They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The new GoPro 4 is coming

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

The new GoPro 4 is coming

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:16 am

Yes it is that time of year again.....As many have reported, the new GoPro Hero 4 is on its way. The two big features that are appearing are 4K video recording at 30FPS on the HERO4 Black and a built-in touch display on the HERO4 Silver. The HERO4 Black is a powerhouse action camera that doubles the performance of the previous GoPro. Touted as “the most advanced GoPro ever,” it has improved image quality and a 2x more powerful processor all in the size of a camera that is about the size of a match box.

The Black will capture 4K video at 30 frames per second, up from the 15fps of previous GoPros, allowing for extremely high-quality footage that’s much more usable for a wide variety of applications. Here are the available resolutions and frame rates: 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 50fps, 1440p at 80fps, 1080p at 120fps, 960p at 120fps, and 720p at 120fps. It appears these cameras are no longer capable of 240fps. For still images, you’ll be able to capture 12 megapixel photos at 30 frames per second. Audio capture is also improved, with the new system capturing 2x the dynamic range.

On the front of the camera is an ultra-wide angle glass lens, and the camera can be set to three different field-of-view settings: Ultra Wide, Medium, and Narrow. There will also be new manual settings for both photography and videography — controls such as color, ISO limit, exposure, and more.

The camera is waterproof down to 131 feet (40m) in the waterproof case. Other features include built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, exposure settings for nighttime shooting, a “HiLight Tag” feature for marking key moments in footage, a QuikCapture feature for powering up and recording with one button press, and auto low light features.

Regarding the issue of backward compatibility, the Black and Silver will both be compatible with all GoPro mounts and accessories.

The HERO4 Silver doesn’t offer 4K video recording, but it’s the first GoPro to offer a convenient built-in touch display. Users will be able to control the camera, frame shots, and review content simply by tapping and swiping the screen. On the video side, the Silver will be able to capture 4K at 15fps, 2.7K at 30fps, 1440p at 48fps, 1080p at 60fps, 960p at 100fps, and 720p at 120fps.

For still photography, the Silver will match the Black with 12 megapixel photos at 30 frames per second. The other features (e.g. Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HiLight Tag, QuikCapture, waterproofing) are pretty much the same as the Hero4 Blk

Black
Silver

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: The new GoPro 4 is coming

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:54 am

Oooooh! Why do I get the idea Sidd has already got his order in?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:24 am

Looks good Sidd! I love the LCD BacPac on the Black 3+ to set up shots. Yes, you can do this with the app, but that is one more thing to hold. Depending on your needs, the new Silver with the built in LCD panel would be handy.

I haven't shot at 240fps because this is 480p. I was hoping the new Black would have 240fps at 720p.

Good to know the audio is improved.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:30 am

Ooooh, Sidd!

I want a full report as soon as you try them out!

I haven't jumped into the GoPro pool yet but I really want one to take sailing and to the beach. Nothing like a swamp of salty water to fix a camera, for good.

It is disappointing that they're apparently moving away from slow motion. I was looking forward to taking slomo pics of waves.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:22 am

At this point I need to resolve the want vs need aspect with those in relevant places... :)

I love the LCD BacPac on the Black 3+ to set up shots.

Mom from the looks of it the HERO 4 Silver is the same as the HERO 3+ Black with an LCD panel on the back. I agree this looks like a pretty sweet looking camera.

Nothing like a swamp of salty water to fix a camera, for good

Surprisingly enough these things are made for the salt water of the ocean. The case is all plastic and just needs a good rinse with fresh water after use in the ocean.

And if you are thinking you are still on the fence about the whole GoPro aspect they are also introducing a new entry level $100 camera called the HERO. it offers high-quality 1080p30 and 720p60 video capture (video will be limited to those two resolutions and frame rates) It will NOT have wireless connectivity through Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and no LCD screen.

The QuikCapture feature allows you to power on the camera and begin recording with a single press of a button, allowing you to react to situations and capture them without having to fumble around with your camera.

A Burst Photo feature snaps 5 megapixel still frames at a rate of 5 shots per second. There’s also a 0.5 second Time Lapse feature.

The rugged housing that comes with the camera allows it to be waterproof down to 131 feet (40m). This housing is integrated with the camera and cannot be removed, meaning the camera isn’t compatible with certain accessories (e.g. The Frame and the LCD Touch BacPac).

There’s an Auto Low Light mode that automatically adjusts the camera’s frame rates when you’re in low-light situations in order to optimize performance.

Other features include a built-in microphone, microSD card support of up to 32GB, a 2.5-hour battery, and a 3.9oz body.

Sidd

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:40 am

Surprisingly enough these things are made for the salt water of the ocean. The case is all plastic and just needs a good rinse with fresh water after use in the ocean.

