They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Phone-Tablet? Does time count against phone minutes?

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:40 pm

After considerable searching I have not found a way to download the GoPro app to my laptop. I think the problem is the GP app is written either for i (apple) or android operating systems, not Windows.

I did find a way to link into Windows, but I think that only offers the ability to look at files - not have control of the camera or Live View.

Tablet under consideration: Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 7", about $200. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D2KJDXA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Tablet Qs:

It looks like tablets come with either 16, 32, 64 GB space. The only port is a usb 2.

Q - Would it be possible to connect, say a 64 GB CF card into a card reader and then see those files on the tablet?

If I could add some of my working photos to a tablet, would I be able to zoom into the image the way I can with my laptop and Photoshop? If so, that could take some stress off my laptop.

Q - Once a tablet's battery has been charged as many times as it will take a charge, is it possible to replace the battery?

==================================

Smart Phone Qs:

Phone currently under consideration: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PWEN2ZE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUEOHHAEXZDCI

This one can work with the Tracfone account I've had for years. I can keep my number and transfer the minutes I already have.

Q - Does using the GoPro app with a smart phone count against the phone's minutes?

Q - Are smart phone batteries generally replaceable? (If this info is available in the specs, I haven't found it.)

There are cases for the Moto e that are waterproof up to 20 feet, and it is possible they float. We seldom sail in water deeper than that. Our boat sits in 10 feet of water at the dock where phones, keys, dogs, etc, are most often dropped.

One waterproof case has a wrist strap attachment. If that would work, I wouldn't need to buy the Removu wrist strap GoPro viewer. Or build a joy stick setup to control the FunnyGo 3 axis stabilizer either. That could work on either Android tablet or phone too.

Are tablets and/or phones vulnerable to viruses?

I'm leaning towards the phone since it would be less expensive overall - UNLESS the app Live View time counts against minutes.

Anyone know?

thanks,

P
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Found an HDMI to micro HDMI cable last night and learned the 7" Lilliput monitor I already have works with the GoPro! Indicates whether filming or not, GP battery strength. The Live View fills the screen. It's easy to see if the subject is in focus or not. The GP can focus within 2 - 3 inches!!!

I'll still need either a phone or tablet for outdoor shots. And wireless communication will be much better than working around a 15 foot cable.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Phone-Tablet? Does time count against phone minutes?

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 pm

I would only use a smart phone or tablet as a "wireless monitor" to frame shots and do a quick review. The GP files are pretty big and will quickly fill a tablet or smart phone.

Q - Would it be possible to connect, say a 64 GB CF card into a card reader and then see those files on the tablet?
A: That is dependent on the tablets that have an external card reader. Depending on the GP resolution you shoot in the camera will create an additional LRV (lo.w resolution video) file that can be used to view on a smart phone or tablet

Q - Once a tablet's battery has been charged as many times as it will take a charge, is it possible to replace the battery?
A: For the most part yes batteries can be replaced but you will need to take it to a place like "Batteries Plus" that will do this kind of work. Typically most smart phones and tablets do not have a user serviceable battery. There are exceptions.

Q - Does using the GoPro app with a smart phone count against the phone's minutes?
A: No you are just using the smartphone to receive the wifi signal the GP is broadcasting.

Q - Are smart phone batteries generally replaceable? (If this info is available in the specs, I haven't found it.)
A: Generally speaking no.

A: it is a good idea to have a waterproof case for your smart phone when dealing with water.

Q: Are tablets and/or phones vulnerable to viruses?
A: The Apple family is more resilient to virus's because it is such a closed loop system that Apple controls from start to finish but it can happen. Androids are more susceptible but any device can get a virus.

Personally I lean more towards the smartphone. Because after I check my shot I can put it in my pocket and get on with filming. A tablet is not that discrete and makes it more complicated to carry etc.

I think that the Pilot Fly FunnyGo does have the ability to mount your smartphone on the handle so you can see what you are recording.

When I am recording my macro videos, I also use the 7" Lilliput monitor with HDMI and it works out very well. I created a DIY mount for the monitor so I can put it around my neck and have an HDMI cable attached to the GP for recording.

Just be aware that your battery drains pretty quick when you use the wifi.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Just to add:

Don't count on the Kindle Fire to run the GroPro App. Amazon has its own app store for the Kindle and the GoPro App is not available there. You won't be able to get the app from the Google Play store for use on the Kindle either. There is a GoPro control/preview app in the Amazon app store, but it isn't free and it doesn't have good reviews.

Viruses aren't much of an issue on either the Apple or Android platforms at this time. Both are based on a Unix derived kernel and fairly comparable in terms of virus exposure. It's possible to write a virus that will affect them, but it's much more difficult than a desktop OS like Windows and takes a lot more effort to do so. On the other hand, malicious apps are common for both. Because of the way the architecture is designed to handle apps, it's much easier to write an app that can access information on the tablet or phone and transmit it to the bad guys -- think contacts, browsing history, account numbers and passwords, etc.. On a phone, they can even call numbers that can charge back fees. You generally need to OK permission for the app to access certain features and information, but many people just blindly say ok. You need to watch what permissions are being asked for and consider whether that is appropriate for the type of app you are installing. The app stores try to weed out these malicious apps, but the bad guys are pretty good at hiding things inside legitimate looking apps. Be careful of what you install.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:46 am

I have heard it said that the gopro "live view" is a web interface and as such it is possible to view it from a PC using a web browser and a little bit of fiddling.
For example :
http://www.wikihow.com/Stream-Your-GoPr ... dia-Player

But I haven't actually done this....
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Sidd,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions! I'm afraid I've always been bad about asking too many. Even my Daddy would get exasperated with me every once in a while! :fg:

Chris,

>> Live view interface with PC

My problem is that I cannot cannot give my GoPro a name or a pairing number, because I don't have the app to add the name and number into and I cannot download the app because I don't have an Android device. After I do have a device, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Bob,

I did find that Kindle app. I agree, the reviews aren't too good. I've decided on the phone in any case. I'm trying the Motorola because while Mr. B was working he had various cell phones associated with his job. The Motorola was the only one he could really hear. It's been a while, but when we first got our current cell phone, he could hear it, but not other brands. He may or may not be able to hear this one - but these days he can't hear the phone in the house well enough to carry on a conversation so I do the translating (shouting) for him. He was in a motorcycle wreck when he was a teen, broke his head and eardrum, was in a coma for a while, lost a year of school while he learned to walk again. Overall, the hearing loss has been the worst of it in the long term. It seems to be quickly getting worse and I can't convince him to see a doctor about it. I've given up trying.

Once I learned I could get a cheap phone and keep my cheap payment plan, I'm OK with changing my phone. Since the new one will have triple instead of double minutes, in the long run it will be even more economical. And the phone costs less than the wrist watch Removu View Screen, which is only splash resistant, not water proof. If say, a canoe should get turned upside down, the phone in a 20ft deep waterproof bag will be safer.

Since the minutes won't count - I'm happy! I should be able to leave the GoPro outside, say with my hummingbird feeder, and 'see' if there is one there, change all the settings, and once I've saved enough to buy the FunnyGo gimbal, the GoPro can be moved with the phone in any direction. I can easily imagine hoisting the camera up a shroud and filming nothing but the shroud! Not good. I want the dolphins cavorting!

Once again, thank everyone so much!

:adic:

:::muvipix:::
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to GoPro Cameras