They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What do I need to use this camera?

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

What do I need to use this camera?

Postby videovillageidiot » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:44 pm

On something of a whim, I purchased this bundle...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-hero ... Id=6492217

These are the specs for my HP laptop:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Will I be able to use Premiere Elements on this device to edit anything I take with this camera?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: What do I need to use this camera?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:57 am

A GoPro Hero is never a bad idea.

You should have no problems editing in Premiere Elements as long as you shoot in 30 fps frame rate.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:02 pm

Congrats on the new camera. Enjoy!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:52 am

Just an FYI The oldest Premiere Elements that edits HEVC (H.265) footage is 2022.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:26 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:A GoPro Hero is never a bad idea.

You should have no problems editing in Premiere Elements as long as you shoot in 30 fps frame rate.

Thanks Steve! I haven't opened the box yet and keep wondering if I really need this camera. I took my GoPro 4 to Alaska 4 years ago and used it very little. Last year I didn't even bring it. I wonder if the features on the 10 are overkill for me - very high resolution, and the ability to shoot very high frame rates.

sidd finch wrote:Just an FYI The oldest Premiere Elements that edits HEVC (H.265) footage is 2022.
Sidd

Oh no! I don't even know anything about HEVC (H.265) - seriously, I should have done research but I needed to take advantage of some rewards $$$ that were about to expire. Is this the only format for the video or is there an option for an 'old fashioned' format? My GoPro 4 shot MP4. Truly I don't know anything about video these days. My current Premiere Elements is 2018, though I'd get a new version if necessary and if my computer can handle it.

momoffduty wrote:Congrats on the new camera. Enjoy!

Thanks Mom!

I'm trying to figure out what I'll actually shoot with it. I took my GoPro 4 to Alaska, but about all I shot was my walk from the trailhead to the Falls gate...footage was not very stable (I think the 10 is supposed to have great stabilization, so that will be a nice feature). No bear encounters in that clip and, of course, when I didn't take the GoPro last year, I had MANY bear encounters on the trails that would have been awesome if captured. The beauty of a GoPro is being able to attach it to myself, leaving my hands free to use bear spray if needed! I definitely would want to use the GoPro this time - just in case, though not as an action camera since one of the main rules you learn in 'Bear School' is "DO NOT RUN!!!!!"

So, if I can figure out how to use the camera and the software I will keep the 10 but I think the best thing would be to bring Steve, Mom and Sidd to Alaska with me - Sidd for his extensive experience with a GoPro, Mom for her ability to find interesting feet - I mean paw - shots, and Steve for his great storytelling ideas, because every bear has a story! https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/671923

But first, I need to quickly figure it all out - bears are coming out of hibernation and it won't be long now!

Thanks Steve, Mom and Sidd!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:34 am

videovillageidiot wrote:...Mom for her ability to find interesting feet - I mean paw - shots!

:hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:49 am

Oh no! I don't even know anything about HEVC (H.265) - seriously, I should have done research

I think you made a great choice on the camera and don't worry there are plenty of "regular" shooting options. Below is a link to the manual

https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero ... G_REVB.pdf

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:31 pm

" Mom for her ability to find interesting feet - I mean paw - shots"

Yes get some paw shots! :hyst:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:34 pm

I used my GoPro chest harness a few times for hand free shots when we went zip lining and canoeing. If you are going to put in the water then the little hand floaty wrist strap is good. I think that one I bought 3rd party.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:16 am

Mom for her ability to find interesting feet

The ultimate "Mom" shot:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AtZLZJ2xGR4?feature=share

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 pm

sidd finch wrote:
Oh no! I don't even know anything about HEVC (H.265) - seriously, I should have done research

I think you made a great choice on the camera and don't worry there are plenty of "regular" shooting options. Below is a link to the manual

https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero ... G_REVB.pdf

Sidd

Thanks Sidd! I haven't opened the box yet, so, if there is a manual inside, I haven't seen it. LOL

Now that I remember the first thing I need to do is update it, I'm less excited. I'm one of those people that wants it to be usable straight out of the box...I'm impatient. I just need to set aside time to get started with it.

momoffduty wrote:I used my GoPro chest harness a few times for hand free shots when we went zip lining and canoeing. If you are going to put in the water then the little hand floaty wrist strap is good. I think that one I bought 3rd party.

Mom, I remember the zipline video of your daughter - very nice. When I used mine for ziplining I had the camera on the helmet mount and my arm got in the way sometimes. Still, I think that's a great use for the camera.

I'm still scared of putting a camera in water, though my son used my old GoPro when they went snorkeling. He showed me the video and it was pretty cool. Maybe I could put it on the beach of Naknek Lake on an 'East Wind' day and capture the waves rushing in and crashing over it.

Staff is typically brought to Brooks Camp by NPS boat. It can be an incredibly bumpy ride so using the GoPro instead of my Canon video cam could create smoother footage. I'd love to use the GoPro on a Park plane and use the footage to make my "You Are Here" video more exciting.

Hmmmm...I may keep this camera after all. ;-)

sidd finch wrote:
Mom for her ability to find interesting feet

The ultimate "Mom" shot:

https://youtube.com/shorts/AtZLZJ2xGR4?feature=share

Sidd

Sidd!!! I saw your post yesterday, checked out that video and then got completely lost in the many many videos that followed. YouTube certainly knows my interests. I was presented a ton of bear encounter videos, as well as poor abandoned kittens. LOL
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to GoPro Cameras