They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Missing Features in Titles & Transitions ?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Missing Features in Titles & Transitions ?

Postby Aeriallens » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:34 pm

I have searched EVERYWHERE(?) for the answers to the following questions - so please forgive me if these are .... well, DUMB.

When choosing a title template or creating text to show up on a timeline in Expert Mode, how do you make transitions on BOTH sides of the title?
Options seem only at the beginning, or at the end, or in the middle (middle makes sense to me between two clips but not within a title). I simply want to find the option to fade in then fade out, that's all. Yes, I see you can choose beginning, and then take steps to go find a dissolve to stick on the end.
Is there some way to create and save your own custom title template for future use in other projects under some kind of custom category? If that is not possible, how can I save a title design so it can be available for any project, without having to go through all the design steps over and over again? For example, I use location names at the beginning of lots of video tours, like a name in a particular script within a banner background that has a pleasing semi transparent gradient of color; I really do not want to recreate the whole basic thing for each project. Is that just the way it has to be?

Thanks for any help, suggestions or comments.

Phil
(Yep, I am a newbie - BUT at least I do have Steve Grisetti's great new book!)
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Re: Missing Features in Titles & Transitions ?

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:02 am

Welcome to Muvipix, Phil!

Re: #1

If you are simply looking to fade in and/or fade out the title, you would normally keyframe the opacity property. Premiere Elements makes this easy by including Fade In and Fade Out options in the Applied Effects panel. Select either or both as desired.

Re: #2

Premiere Elements can export a title as a file and you can load this title file in other projects and customize it.

Create the title you want to reuse.
Open the Project Assets panel.
Select the title you want to export.
From the main menu select File > Export > Title.
Specify the name and location and click Save.

To use the export title in another project:
Open the Project Assets panel and select Get Media From > Files And Folders.
Locate and select a title and click Open.
Place it on the timeline. Double click on it to open it in the Titler.
Bob

Postby Aeriallens » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:11 am

Thank you so very much, Bob! Actually, I went back over my questions and need to clarify my #1 ... a lot.

#1 - Being a newbie - but really working to educate myself - your first answer went way over my head, though it is no doubt the perfect solution. THANK YOU - I will definitely read-up on it right away. The question should have singled out adding text as the one that requires placing transitions at either the beginning or the end (but not both as an option; and I am still confused about the between option even being available - makes no sense to me).

Regarding the choice of actual presets for titles and transitions from the special tab (as opposed to just adding text of my own), it still amazes me that NONE of the 15 categories offer a simple title that simply fades in then fades out. I would love to be wrong about that - somebody please set me straight.

#2 - Regarding the second answer, THANK you again! It a genuine relief and time saver to see how saving a title for other projects can be done.

Phil
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:59 am

Hi, Phil.

With your #1 question, you may also want to be a bit more clear about the type of transitions you're trying to add.

If you're just adding fade ins and fade outs, you can always open your project in Quick view and right-click on the title. There you'll find the option to add fades ins and fade outs simultaneously to the title clip.

In Quick view, you can also add transitions to both ends of a clip (or title) just by dragging a transition onto each end.

In Expert view, you can also drag any transition from the Transitions panel onto either end of a clip. If you split the clip down the middle, you can add a transition to each end -- thus giving you a transition in and transition out.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aeriallens » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi, Steve - I am just talking about "dissolves" or smooth fades into transparency - nothing fancy at all.

I did not know that was available when switching over to Quick view; i will certainly give it a try. I still wonder why something so very basic (to me anyway) is not available on the Expert side without several steps involved. Hmmmm. Interesting what you stated above though, "If you split the clip down the middle, you can add a transition to each end -- thus giving you a transition in and transition out." If you are referring to splitting a Title asset, that seems strange but I will certainly try it. THANKS!

Enjoying your book by the way.

***EDIT***
Well, I just tried to split a title to see the recommended fade in and fade out work its magic, and the the program would have none of that; would not allow a split.

Grrrrrrrr! Now, I added a new standard title, "Welcome to 123 Main Street" and have the ADJUSTMENTS window open; On the ANIMATION tab > FADES, I've chosen "FadeInByLine" >Apply, followed by "FadeOutByLine" >Apply. And guess what - you can't have Both. You must have either a sudden appearance of your title OR a sudden dissappearance of your title when using the Adjustment method. Please feel free to laugh at my utter ignorance, but tell me exactly where I am going wrong.
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Aeriallens » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Getting there....slowly, but EDIT above is still true
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:04 pm

>Grrrrrrrr! Now, I added a new standard title, "Welcome to 123 Main Street" and have the ADJUSTMENTS window open; On the ANIMATION tab > FADES, I've chosen "FadeInByLine" >Apply, followed by "FadeOutByLine" >Apply. And guess what - you can't have Both. You must have either a sudden appearance of your title OR a sudden dissappearance of your title when using the Adjustment method. Please feel free to laugh at my utter ignorance, but tell me exactly where I am going wrong.

Don't confuse Text Animations with transitions. They are very different and behave very differently. And you can not apply more than one Text Animation to a title at once.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aeriallens » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Ha - Well I will get there eventually. Guess I need to slow down and pace the learning process.
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:29 am

Maybe we do need to work up some tutorials on titles in the current versions of the program, Aeriallens. We cover the basics in part 7 of our 8 part Basic Training tutorial series -- but we could certainly focus more on some of the specifics.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Aeriallens » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Many thanks!
Aeriallens
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:03 pm

That's what we're here for, Phil.

And thanks again for being a supporter of the book and our community!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 13