They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Reading the Tea Leaves - Action Cameras

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Reading the Tea Leaves - Action Cameras

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:12 am

So you are finally getting your head around 4K and you might be wondering what the next generation of sports camera might look like? The best place to look is In the company who makes them: Ambarella. They had a press release and it looks like it could be a pretty cool new system-on-chips the H2 and H12. For high-end camera models with 4K Ultra HD H.265/HEVC video at 60 frames per second and 4K AVC video at 120 frames per second.WOW

Ambarella H2 delivers 4K Ultra HD at 60 frames per second with under 2 Watts of power consumption

SANTA CLARA, Calif., January 6, 2015 -- Ambarella, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMBA), a leading developer of low-power, HD and Ultra HD video processing semiconductors, today introduced the H2 and H12 camera System-on-Chips (SoC) for a new generation of sports and flying cameras. H2 targets high-end camera models with 4K Ultra HD H.265/HEVC video at 60 frames per second and 4K AVC video at 120 frames per second. These high frame rates deliver smooth video during fast action shots and slow motion playback. H2 also includes 10-bit High Dynamic Range (HDR) video processing to handle high contrast scenes and supports DSLR quality photography. H12 targets mainstream cameras and offers 4K Ultra HD HEVC video at 30 frames per second. Both SoCs have extremely low power consumption allowing for the design of small form factor cameras, and feature advanced 3D electronic image stabilization, potentially eliminating the need for mechanical gimbals.

http://www.ambarella.com/news/91/122/Am ... ng-Cameras

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Reading the Tea Leaves - Action Cameras

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 pm

That's very interesting and good news. They were a little bit skimpy on prices so I suspect it may be vaporware for now.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 pm

4k at 120 IS wow!
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:24 am

I am wondering what challenges await trying to edit 4K Ultra HD H.265/HEVC video.

From Wkipedia: High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is a video compression standard, one of several potential successors to the widely used AVC (H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10). In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers about double the data compression ratio at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate. It supports resolutions up to 8192×4320, including 8K UHD.

Of course this means that if the format becomes the "norm" and unless Premiere Elements includes this codec....... The only place in Adobe town is the Adobe CC for Premiere.

One the most significant new features in Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 is the expanded native support for 4K Ultra HD & HDR formats to include Avid DNxHR, HEVC (H.265), Dolby Vision, and OpenEXR.

I guess I will just stick with my Hi-8 camcorder and windows XP... :hyst:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Cameras