They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Honey Bee

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Honey Bee

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Finally is appears that winter is moving on and spring is on its way.... I saw a Honey Bee looking for pollen and quite busy too :)

Shot at 1080P 120 fps with a macro lens 25mm to 62mm.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Honey Bee

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:53 am

That's just pretty darned incredible! Right down to the pollen sacs and the wing veins. You must have a lot of patience. Well done. ::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:39 am

Another masterpiece. :tup:
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 am

:kermit:

GREEN with admiring envy, Sidd. That's beautiful!!! EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to do!

Would you please post a pic of your setup, settings and such? Pretty please? :)
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Thank you for the kind words.

I used a 25mm to 62mm adaptor rings and mounted the lens ring directly to the barrel of the camera. I used a 62mm .45x wide angle lens that had a macro lens included. I just removed the wide angle portion of the lens and used the macro lens. The camera was set to 1080p narrow at 125fps and slowed down to 25%. I connected the camera to a Lilliput external monitor via a micro HDMI cable. I screwed the monitor to a piece of wood and put a strap on the wood so I could hang the monitor around my neck while holding the camera. Since it was a pretty sunny day there was no color correction or color balance.

The hardest part was trying to hold the camera steady so I could keep the shot in focus. The bees were indeed very busy and did not stay in one place too log. There was also a visit from a carpenter bee and a hornet that did not make the cut

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks, Sidd!

So, you used a macro only. Would something like this be similar? I already have step up rings to either 52 or 58. Do you think either of those sizes would be wide enough to avoid the tube effect?

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Professional-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002EAESL6

For my Cyclamen I used this lens. The macro is built in, I think. I'll look at it again and see if it can be separated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I0V3LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Paz, I used this lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Concepts- ... angle+lens

It was not on sale when I purchased it. :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Fascinating macro filming! Good to know that Spring is somewhere. Hornets are mean! What was your distance from camera to bee?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Approx 4 inches.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Beautiful color and great detail! The quality those cameras can produce is amazing. And your patience and dedication is clearly evident in the quality of the production.

Next time, get someone to take a BTS picture of you working the scene! :-D
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks Ron. There is a huge improvement in color to me. I am also using a bigger diameter macro lens which I think helps too.

Next time, get someone to take a BTS picture of you working the scene!

It is funny that you mention that. I think I must look very strange with a little camera in one hand and what looks like I am waving to the tree. My neighbors probably think I am a bit daft. ....... the tree whisperer. :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 am

Next time, get someone to take a BTS picture of you working the scene!

I'll vote for that!

I checked my lens. It wasn't easy, but the macro portion does come off. I tested briefly yesterday afternoon and there is no tunnel effect with macro only. It is 37mm. I have step up rings to go to larger size closeup rings.

Can't wait for SPRING and a pleasant day to try it out. I've been trying to vacuum the gunk out of the fish pool. Yesterday I noticed one of my originals has ick. Today we'll be cleaning a 'hospital' aquarium, draining the pool, and catching them. What fun. Not. One of my hip waders has developed a leak. Get into the pool and within an instant, I have icy cold water knee + deep. The pump doesn't sound good and another 1000 gallons has to go before I can catch them. Not much play in store for me today. Nothing in bloom anyway.

What are the flowers in your film, Sidd? Are those almond blossoms? I've heard California is famous for them.

Your carpenter bee and hornet came out well too, at least in these stills. Definitely a painterly subject, even if you don't have good movement of them. Sometimes I think I ought to give up video and just hire your vision to be my artistic inspiration, lol. This is really beautiful and well done... and I know what you mean about holding steady. With a focus point about 1/2 to 1/4 inch deep there isn't much room to breathe.

BTW, Sidd, did you get a new GoPro camera?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:45 am

Loved the music choice Sidd. That could be used in any school classroom, reminded me of some of the films they used to show us in science. This one is a lot better quality than what they use to show in class on the noisy old projectors. I always wanted to be one of those kids that got to wheel the projector into class ...
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Paz & Chuck.

Yes it is the GPH4B and so far it has been a lot of fun. I have used 37mm macro lenses and they do just as nice a job. The blossoms are from our Lemon tree (Meyer Lemon) and they are very aromatic when they bloom. Hope your fish get better and you can patch your waders... :)

The other bees flew away before I could capture much video. The carpenter bee might get a couple of seconds but that's about all. I bet using your brushless gimbal would really smooth things out..

The music is by Bedřich Smetana - The Bartered Bride. Used in a lot of old cartoons.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Sidd! Congrats! :yh: What's the difference in the 4 and the 4B?

Were you able to see the live view with your field monitor on the faster frame rates? I did some checking today and could not see the live view at any 1080p speed faster than 60 with my field monitor. Yesterday I did a little with the smart phone and I think I could see the live preview at 90fps. I should have written it down. I'm really disappointed.

All the fish are inside and appear to be happy about it. They always eat like pigs and moving didn't slow them down, anyway. I left a bull frog out in the sludge. He'll have to find a new home when I shovel it out. We usually take bullfrogs and tadpoles down to a creek about four miles down the road - and down toward the river too. They'd have to work hard to swim back upstream to our back yard. We're going to look for a tire patch for the waders. Silicone caulk didn't hold. Finally figured out the pump was gurgling because the filter system had air in it. The filter is made of a pickup truck type tool chest with holes for hoses to go in on the low side, out on the high side and through a system of baffles to catch gunk. Looks like I need to figure out something better. Anyway, I got the entire pump assembly out and made a new basket to keep gunk out of the filter and drained the pool to about 10 inches deep before I got in today. I wore wellies instead! Much better. It is supposed to start raining tomorrow with a low of 30F, 27 the next night, then 21F. So glad I got them all in. I pruned my roses about 10 days ago when the day temps were in the 70s. Now we've had freezing weather and the new growth has shriveled from the cold. I HATE a lying groundhog! ;)

I have smelled lemon blossoms. Heavenly. Once when we were out in California we went to a lake that had lots for sale around it and the fragrance of lemon blossoms was wafting through the air. If the lot hadn't cost about 4 fortunes, I'd have been ready to move that minute. I'd love to live somewhere where it never freezes.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to GoPro Cameras