They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

GoPro Qs

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Re: GoPro Qs

Postby karri » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Thank you, Sidd!
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:28 am

B&H emailed me that they'd shipped about an hour after I placed my order! Expedited shipping, indeed. :exc:

So I ordered this 32GB Sandisk Extreme card from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-F ... %2Fs+micro

I decided to go with the lower storage amount, but higher speed, 80 megabytes per second time and went with Sandisk because they are magnet, X-ray, waterproof while the Lexar recommended by GoPro is not.

I also ordered this accessory pack via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/EEEKit-Essentials ... 167&sr=1-2

It arrived yesterday and the components look like mid grade quality. Time will tell if it is junk or not. I believe it will be fine for the tiny GoPro, although as I've never actually seen one, I don't know how heavy they are.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Patrice, I have 3 Sandisk 32gb cards and very happy. Got them last year on sale at Best Buy. They are on sale again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-ext ... Id=9387066

You will have to change the battery before the card fills up so a 64gb won't help with time.

That is quite a haul for $39 on the GoPro accessories. Great deal! I have 3rd party accessories and very happy with my purchases. If you need more batteries, I have the Wasabi. Smatree makes a set too.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-AHDB ... B00I2VIR2M
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Wasabi makes nice stuff, but I am a huge Smatree fan. The cost is inexpensive and the product is really well made.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 am

Holding the GoPro in the palm of my hand. I can't believe how tiny it is. And 2/3 of it is hollow when the battery is out!

It arrived just before we were off to the grocery store yesterday. Santa actually groaned when he learned I'd bought yet another camera... but soon he was coming up with ideas for how we could play! I took a few minutes (about 20, actually) getting the thing out of the box. Fortunately my laptop has a 'hot' usb plug. Who knew charging the battery could be done only via usb?

Following directions, I can only assume I already had the latest firmware because no 'updating' happened. Then I tried to download the GoPro app.

NOT possible. Google said right off that I didn't have a device. Microsoft only told me the same AFTER I had to give them my name, date of birth, phone number and life history in general.

Drats. Apparently I HAVE TO buy either a smart phone or a tablet or perhaps the backpack.

I found this list of supported phones and tablets:

https://storage.googleapis.com/support-kms-prod/35E61236E9B2475D8E9C9F58AD1002A7CECE

No Amazon or Fire listed, so if I have to buy a tablet, it won't even be one I can use with Amazon Prime's music, video, book plan.

Back to the GoPro backpack. Mom, I see you have a phone and the backpack. Do you remember if you had to download the app to the phone before the backpack would work?

The wrist held view screen says they have finished updating their firmware so their wrist held viewer-controller will now work with the GoPro4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9UER3W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGOQ5HPOI923S

So... opinions welcome... does that mean downloading the app would not be required if you download the wrist strap viewer's firmware - which I guess would be installed on the card in the camera so they can communicate???

Mom,

You said there is a delay when you use your phone. From what I've read the delay happens on the wrist strap viewer and phones and tablets. Are you saying there is NO delay with the backpack viewer?

The same company that makes the wrist strap viewer, the Removu R1, is coming out with a new wrist strap holder, Removu P1 (which I suppose holds a power source too) that will be able to work with current GoPro backpacks. This is slated for January, 2015. If the GoPro backpack would work for me without me having to buy either a smart phone or a tablet, and if, as I assume, the GoPro backpack works instantly and more easily than the buttons on the current wrist strap version, then I'm thinking of waiting until January.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:26 pm

_Paz_ wrote: Who knew charging the battery could be done only via usb?

You can get something like this:
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/wall- ... C-001.html
or this:
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories/auto- ... C-001.html

There are many of these types of chargers out there, so make sure it is powerful enough before purchasing one.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:04 pm

The app is for the phone. You download the app via your phone. The BacPac doesn't need the app because it doesn't use the WiFi function. The BacPac hooks onto the back of the GoPro and uses the GoPro's battery power. With the BacPac there is no delay. It works the same as the LCD screen on the back of a DSLR. I find it easier to change the settings than going through the settings tree with the 2 buttons.

Did you register your GoPro? I checked for updates and think I used the WiFi function for that. It has been a year so don't remember. I didn't have my smart phone at the time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:31 pm

SMATREE makes some great replacement batteries. Their 2 pack also comes with a wall mount/USB charger.

I never use my camera to charge the battery. For $20 you 2 batteries and a charger, GoPro brand is way more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Smatree%C2%AE-129 ... ds=smatree

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Mom. I sent an email to GoPro, asking if there is any way to download their app and use it with a Windows 7 laptop.

I did register the GoPro, but through the laptop, not the GoPro itself. Is that what you mean?

I've tried to set up a network with the GoPro. The laptop sees it but won't connect. I got the GoPro into wireless mode after watching some YouTube videos, but it did not attempt to pair with the laptop, so downloading the app that way wasn't possible either.

Thanks for the battery advice, Peru and the Smatree advice, Sidd. After seeing the knobs and handles that come with the GoPro, I believe the quality level of the assortment I bought is really good. I can't tell a lot of difference. The GoPro knobs are slightly darker, maybe have more shine. Strength looks the same. The inside of the head strap has a sticky-ish gel band inside that looks like it will prevent sliding. Some of the straps are elastic, all have a fine weave.

I can already see that I'll probably want a cage to use the camera out of the waterproof housing. But the cost! $40 for a simple plastic wrap around that looks like an electric switch box. I find myself wondering if I can make something similar out of a band of metal gutter flashing or something. Maybe a piece of leather with grommets.

I want to see if I can 'see' via my LCD video monitor. I'll need to either find or order a regular end to micro mini end HDMI cable to try it out. The local Best Buy has a 6 foot one for $25. For that much I can get a 20+ foot long one on Amazon that's rated for 4K speeds.
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Did your GoPro only come with the waterproof housing???? My set came with the waterproof, normal and skeleton housings. The BacPac came with the same set only with the older larger case.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:54 am

The Frame mount can be found on Amazon for $5 from an accessories maker

http://www.amazon.com/Frame-Mount-Housi ... opro+frame

There are 2 types of frames being made the 1.0 and the 2.0. There were a lot of issues with the 2.0 having a bad design and cracking so I would stick with the 1.0 design. Some of the knock off companies make some really good stuff you just have to search it out.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Did your GoPro only come with the waterproof housing????

Mom, it has the "standard"waterproof housing, a skeleton backdoor, usb cable, 2 quick release plates, one each - curved and flat adhesive plates, and a 3 way pivot arm. And some tiny, not terribly instructive pamphlets.

The Frame mount can be found on Amazon for $5 from an accessories maker

That's more like it! Thanks, Sidd!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to GoPro Cameras