They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Protune

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Protune

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:19 pm

As I understand it, shooting in ProTune mode on a GoPro camera should provide video that has less contrast, producing what looks like a dull, uninteresting image, that actually has more digital information in both the lightest and darkest areas... that can be manipulated in editing, making it possible to lighten darks, darken lights, and pull more detail out of both areas.

I came across a page that provides the author's opinions on the best ways to set up ProTune, and I've set my GP4 up following these suggestions. I'm using Auto white balance for now. Later I want to compare it to Native. It will be fun experimenting!

http://gopro.com/support/articles/advanced-protune-controls-explained
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Protune

Postby Kent Frost » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Yep, very cool. This is where that color grading thing really starts coming in to play. Colorists love color modes like Protune for that exact reason. It should also help a bit with low-light situations. Although, I understand the 4 handles darkness lots better than previous models.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Re: Protune

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks for the article Paz very informative.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Cameras