They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hit Film

Discuss this relatively new software that easily incorporates visual/special effects to your video projects.

Hit Film

Postby BuddyB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

I took advantage of the free download that was offered and haven't really played with it any at this point. What it appears capable of doing, even if it is only with Ultimate, is pretty amazing. Don't know how long they've been around, but they could very well be a comer in the video arena. Someone needs to give Adobe some competition! And I'm not angry with Adobe, just can't afford their stuff. :) Until some of our people here decide to join their Cloud I'm not. I can spring for the monthly but I'm not prone to.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Hit Film

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:26 pm

A lot of people are saying it's a real threat to After Effects, Buddy. Especially at half the price!

Even the Express version comes loaded with cool effects and presets!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 am

Steve you mention that Hit Film may be a threat to After Effects, or at least some claim that. Have you reviewed Hit Film? If so what are your thoughts? By the way, as far as the editing programs at less than one thousand dollars, which to you recommend?
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am

I'm developing a class on HitFilm for lynda.com now, so I'm digging pretty deeply into the program -- and I'm pretty impressed. Especially for $399!

After Effects is and remains the gold standard for production effects, and it does do some things virtually nobody else does. Its most recent version also comes bundled with Cinema 4D Lite, which gives you the option to create 3D objects as well as animate in 3D.

But HitFilm can do a lot of what After Effects can do at a fraction of the price. It also includes a huge library of preset effects (muzzle flashes for guns, debris, rocket flames and smoke, etc.) that are easily applied. I'm really looking forward to digging deeply into its potential.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am

I really enjoyed your PreEl12 tut on Lynda, and I'm glad to hear you are working on a Lynda tut for Hit Film. That might be enough to make me take the plunge on Hit Film.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 am

Wow! Thanks, Ron! That's quite a compliment!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 am

Thanks Steve, I really look forward to what you discover about Hit Film. I am looking to either up grade from my Movie Studio Platinum with the Pro version, or find something that will do a better job. The one thing I worry about if I change products, is having a steep learning curve. I have become mostly comfortable with Vegas, and now Movie Studio Platinum, but I want to have the tools to produce good video. I will be waiting anxiously to hear about Hit Film. After Effects sounds like an awesome program, but it also sounds like the learning curve may be steep, and the price a bit spendy.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 am

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "produce good video."

You can produce good video on Windows MovieMaker, if you've got some imagination. Likewise, you can use the professional version of Avid and produce stuff that looks worse than home movies.

So it's not the tool, it's the person who uses it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to HitFilm