text to my timeline without adding titles.

The problem starts when i try to edit the default text.

I opened PRE 13 to reply to this post and see what yellow line we had. I was able to delete the word "Text from the top of the scroll. That took about 20 seconds. The keystrokes pile up in some sort of buffer. and execute eventually.

When I resort to Force Quit, Finder indicates that PrE is still working.
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:44 am

I'm not sure what's going on, nub.

If, after you add your video to your timeline you are not seeing a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline until you add your titles, then your project is properly set up and you should not be having performance issues. Even with only 4 gig of RAM, you have plenty of horsepower for running this program. (I'm assuming you've also upgraded to Yosemite.)

If you'd like, you can post a segment of your video to Dropbox and share it with me by sending it to my first name at Muvipix dot com so I can try it on my Mac (which is similarly powered).

I'll see if I can duplicate the issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nub47t » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:06 am

Dropbox is new to me, I'll dive in and get back to you later today.

Thanks
nub47t
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 am

Off topic.

For file transfers there is also the 'Wetransfer' service. Files below 2GB transfer free of charge. The maximum file size to transfer is 10GB but that incurs a charge. I have used this service for sub 2GB files on many occasions.

https://www.wetransfer.com/

You have to trawl around the website a little before finding the free transfer service. Once the file is uploaded the recipient receives an email advising that the file is ready to download. Once downloaded the file sender receives a confirmatory email. Files not downloaded after seven days are automatically deleted.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 13