They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My 1st GoPro experiment - Shooting Blind

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

My 1st GoPro experiment - Shooting Blind

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrF_JvKokQ[/youtube]

I went with the 4 black because I want to do more slow motion work. This was shot at 1080p, narrow field of view, 120 frames per second.

I set the tripod up and guessed at the width of view. Had no idea how close the GoPro could focus. Decided along the way that I probably wasn't centered, so I moved the tripod a little.

On my screen in Premiere Elements, I saw horribly wobbly lines, like moire all along the faucet, tiles, etc., in the early part where I was moving the tripod. I'm not seeing this on the YouTube version. Thank goodness!

The beginning and end segments are not adjusted for speed. In the center I slowed the motion down in Premiere Elements 11 to 1%.

I made my first attempt at a Ken Burns effect and it didn't work the way I expected. I thought we'd be zoomed into the faucet tip. Next time I'll attempt the keyframe method instead of the easy way.

Drip sound effects are from Footage Firm disc, Nature and Animals sound effects.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: My 1st GoPro experiment - Shooting Blind

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Paz it looks good. I can see the color improvement in the GPH4 chip. The colors look a lot nicer.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Love your sink hardware! And beautiful back splash. Oh, wait....yes the video....the colors looked very good and nice slow motion. :-D
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:31 am

Nice concept, i too would have chosen water for my first experiment in slowmo.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Faucet needs a new washer. :)
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:16 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Faucet needs a new washer. :)

:hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Faucet needs a new washer. :)

Again? ](*,)

I hadn't thought about it but yes, the color does look good. Lots of blue, natural light from tall windows across the room and some small, low wattage incandescent overheads.

I'm thrilled with the clarity. Not so thrilled about the barrel distortion. That could be corrected in Photoshop... maybe in some of the video editing programs too.

I'm going to try again to see how close I can get and still be in focus. This one is the same video but this time I did get the 'easy' pan and zoom to zoom in. I just couldn't figure out how to get it to hold for a while and then slowly zoom back out. The water drops look pretty clear here. I think I'll try filming against a black background and perhaps closer to see what happens.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owlrgPfdkdA[/youtube]

Love your sink hardware! And beautiful back splash. Oh, wait...

Thanks, mom! I drew plans for about a dozen houses before we built this one. Often I made scale drawings of interiors too and it has been surprising how often things I drew happened to come around at the time we needed them. The sink is a 1950s model that used to have a metal base cabinet. My brother in law pulled off the street before the garbage truck got to it. The faucet was harvested from a dumpster when a local hospital was torn down. I can't tell you how many times Mr. B has replaced the washers over the last 25 years or so! If you look closely, you'll see that I never got around to putting the grout between the tiles. The mantle in this room is about a hundred years old and belonged to an aunt of my mother's.

Mr. B had already framed in the door openings between the LR and this room, the sunroom, as well as upstairs before we learned that door sizes had become more standardized over time and pretty much all french doors easily available at Lowes and Home Depot were 3 feet wide per door... Then I found two pairs of 4 foot wide (2 ft each) french doors at a garage sale for $25 each and some of our neighbors put a 5 foot wide (30 inches each) pair of french doors out on the street for the garbage that fit perfectly upstairs, just about the time we found out what it was going to cost to custom order that size! Yikes! The 5 foot wide doors have old, wavy glass and a silver plated knob. That always needs to be polished and doesn't get it! :fg:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Interesting back story on the sink and facet. Looks great! Great find on the items and on the doors too.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:14 am

A friend of mine (a lawyer :c6: ) has found fantastic objects in the garbage place in front of his house: a jukebox (fantastic!), a complete stereo rack, a sofa half wrapped in cellophane, a case he recovered sea stuff in (sea shells, rounded stones, false gold), now it looks like the buccaneers treasure.

The jukebox is now restored, sounds great and his collection of 45s is complete !

:dj5:
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:15 pm

>>Great find

It's the whole house, Mom. When we married we rented an unfurnished apartment because it was cheaper. We bought a new mattress and put it on the floor. We bought two aluminum lawn chairs with the itchy plastic webbing, some plastic plates, cheap flatware and a coffee pot. The $$$ was all gone... we found a giant cardboard toilet paper box behind a grocery store and that became our dining table! Soon we began shopping at flea markets and thrift stores and have made some great finds over the years. We have very few things that were 'new' to us. Other things we wanted but didn't find, we built. Including the house!

It's been a great adventure. I wouldn't have had it any other way!

>>Juke box, treasure box

Great finds, Francesco! I remember big juke boxes and diners that would have one at every table. Much more enjoyable than muzak!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to GoPro Cameras