They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DJI releases the tiny 4K Osmo Pocket camera

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

DJI releases the tiny 4K Osmo Pocket camera

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Wow pretty small form factor and $50 less than the GoPro 7.

The DJI Osmo Pocket’s camera has a 1/2.3- inch sensor that’s capable of shooting 4K video at up to 60 fps. As for shooting stills, the camera is said to shoot 12-megapixel pictures at 100 Mbps. The camera is attached to a three-axis gimbal and can last through up to two hours of 4K shooting — however you will have to shoot at a frame rate of 30 fps. DJI’s Osmo Pocket shoots 12-megapixel pictures at 100 Mbps On its back, there’s a one-inch touchscreen that controls that camera and monitors the live feed. Additionally, the stabilizer has smartphone support with a new app called DJI Mimo. Plus, there are dual microphones for recording audio.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: DJI releases the tiny 4K Osmo Pocket camera

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:10 pm

That almost seems too good to be true. :)
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:59 am

I agree Bob.

From what I have read, the pocket is designed to compete with the GoPro 7. Both have the same chip but each camera has a few tweaks to make life interesting. The 3 axis gimbal is a pretty cool idea and I like that it can do timelapse pans. The GoPro seems to have pretty radical electronic image stabilization but I have read that low light is a shortcoming for the EIS on the GoPro. Also the underwater approach to having a case vs ready to go in the water.

Looking forward to seeing more actual user reviews.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:25 pm

That is very nice, although someone on Amazon asked if it was waterproof, and the answer from the seller was no, that there will be a waterproof case available in the near future.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:30 pm

In one of the promo clips DJI shows the camera underwater with a case on it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Saw this the other day. What Peru said!
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Well I guess every miracle gadget always has a few warts....

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:47 pm

I don't like the fact that the control wheel is another $59.00. Some of the accessories I saw on DJI's website are kind of $$. You could easily spend another $200 to get the basic stuff.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm

On the Plus side I like that it can do Panoramic time lapses and the the FOV does not have that fish-eye look. On the downside I do not like the audio quality and the fact that there is no connector for a stand because the mic input is on the bottom of the unit. From what I have seen online I think that the GoPro 7 has better color.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:39 pm

Been looking at this for the last couple of weeks and this is what I think. If you are a true extreme sports enthusiasts, then the GoPro is for you. But if you are filming almost anything else, then the Osmo looks like it is the better choice. So I asked Santa to bring me an Osmo. I can't remember the last time I was slicing the side of the mountain or hangin' ten on a monster wave....

I will let you guys know more of my experience as I get restarted in my favorite hobby.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:33 am

VernonRobinson wrote: So I asked Santa to bring me an Osmo.

Have you been that good? :-D
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:15 am

Have you been that good?

Not about being good, he just really needs the stability in life. :hyst:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 am

I am not so deserving, but I am married to a Saint. :exc:

I did get the Osmo for Christmas. I took a quick look at it and it is a great piece of tech. I have not spent a lot of time with it yet since I got that nasty cold a lot of people have gotten. It is exciting. All of the reviews have some truth to them. But here is my rationalization for asking for the Osmo. Anything that helps you capture content is a good thing. And the best camera to have (GoPro/Osmo/Etc) is the one that you have with you. Anything that will encourage you to capture content is a plus. My current real concern for me is that the Osmo is extremely tiny, so I have to adjust how I hold it etc. Using the controls the first time made my hand start to cramp. I think I was holding on too hard. It is a little disappointing that they give you a wrist strap but it attaches to the removable case and not to the actual camera itself. Kind of misses the point. Protect the camera first. The cost of all of the add-ons is a concern, along with current availability. But my initial 5 minute impression is that the base camera is actually pretty good. I am working on editing a project for the family right now. So I have a lot to learn/relearn. But I will post some "cat videos" soon. I promise.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts about the camera once you have used it for a while. Your note about hand cramp makes sense as this stuff gets smaller and smaller and you have to figur out a way to hold it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby mrgrtt123 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:07 pm

Portability wise this camera got it. It looks so promising that I feel like I will need it whenever I travel or go for a hike. For those who owns one now, would care to share your thoughts about this pocket cam?
mrgrtt123
New User
New User

Return to GoPro Cameras