Yeah. My Canon 7D and lenses are not and I've already been lucky a couple of times!

Thanks for this info - tempting - but I really, really, really want a Phantom and I'm sure I'd want the best version of a GoPro for that use first. If that meant a little more money, then it would be the best way to go.

I'd also want some of your snap on magnification lenses. Your macros are marvelous.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 am

Sidd, thanks for adding the new stripped down version the Hero. I was reading on Petapixel. Again, depending on your needs this could be a good priced alternative. The downfall is that you cannot take out the battery and charge in camera only. That would not be good if you were out for the day and wanted to swap out batteries. But, again it all depends on your needs.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Patrice, how will you use a Phantom? I've thought about one but I would want the FPV option and for that setup it is well north of $2k. I'm simply wondering how I would use it. I can only video my yard a certain number of times before that got boring, and then what?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:48 am

sidd finch wrote:

At this point I need to resolve the want vs need aspect with those in relevant places... :)

Is there anything to resolve, Sidd? The need (i.e. YOUR need) is absolutely OBVIOUS! :YY: How else will the rest of us know what to do if the maestro hasn't made the path for us other folk to follow? :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am

Patrice, how will you use a Phantom? I've thought about one but I would want the FPV option and for that setup it is well north of $2k. I'm simply wondering how I would use it. I can only video my yard a certain number of times before that got boring, and then what?

Ron,

Wishing and getting are not always the same thing... but if I had a GoPro/Phantom setup I'd use it for as much of my video as I could. I have a terrible time trying to hold my camcorder steady since my illness. Still looking for a gimbal type of gizmo that will really work for me. With my still camera I simply take lots of shots and most of the time one of them will be both steady and in focus. I have both tripod and monopod. Getting the angle I want using them doesn't happen often and they're no fun to lug around.

Mr. B and I used to go on Photo Safari pretty often. Pack a lunch and head out looking for good landscapes. It helps to have an understanding and also interested spouse. Mr. B is a painter too. Every outing is like a mini vacation. I guess we're American Day Trippers.

Many times I can't get the shot I want because I can't levitate. I tried to get out into the Cahaba River to photograph the Cahaba Lilies. The current was swift and the rocks were slippery. I nearly fell into the water twice before I decided to have better sense.

I'd like to be able to get the view of a waterfall from directly in front of it instead of off to the side. The perfect apple is at the top of a tree. Yes, I could -and have - gotten a ladder, but it often seems dangerous as I have to get up higher than is really safe and the ground is uneven.

I'd love to be able to be in the air instead of a runabout to photograph/film my friends' sailboats. Love to be able to be right about the porpoises as they jump out of the water in the bay. Flying above the beach! The colors! Being able to get closeups of the bigger waves out from the shore. Oh yes. I want one.

Considering cost, I think doing filming for realtors could give you a potential way to make it pay for itself.

I want some of my how to paint videos to have a lead in a lot like Sidd's "If a Plum Falls", which for me is an inspiration, it is so beautiful...then I'd choose one shot to be the subject of my tutorial, so I already have financial justification. Just not the $$$ !!! :fg:

_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Why wish for a drone....... :)

To capture these kind of moods.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Wow. I love flying!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:48 pm

That is so sweet. Thanks for posting. Does anyone know what causes the "wiggle" noticeable in the trees near the top of the frame in the scene beginning at 01:02? Some kind of lens aberration or is it something else. Anyway, I don't mean to nit pick. It's a gorgeous work.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 am

Here's another vid with Go-Pro 4: Scroll down to see the video.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/29/gopro-hero4-4k-camera/
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:43 am

Dave McElderry wrote:That is so sweet. Thanks for posting. Does anyone know what causes the "wiggle" noticeable in the trees near the top of the frame in the scene beginning at 01:02? Some kind of lens aberration or is it something else. Anyway, I don't mean to nit pick. It's a gorgeous work.

That is actually a rolling shutter effect, which is going to exist in any camera that uses a CMOS sensor (as opposed to a CCD sensor). The reason it does this is because the pixels on the sensor expose one line at a time from top to bottom. This results in a very minute time difference between when the first pixel of the first line is exposed Vs. the last pixel of the last line. CCD sensors, although they don't have this annoying effect because all the pixels on the sensor are exposed simultaneously, has other effects that are even more annoying which the CMOS technology has eliminated. Anyone with a DSLR or many point/shoots today will see this same effect if you pan fast enough from left to right or vice versa, as it will tilt any straight up/down lines like telephone poles or buildings. The reason it does this with the GoPro in that video is because the camera is vibrating from the engine of the plane, which exacerbates the effect. It also makes plane propellers looking really funky.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Next

Return to GoPro Cameras