They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Free GoPro CineForm codecs.

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Free GoPro CineForm codecs.

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 am

If you are a fan of the CineForm codec, you might be interested in this free software download from GoPro, who now owns the CineForm codec: http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-tutorials-support/

It's not their software that's of interest to me, but the CineForm codec that gets installed that I like. It becomes available to you in your video editing application. You can render with it from your video editing application as an AVI or as a MOV. Primarily it's used as an intermediate codec for high definition video and plays back very well on slower systems. It works very well with Sony Vegas software on my machine where GPU acceleration is utilized with the CineForm codec (but nothing else). I can play back 1280x720p 60 fps or 1920x1080p 30 fps on my Pentium 4, 3 GHz HT, Windows XP SP3. It smart renders when used as an AVI. It doesn't work as well with Premiere Elements 9. Avid Studio 1.1 doesn't recognize it. The disadvantage is it's uncompressed and produces very large files that take up a lot of disc space. I just delete and recreate the files as needed.

Some people have reported that they couldn't access that web site.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Free GoPro CineForm codecs.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:46 am

Thanks, Robert.

Any idea if this codec makes Premiere Elements more compatible with video from GoPro camcorders?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am

With Premiere Elements 9, with CineForm 1920x1080p 30 fps as source, I was able to edit clips using various transitions and effects and then burn a DVD. It all came out correctly.

I don't have GoPro video clips, so I don't know if those would cause problems in Premiere Elements, but if they did cause problems, then converting them to CineForm would be a way to go.

CineForm 1280x720p 60 fps didn't work out as well on my system in Premiere Elements 9. The 60 fps made previewing difficult. With 1920x1080p 30 fps I can scrub and the video can keep up.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:46 pm

A GoPro channel on Vimeo. Some interesting videos.

http://vimeo.com/channels/goprohd

Here is a good one:

http://vimeo.com/groups/goprohero/videos/23176283
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Paul LS » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm

I have been using this codec with my Kodak PlaySport camcorder videos, you need to rename them to .mp4... works well.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:35 am

Paul, Are you converting you PlaySport MOV AVC to MOV CineForm and then renaming the MOV CineForm to MP4?

I've been using Movavi Video Converter to batch convert my Kodak Playthings MOV/MP4 to CineForm in an AVI container. GoPro gives you the VFW AVI codec. I get better performace with the AVI container instead of the MOV container. I use PCM uncompressed audio.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:04 am

Hi Robert, I am using the GoPro Cineform Studio convertor to batch convert my clips. I am taking my native 1920x1080p PlaySport clips, which are .MOV and simply renaming them .mp4 and then importing them into the GoPro Cineform Studio convertor. It will not accept .MOV files.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:11 am

Instead of renaming mine, I just opened them up in other applications that can batch render. Right now I am trying out in Vegas with Vegasaur.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to GoPro Cameras