They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Windshield mount

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Re: Windshield mount

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 15, 2015 11:01 am

Some interesting possibilities there, Paz!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Windshield mount

Postby _Paz_ » Sat May 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Yeah. Looks pretty good. With a tether on the camera I'd feel safe using it on a car window.

Gecko offers two cases, their Macro and I think, the Mini. The mini is really tiny, the one shown with the belt video.

At first I thought their macro case would be set up to hold macro lenses and the additional light fixture they show, which would help get better macro video. But I don't see from their pictures anything that looks like a way to add lens filters. Now I'm wondering if the name designation is because their macro is simply larger than their mini.

Gecko also offers two ACME threaded tips for a broom handle or painters' extension pole. One holds the traditional GoPro mount, the other, their Macro case.

I already have a quick snap-lock painters' extension pole and a standard ACME to 1/4 20 thread adapter that can be used with a small ball head and attached to my regular 1/4 20 threaded camcorders or adapted to use with the GoPro. There is a possibility the cardinals have another nest high in the magnolia tree. If I can find it, I'll be trying to get some footage of babies from above. Even if it takes an extension pole and a ladder!

They don't say if the magnets are stronger on either of the two cases. It looks like the camera would be safer in the Macro, if only because a stranger in the crowd couldn't pluck the camera and be on their way...but they don't show the back side of the case or how the camera is held in place so it won't fall out the back. I can't tell for certain whether the camera clicks in place on the mini or if the magnets hold the camera in the case.

I haven't found any reviews. I'd love to be able to talk to someone who has used them.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to GoPro Cameras