They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

GoPro Editing Software

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

GoPro Editing Software

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 am

Hi, all. 100%, total newbie here.

Someone recommended that I use the Windows video editor to edit my GoPro footage.

The problem that I am encountering is that when I finish editing the footage, the video is not being shown in a 360 degree view. I have a GoPro Fusion 360 and the way that camera works is that the front lens and back lens footage is saved individually on two separate SD cards (front & back). I am trying to find a way to merge or stitch the footage together so, when viewed, you are able to see the video in a total 360 degree view.

I tried uploading the footage to YouTube to see if that would work, considering there are tons of 360 degree videos on there. The way the video runs is that it shows one view from one lens and then there's a hard cut to the other lens. I need both lenses (videos) to be stitched together, seamlessly, so it appears as one video. All the 360 videos I've seen on YouTube are shown in this manner and you have the ability to move the camera around so you can see everything. When viewed in a VR headset, you can simply move your head and see all 360 degrees. That is precisely what I am trying to accomplish.

GoPro has its software, called Fusion Studio, however, the program does not work on my computer. I even reached out to GoPro directly for help, but they weren't able to provide much assistance. Can anyone provide some support in this matter? I am desperately trying to make this work and am completely at my wits end!
trekker34
New User
New User

Re: GoPro Editing Software

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:53 pm

For editing and outputting 360 video, my favorite editor is CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate.

Here's how it works.

HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:13 pm

I appreciate the reply, Steve.

I tried to upload some test footage that I shot using my Fusion 360 (it's in mp4 format) but I keep getting multiple error messages. Something about the shadow file not being available, an issue with the contrast ratio, and a media source error. I have the two files I am trying to stitch right on my desktop.

The Fusion 360 GoPro has two memory cards (front and back). The camera saves video from each lens (front and back lens) to the two memory cards. Essentially, all I want to do is take both videos from the memory cards and stitch/merge them, so the video can be viewed in a 360 degree format, much like the example you show in the YouTube video.

Does the free version of the program do that? If so, I am having a real hard time figuring it out. Perhaps it's due to the error messages? I have tried multiple software programs and none, so far, have been able to do what I am attempting. There are hundreds and hundreds of 360 videos on YouTube, so I know it's possible. All I need is a very simple program and way to do it.

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide!
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:17 pm

Depending on the editing program you have to inject metadata to tell the file that its 360, then mark 360 on youtube. there is freeware out there to do it just not at my machine to tell you what I have used in the past. I have used davinci to edit 360 and it works well. but the metadata injector is not editing software.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:32 pm

"Inject meatdata." Oh boy! This is getting more and more complicated by the day. :ha:

I wonder if the Power Director software, that Steve referred to, can accomplish this? I truly appreciate the reply, Sidd. Any additional support you can provide would be immensely helpful.

Just a little background: I work at a middle school and we purchased two Fusion 360 camera for our students to use. So far, however, we haven't been able to use them because of the problems I am having with finding a program that can seamlessly stitch two video files together to make it a full 360 video. I had no idea that injecting metadata was a thing. I am a total newbie at this and naively thought it was going to be super simple. How wrong I was/am. The students and staff really want to be able to use these cameras but until I can find simple software that I can use in order to produce and edit the videos, I'm afraid we're completely stuck.
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:56 pm

I was able to download the Spatial Media Metadata Injector and injected the metadata to the videos. I then went back into DaVinci Resolve and put both videos onto my timeline. Now.....what do I do??
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:58 pm

DaVinci Resolve also looks to be way more sophisticated and advanced that what my needs are. Can you recommend a simpler program?
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Not sure if it will work but you might try the free insta360 studio app although I am not sure if it will read the go pro app.

Have you tried editing on the GoPro Quick app (also free). I think Fusion was discontinued.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:52 pm

I downloaded the Quik program for my desktop computer, however, the program can't find my camera when it's plugged in. When I try to add media from the folder, no video files appear. Arggghhhh I am absolutely at my wits end!!! ](*,)
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:29 pm

This is where I'm at with the PowerDirector program. I think all I need to do is stitch the videos together. How is the question.....???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:42 pm

Update: Moved both videos to timeline but now getting an error message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:10 pm

Have you watched my two-part tutorial I linked you to above?

I'm not sure why you have two separate videos. A 360 video should have both sides of the video in the same clip, as I show you in my tutorial.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi, Steve.

There are two seperate videos because the Fusion 360 shoots two videos at once and saves each video from each lens onto two different SD cards. One video, two lenses (front and back) onto two memory cards. Hope that makes sense.

I don't think the camera is able to save both lens captures onto a single memory card.

I did watch the video, however, I am still having trouble. Getting this new error message, which I shared on the screenshot above.

Seems like the fact that the camera splits up one video onto two memory cards is causing an issue. Do all 360 cameras do this or just the one we bought?? Maybe we should have bought a different kind...?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
trekker34
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:38 pm

Steve Trekker is correct. The GoPro records two separate files one for each camera. then does a stitching in post. Per GoPro:

It's called chaptering, and the idea is that if one chapter gets corrupted the others should still be okay because they're separate files. So you'll lose one egg instead of the whole basket of them. ... That's to maintain file system compatibility. The newer models of GoPro use chapters of a maximum size of 4GB.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby trekker34 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:54 pm

I may need to do more research but from what I saw on another camera, the Insta360 One X2, for instance, it only uses a single memory card. That may be what I need to do.

Truthfully, I had no idea the GoPros used two nor did I think it would have been a problem. The two GoPros we have are practically brand new and I may look to see if we can sell them and purchase a different camera, like the Insta360. It may be simpler to use and a better choice for us.

However, if there *is* a way for us to use the GoPros and do what we want with them, that'd be best. I'm just not sure there is.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
trekker34
New User
New User

Next

Return to GoPro Cameras