They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Convert GoPro files

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Convert GoPro files

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I have 7 GoPro files shot in 4k. Bridge & PrPro only show audio. What is the best & easiest way to convert these files to 1080p for editing in PrPro? I played a little with GoPro Studio and it appears I have to convert first to Cineform, can skip the edit section and then export to 1080p. This seems like the long way. Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Convert GoPro files

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Mom, no need to convert. You can import them directly into PPRO and edit in 4k then output to 1080P. You can either create a custom 4k setting or you can create a new 1080p project. When you place the 4k footage on the timeline PPRO will ask if you want to change the settings to match the source. Just say yes.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 am

PrPro does not recognize the video of the file. It only sees the audio. So I need to convert to 1080p first before editing. What is the best way to convert?

EDIT: I found this article and link to a converter:
http://video-editors-studio.over-blog.c ... e-pro.html
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:36 am

Mom I forgot what version of PPRO you are using. In PPRO 6 it asks.

To convert in GoPro Studion Import the videos you want to convert. Select the directory you want to save them to (change directory link located bottom center of screen). Hightlight all the clips in the inport new files bin (left side of screen) With the clips highlighted click "add clip to conversion list" (located at lower center of screen in blue box). Then click conversion details and select the output AVI resolution you desire. Then click convert all.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for the screen shot. I have GoPro Studio and not Cineform Studio. This is what I have done:

Import Clip
Convert to 1080p - this creates my renamed clip - this new file is still audio only recognized in PrPro
Export the converted 1080p clip - renamed version 2 - this file will work in PrPro

I tried to skip the conversion stage and can not go to the Export window. Will the quality diminish editing on a copy of a copy? Looking for a faster one step method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Mom,

I create a separate folder for the converted files so I do not have to re-name them. This is in the "change directory".

1) Import clip
2) Advanced settings --> select 1080P file format = AVI click "ok"
3) add clip to conversion list
4) click convert

Resulting file will be avi.

Per the GoPro website:
Ultimately, GoPro CineForm files are better for editing than camera source files. They improve on image quality and playback speed, as well as provide the Active MetadataTM architecture required to enable the real‐time image development and enhancement features available in GoPro Studio’s EDIT Room.

http://gopro.com/support/cineform-studio-software-support/search?options%5Bfilters%5D%5B0%5D%5Bfilter%5D=published&options%5Bfilters%5D%5B0%5D%5Bfilter_type%5D=status&options%5Bfilters%5D%5B1%5D%5Bfilter%5D=supportcineformstudiosoftwaresupport&options%5Bfilters%5D%5B1%5D%5Bfilter_type%5D=support_category&options%5Bpage%5D=2&options%5Bper_page%5D=15&options%5Bsimple_search%5D=true&originating_category_page=GoPro+Studio+2.0&page=1&search%5Btitle%5D=waiting+to+convert&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:58 pm

WAIT....

Is this Hero 3+ 4k or Hero4 4k...... hummmmm :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:13 pm

I have a Black 3+. I was converting to a .mov then the 2nd conversion to .mp4 I see now that I should select avi the first time. Makes since that the files are highly compressed and to decompress them for editing: more I frames and less B & P frames.

I'll try it out. Thanks for your help!

I prefer to rename my files. I am a little afraid to have the same names on different files. I've been renaming my Raw & Jpeg files from the camera too.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Vacation trip hop here we come.... :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 pm

It worked! It Worked!! Thanks Sidd. Guess I was overthinking again. :exc:

sidd finch wrote:Vacation trip hop here we come.... :)

Sidd

Now to find time to edit. And off in search for some Latin, steel drum, trip hop. :-8
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:35 pm

Well I for one am excited to see your next opus.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Cameras